Those scientist lied again

They are making televangelists look downright honest

Reply to
bulegoge

On Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 11:40:29 PM UTC+10, snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wr ote:

Not exactly. No climate modeller claims that their models are divinely insp ired.

Science is - in fact - rather more reliable than the average televangelist, but by the time a tentative prediction has filtered through a couple of la yers of marketing, it tends to end up looking rather less tentative that it did when it started out.

If you could find the peer-reviewed paper where the "prediction" came from, you might have something to crow about.

One of the side effects of anthropogenic global warming is more water evapo rating from a warmer ocean surface, which usually means more water falling as snow on the top of the glacier from time to time. The surface of the gla cier also melts faster in summer, but these are two very different processe s, and more CO2 in the atmosphere isn't going to affect them in exactly the same way.

Lots of glacier are retreating - finding one that isn't isn't all that easy , and not something to get too excited about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yes, yes they did. They are all lying to you - there are liars and deceivers everywhere. If you listen carefully in bed at night, you can hear them whispering, plotting, scheming...the walls close in with signs and portents of conspiracy. Trust orange man. He would never betray you. He understands you. He knows your thoughts and is true friend. Your secrets are safe with him...

Reply to
bitrex

More like stupid than liars. They probably believe their simulations.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

several-winters/

Ask Greta the Swede who is being scared and staying up late at night terror ized by the proclamations of "scientists"

Cannot just admit it that the priests of science are just a likely to be co rrupted as the next guy. Why did these people who proclaim to be scientifi c have no second thoughts about putting up a nonsensical poster? Why do t hey have no shame in taking it away. Will they continue to push false scie nce? (of course they will because much of government funded science is no different than religion)

Reply to
blocher

You can find financial compound interest calculators online that show your "expected retirement income" after X years of exponential growth where for the growth factor they just do a simple grade-school average of the yearly percent returns of index funds over some historical period and they sell retirement investment plans based on that, I wonder if the financial services companies who make those could be considered stupid or liars or both.

Anyway, I'm sure a good number of climate-change deniers and not alike have tossed their money at this and that based on the output of Javascript calculators, because that's "REAL MATH!" and I like the numbers the "sim" are telling me!

Reply to
bitrex

"Terrorized"? Lol that kid had 5000 times the balls by age 16 than you ever did in your whole life.

Something wrong with telling the UN they're a bunch of do-nothings and to f*ck themselves, more or less? Thought you'd be happy!

Reply to
bitrex

The real problem now is polar bear over-population. They are one of the fairly rare animals that will stalk and eat people.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

That was bad, worse than usual.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Prove it

Reply to
bitrex

Only if they can't get their normal easy prey.

I have the remains of an animal that, reputedly, did kill several people before it was hunted. Given that it is a large specimen, that isn't improbable.

But actually there are far too many things that do eat people, but most of them aren't aware of it :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Thanks to the efforts of conservationists over several decades there are about 50 nesting pairs of bald eagle in Massachusetts again, I saw one a few months ago while driving on the highway. Never seen a bald eagle in the wild before it had been functionally extinct in New England for many years. but there's no mistaking what it is. It's a great day for America!

But naturally the suburban small dog owners are clutching their pearls about it. Why do they hate America?

Reply to
bitrex

Thousands of people working relentlessly around the clock to contain the C-19 epidemic and fools strut about mask-free declaring "Pfft. Those scientists they said we'd all be dead and we're not even dead, yet!"

Fools believe in constant miracles, good fortune is always just around the corner. There's another constant characteristic among fools, a poorly-developed sense of gratitude.

Reply to
bitrex

I'll have to research your hundreds of tacky, smarmy, off-topic, contemptuous posts and rank them. I'll get right on that.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

r-several-winters/

.

orized by the proclamations of "scientists"

corrupted as the next guy. Why did these people who proclaim to be scienti fic have no second thoughts about putting up a nonsensical poster? Why do they have no shame in taking it away. Will they continue to push false sc ience? (of course they will because much of government funded science is n o different than religion)

The National Park Service hires scientists to put up posters??? I never kn ew that. I expected it was someone hired to do PR work. Perhaps a communi cations major?

WTF???

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

And he complains about others being "nasty". Sometimes I think Larkin doesn't come here for the huntin'.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

We have a lot of coyotes in SF lately, in our neighborhood, and lately some big wildcats. And wolves are returning to California.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Huh? In what world did you awaken this morning?

Reply to
whit3rd

He does like making jokes at other's expense which he seems to find amusing. Sometimes I make jokes at his expense. and he finds this less amusing. But I give him some points for handling it better than ol' Phil who'd tends to respond with the equivalent of "DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE"

Reply to
bitrex