The Unknown Hidden Cost of the Tariff on Chinese Goods

There?s nothing worse than opening a bill to find charges you weren?t aware of. Due to the new tariff on Chinese goods, this has become the new normal in the electronics manufacturing industry. In many cases, you won?t know if the new tariff applies until you receive your invoice from your vendor, and most major distributors are now charging separate line items simply listed as ?tariff fees?. In many instances, these fees are not being quoted at the time of order and appear on the invoices without warning. It?s a bit like going to a restaurant where they change the price of the meal while you?re dining.

Understanding the ever-changing tariff issue can be challenging and doing business without the proper knowledge is a major risk. That?s why we?re here to help.

Affected items include more than just the common board level components such as connectors and most passive items like capacitors, resistors, and diodes. It also impacts completed PCB assemblies as well as the machines used in the assembly process.

For more info, see:

Robert Baer

I wouldn't pay it. Send them a check for the amount on the PO, plus shipping if appropriate.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If you would rather pay them then us, pay the tariff.

jurb6006

Robert Baer wrote

Now I was thinking, do the tariffs also go for Europe? I could order from China without tarifs, and ship to the US?

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

On Thursday, 13 December 2018 04:39:00 UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote :

ce from

hese fees are

the

s why

Tariffs are a federal import TAX based on the country of ORIGIN, not the sh ipment point.

If you manufacture a product from components of various origins and it has sufficient domestic content under the relevant rules, it becomes a product of that place, and subject to treatment as such.

In some cases, they don't even bother trying to claim any particular countr y of origin and just say it's one or more of (... list) of countries, which works well when taxes are low or zero, or even if they're equal, but not s o well when one belligerent regime is targeting a certain country over othe rs.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

If you do not pay customs charges, they can take the goods and sell them for recovery. Follow your advice and let us know what happened to the stuff.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Fer eXample, the US targeting China...
Reply to
Robert Baer

Are you suggesting that a supplier will raid our facility and seize goods because we paid them the contracted amount for them?

Ha, let them try.

I've seen hotels try to add an energy surcharge onto the room rate

*after* quoting a rate. And restaurants add an employee health care premium to the menu prices. Nice try.

lunatic fringe electronics

Over here it is: - if you want to annoy someone, get the police on them - if you want to be nasty to someone, get the Inland Revenue on them - if you want to be thoroughly mean to someone, get HM Customs & Excise on them

HMRC have far more powers than the police, especially w.r.t. breaking and entering without warrants. It is a legacy of when they rode around on horseback in the dead of night, catching smugglers in the act.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

weren?t

ou

voice from

s, these fees are

ut

ge the

??s why

You don't seem to understand. He already has the goods. The tariff has al ready been paid by the distributor. Most likely when ordering the goods he was informed of the possibility of the tariff or possibly the exact amount of the tariff on a quote. If he fails to pay the distributor won't let hi m order from them again.

The tariffs I've seen on components have been exceedingly small. Maybe his tariff is not so small, can't say.

Wait, you are the OP. Why are you responding like the goods are sitting in customs?

Rick C.

Tesla referral code -

gnuarm.deletethisbit

My internet went down as I was responding to something like this.

It was audiophiles. A manufacturer of IIRC preamps. We are into audiophoolery here I think.

They take maybe five bucks worth of metal for a chassis, add in some boards to the tune of a whopping hundred bucks if that, and then charge $2,000 for it.

To hear them bitch about it, well...

The tariffs I've seen on components have been exceedingly small.

Remove the word "waitress" and substitute a reaper of audiophool monetasia.

So fukum. Hey, YOU sell something right ? What if nobody has the money ?

Let's go. You are now equal with serfs who work for eight cents per hour.

Tariffs, still pissed off ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Umm, Rick, that was not totally at you.

Reply to
jurb6006

That's ok. It's hard to feel insulted when it isn't understood. Are you off your meds or something???

Were you trying to say someone was spending $100 to make something they sell for $2000 and then complained about a small tariff??? It's hard to find that in what you wrote, so I may just be seeing faces in the forest.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code +

gnuarm.deletethisbit