Thompson, did you miss this?

As both Stalin and Goebbels knew and stated, there's so little difference in mentality between the far left and far right that it easy to turn one into the other.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You're on.

Remember this post...

From 30', one-handed.

Once-upon-a-time this applied...

(I haven't had a retinal detachment, but I have had both lenses replaced... much better than thick glasses for near-sighted-ness.) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Just more nonsense.
You've not yet heard of the French revolution??
Reply to
John Fields

nvented by John Fields. None of the left-of-centre newspapers to which I've ever subscribed to has ever talked about a left-wing political movement th at advocated either.

The nonsense is all yours.

It's kind of difficult to miss it, even in secondary school history, in civ ilised countries. It was an attention getting event at the time, and anybod y who reads widely - as I do - runs into different aspects of it from time to time. You might have come across Dicken's "A Tale of Two Cities" which w as a Victorian take on the more dramatic excesses of the Terror. Any biogra phy of Tom Paine records his involvement in the events - James Monroe had t o intervene to get him out of the Luxembourg Prison (which happens to be in Paris).

The Terror did kill a lot people, but they were all executed, rather than m urdered, and even the tattered remnants of the French revolution don't seem to have advocated suicide - not that any of them can be identified with an y kind of modern left-wing movement, any more than Russian Communism can.

You posted utterly ignorant nonsense, even if you haven't got enough sense to recognise the fact. It's silly enough to pass for something that krw or Jim Thompson might have posted.

l movement - did execute a lot of people with what strikes me as inadequate justification, but that matches what they really were, which is to say one more protection racket.

it as mental health problem, where universal health care might help a bit.

ession that any version of left-wing politics advocates either murder or su icide escapes me. He's not good at parsing complex sentences, and doesn't s eem to read much, but it might be Fox News.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Spare us the annoyance of discovering that you post was in response to a cretin... don't feed the troll. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

That's why all new police officers and new military recruits are in their 60s?

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The age of majority was 21 when I was young, but seems to have moved to 18 in recent years. Car insurance is more expensive if you are under 25, and brain scientists do point out that brain hasn't properly settled down until you get to that age.

Joining the army or the police and putting yourself in harms way is the kind of foolish bravado that young people do go in for, and the 18 year-old body is about as fit as it is going to get, even if the brain needs a bit more work.

Children are people younger than 18, and giving them access to deadly weapons isn't exactly wise.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

It depends very much on the child and/or adult, of course.

The 14 year olds that I've seen in sole charge of 150mph machines have been notably responsible, doubly so for their age.

However, they weren't just given access to the machines, they were carefully trained and carefully monitored by many adults.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It's quite common. I had access to lethal objects & weapons long before 18.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yep. I fired my uncle's (*) Thompson sub-machine gun when I was probably 8 years old... spun me around before I could let go of the trigger... kept my uncle running ;-)

He thought it was hilarious.

But then he had lots of military under his belt... 20 years Navy, 20 years Army, then he became Sheriff of Killeen, Texas.

(*) Darl Godwin ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

I learned to use a .22 rifle at ten. I wouldn't trust Sloman at any age.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Once upon a time we had sanity here in the US... at Boy Scout camp we not only shot targets with .22 rifles, and "skeet" using bird shot, but we also had bow and arrows that could drop a Slowman at 100 yards

...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Den onsdag den 22. februar 2017 kl. 21.20.03 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

hunters are basically the only that (legally) have guns around here, but a lot of sport arenas have a gun club with a 15 meter indoor shooting range in basement. You can start when you are 10 years old. open for practice a few nights a week and every other weekend a competition in one of the clubs in the area. to have any hope of being competitive in the kids classes you have to reliably put 20 shots in the 13mm "10"

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

At one time, any Boy Scout could have taken Sloman down with a tineless Spork.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I don't like indoor ranges, the gunpowder gives me headaches... I'm allergic to something in burnt gunpowder :-(

This is the range I go to...

...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Very reasonable fees. Do they require insurance in addition?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Very. The indoor ranges here are twice that per hour and four times that as an annual membership. The range (hunting club, really) I belonged to in Vermont was $35/yr, though it was a little cold and/or sloppy six months of the year.

Reply to
krw

This is Arizona. You have to be a member or a member's guest. My son, Aaron (*), is a member. If there's any insurance involved, it's probably in the membership fee.

(*) Aaron, the son who rides shot-gun with Sheriff's deputies for fun (and owns several AK-47's >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

An irresponsible idiot is one who would abrogate responsibility by
allowing a nanny government to dictate his every move.

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

And you posit that _I_ have trouble with the English language?

Reply to
John Fields