Ping Jim Thompson: Did you get any rain this time?

Just yesterday a dust cloud bank and now record breaking rain! Are you still dry?

I didn't see any dust here, but the birdbath went from dry to full in 45 minutes and it rained/drizzled all night after that.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Wind woke me up about 1AM... rain continually since... stopped about an hour ago... spoke too soon, just started pouring again.

It's going to be a co-o-o-old Winter back East... and energy costs will be astronomic... that's what they get for voting Democrat >:-} ...Jim Thompson

I'm ready, bring it on!!!

Martin Riddle

I'll provide the Scotch ;-) ...Jim Thompson

you

45

I'll presume you men a proper single malt, like my favorite Laphroaig. A bit peaty for some though.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Yes, I noticed how oil prices dropped under the Bush administration.

Reply to
miso

A low of $1.43 in 2004 and oscillating somewhere around $3.25 to $4.00 today. Or said a little differently, around $2.10 when dear leader took over the WH and $3.50 now. Yes, they were, in fact, lower. ...or was that your point? I didn't think so.

Reply to
krw

Aually it costs pretty much the same, it's just that money costs less now. So it takes more. Anyone want to discuss food prices ? i mean meat not f*ck ing stuffing. Stuiffing id for dad turkeys and I ain't a dead turkey.

Real cost of living is ridiculous, for GOOD food, not even REALLY good food it cranking up. In less than tewo months butter is up from about $2 to $3.

  1. Cheap gorund beef is not .59 a pound, and I mean the cheap shit. I ju st got lucky and got a beef tenderloin for eight bucks a pound.

they blame it on a disease pigs are getting. So of course they have to make the smae mopney for less product. you think that'll ever go down ? Fuck no . and the bef prices ? Wanna ask them ? "Well since alot of people wil swit ch to bef because of the rise in porkl prices, the demand increases" so the y raise prices.

Like gasoline. "Well the demand has gone up so we need to cherge a little m ore to be able to meet that demand" and then later it is "Now that demand i s down we need to raise prices to meet expenses".

In the morning, but not this morning.

Reply to
jurb6006

I remember the first time my 'take home check' in a week was three times my annual salary at HP. Oh, those halcyon days.

Reply to
RobertMacy

At Motorola, right out of MIT, my take-home was ~$100/week (1962) ...Jim Thompson

So for you, the price of gasoline HAS dropped! $0.25/gal then, $3.50/gal today, makes that what? a drop of 30%?

Reply to
RobertMacy

I used to get Jentane (sp?) in Boston for my '61 Renault Dauphine for $0.19/gal !! ...Jim Thompson

bet that was 19.9, but everyone just remembers the 19. so that means the price of gas has barely dropped and stayed pretty even, bummer.

I always enjoy listening to the "Cost of Living Index" calculations that purposely leave out cost of energy increase this time [when the cost of energy was just too volatile to properly include, meaning going UP] and the next time it's calculated purposely left out the increase from food costs [again too volatile to include, meaning going UP, too] So some how they successfully work the numbers to have a 3% increase when I'm paying twice as much everywhere!

I'm still fuming about that Forbes article. 'Telling me I'm well off' don't make it so.

Reply to
RobertMacy

"That Forbes article"?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

the links are broken but you can fix if you want to read.

the titles say it. this article apparently describes how present administration has successfully steered the world and domestic economy to stabilize the world economy and lower our deficits and increase our economic welfare.

this article apparently does a series of side by side comparisons showing how present administration outperforms anything in history of the US.

Basically both articles contradict my personal experiences, so how does one refute? There are a few points possible, for example in the creation of jobs. Yes, you can create more jobs than anyone else if you first destroy more jobs than anyone else. Remove 10M jobs and replace with 3M jobs, yes you've created more jobs than any other president. Also, there is the dollar-job multiplier that gets left out. Destroy 200k jobs earning average of $150k/yr with 300k jobs earning an average of $25k per year, is NOT getting ahead.

Again, my personal experience just doesn't match what I am now being told happened.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Thanks for the link. They're cherry-picking to get the result that, long-term, jobs grow at the rate of population increase.

From the BLS data[*], I get that Ronnie's realm was producing 3 million jobs a year (250,000 a month) average for five years, from a population of ~237 million souls. In the article they're comparing that as comparable to 2.5 million jobs in O's most recent year, from a population of ~315 million.

That's asinine. To scale to Reagan with today's population, O's economy would have to have been producing 4 million jobs for each of the last five years, or 20 million jobs.

O's actual has been 2 million a year (and that's picking only the part most favorable to O), a shortfall of 10 million over 5 years.

That's HALF of Reagan's performance.

[*]
total non-farm

Then they compare doctored unemployment percentages; the numbers aren't computed the same way today as in Ronnie's time, and the new numbers are understated. (You're surprised, I'm sure.) So, Obama gets "credit" for people giving up, going on disability, etc. Yes We Can!

By selectively reporting the derivative and not the absolute numbers they can obscure the fact that we dropped at least 9 million jobs under Obama that never came back, and replaced millions more jobs with part-time and lower-quality, lower-wage jobs.

Your points are exactly right, but you can't win that way. It's too complicated for people to follow.

Part of this propagandists' success depends on voicing false premises the average person can't sort out.

For example,

"Repealing the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) will have a negative economic impact because it will force non-wealthy individuals to spend a higher percentage of income on health care rather than expansionary products and services."

That's also asinine--the ACA has the opposite effect. The ACA has just caused the typical non-wealthy individual's premiums, deductibles, and co-pays to rise substantially, stealing money from their pockets.

So much so that even people getting subsidies are often paying more than before, and are worse off. Average national premiums for individuals alone are up 37%, and deductibles are approx. double, IIRC.

It hasn't hit employers yet because Dear PolitiFact Liar-of-the-Year[*] delayed the employer mandates until next year.

[*]

But the proof of what I just said requires data and understanding most people don't have (or want). They're busy trying to live their dang lives, not follow what Washington's masterminds are scheming. So, if you say it, very few people are in a position to tell who's right, you, or Dear Misleader. Instead they just believe whoever's "nicer," or slicker, then get back to their lives.

Median household income is down, employment is down, food stamps and prices are up, and the world's on fire. That's NOT better than before, and that's something most everyone 'gets.'

It's not working and everyone knows it, the only controversy is over why. Dear Liar's camp wants to O'Blame everyone else but the failings are his, predicted, and now come home to roost.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Sadly, 'everyone' does NOT seem to know it, because

  1. it continues
  2. articles with 'supporting facts' continue

many years went by before I finally met someone who was not happy with Reagan. It turns out he was a strong union supporter AND was an air traffic controller. emphasizing the, 'was'

Reply to
RobertMacy