matched transistors: gotta love those prices

Thumbing through a recent DigiKey catalog, I find a nice dual JFET from Siliconix, 2N5565, for only $81.90 each. Comes down to $56.55 in quantity...

DAMN, I must be getting old. I remember when these things were cheaper than vacuum tubes.

To be fair, the online catalog doesn't list it...

Reply to
whit3rd

Try finding dual darlingtons.

Reply to
krw

100 Amperes/600 Volts Darlington New

Manufacturer: PRX Other Products Sales Price $140.00 Mfg. Part # KD324510 Condition NS Unit In Stock 4 In Stock And Ready To Ship!

Product Overview Dual Darlington Transistor Module (100 Amperes/600 Volts)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
will not see your messages.

Michael A. Terrell

For that price you'd want it manufactured by nude virgins and then individually tweaked and sorted by a wise old pipe smoking gray bearded analog guru with his tounge stuck out at the right angle.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Now THAT is funny! I smoked a pipe for 36 years, from age 18 to age

  1. (Then a heart attack at age 58... should never have quit smoking :-)

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

CA3127, only $2.63 (but DigiKey is out of stock on that one). How does anyone learn electronics, if the matched transistors for a lab experiment cannot be obtained without NRE charges for a semicustom?

Reply to
whit3rd

ND

Dunno of they're matched -- Digikey used to sell Zetex matched pairs as "current mirrors"; they still might.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

You can get parts like the MAT01 for $11

If you act fast, you can get some DMMT5551-7 parts for small change.

This looks promising:

%20/T3-ND

Reply to
MooseFET

Not a dual darlington and pretty crappy transistors, at that. =20

SPICE.

Reply to
krw

CT-

We were using ZDT605s but they went obsolete and I couldn't find=20 any replacement. For the old product, we were able to find enough=20 for an end-of-life buy (I hope purchasing listened). For a new=20 application I didn't need the current thus gain, so ditched the=20 darlington configuration and used a DMMT3904 (two 3904s in a=20 SOT-363). Not a perfect solution but good enough.

=20

Zetex was bought out by Diodes Inc. and has dropped a pile of=20 parts.

AD sells matched pairs too, but they're quite expensive ($6-$10,=20 IIRC).

Reply to
krw

^^^ ^^^

Only a couple (five and 1-1/2) of orders of magnitude off my requirements. ;-)

^^^^^^^ Three here, too. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Diodes Inc only has 6 items for matched pairs now .

Vceo max is 160V FOR DMMT5551.

Digikey has all of them in stock.For soime reason the search at Digikey list some of them under singles not dual, but they do have all of them. 56 cents cut tape.

Reply to
Hammy