The stupidity of slimulations

And pigs will fly.

When was the last time anyone here gave a psychological test to the plumber that came round to their house to unblock their toilet ?

If someone is going to hire me to design circuits. That's it. I design circuits, and get paid for designing circuits. I walk out of any interview that is not so inclined.

Kevin Aylward

Kevin Aylward

Yes, I gathered that from his reply. Never occurred to me before. Thanks.

Reply to
John S

I use two nuts and squeeze in the hand. One nut shell always cracks. Do again and again, pretty soon you'll find that the surviving nut is hard to crack even with a hammer.

Reply to
RobertMacy

ng

ge

Odd. The first one I actually put together was for a hobby project - and wa sn't the one I measured, which was the first one I designed for production, some ten years later.

That first device - only two turns of sub-miniature coaxial cable - is desc ribed in

K P Ghiggino and A W Sloman "Nanoscecond Pulse Stretcher" J. Phys. E. Sci. Instrum., Vol 12, 1979 pages 686-7

My reference in the 1979 paper was Matick R E 1968 "Transmission Line Pulse Transformers - theory and Application" Proc. IEEE vol. 56 pages 47-62.

The paper includes an acknowledgement to Ian Kimber of EMI Central Research , where I'd been working at the time. He was certainly responsible for the BFT95 broad-band transistors in the circuit, and would have known about tra nsmission line transformers. EMI Central Research wasn't short of gurus of every type and persuasion, so I might not have got it from him.

Satellite hardware?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

SNIP

Particle accelerators. Beam trajectory measurement hardware.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Ha. My second guess was CERN, but not until I'd posted my first guess, and my impression is that their hardware has been in place for a while anyway, so I'd be a bit surprised if it actually was them - as opposed to - say - h ealth physicists using proton beams on cancer.

The people whose work ended up at CERN have been doing much more serious el ectronics than the average academic physicist for quite some time now - I f irst ran into that with somebody from Bristol in the mid-1980's, and I was getting the same story at Nijmegen in the 1990's.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And if you get too much work, pass them on to me, less your commission.

Kevin Aylward

Kevin Aylward

That's not likely to happen until the next administration. Obama has decimated the US economy, so it's rare that I have overlapping projects. ...Jim Thompson