The stupidity of slimulations

I stand corrected. Trotsky didn't like Stalin - which must count in his favour - but he didn't like him for the wrong reason, which wipes out any credit that he might get for it.

It's still arguing precedence between a flea and a louse.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

No, they get paid pretty well (~$20/hr, or better). More than enough for them to pay for their personal needs in school, rent at least halfa apartment for their term, and keep a drivable car.

Perhaps there is some miscommunication here. The "intern" programs were work/education programs; one semester school, one work. It often extended the program to five years. The first summer (sometimes before school even started) they may work in the "mail room" or sweep floors in manufacturing. ;-) The second year, perhaps they worked in bunny suits in the fab. The good ones moved into engineering and were later hired as full time employees when they graduated. The really good ones moved up early. There were variations. It paid well because hiring good people is a two-way street. An early worm, as it were. ;-)

Reply to
krw

So you are endorsing assassination as an acceptable form of political activity?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Seriously? I got the impression he was a bit of a bad-ass rebel biker sort on the quiet. A rugged, Marlon Brando/James Dean/Peter Fonda type...

Anyway, off to bed now so night-night all. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

My summer job as an undergraduate paid me what an inexperienced laboratory technician would have got. Not a lot, but probably as much as I was worth b y the time you figured in the extra supervision and help that I got.

The undergraduates who spent time in our lab at EMI and at Cambridge Instru ments definitely got paid at the technician level - which is more than they would have got flipping burgers - and we used them for short-terms tasks t hat only our best technicians (and we had some good ones) could have tackle d.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Larkin does seem to crave flattery more than most of the people who post here. That doesn't make him either vain or a pompous ass. Like you, he's ignorant and unaware of the depths of his ignorance, but that's pretty common.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I saw "Rebel Without a Cause" at its first release, when I was a teenager.

Really pained me when James Dean was killed during a drag race.

(Marlon Brando and Peter Fonda are fairies ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Exactly. They passed courses that they didn't understand, or quickly forgot. Or they took a bunch of CS and digital courses that have nothing to do with electricity. You can get an EE degree nowadays without taking electromagnetics, or any signals+systems courses.

I get grads who are afraid to touch 3.3 volt logic; they think it will shock them.

I keep interviewing kids from a local state university who had the same "class project." It's a headphone amp. The instructor gives them the schematic and they build it. It's not very good, and so far none of them understand it.

There's a false argument going around, that everyone should go to college. The colleges, and the student loan industry, are glad to hike tuition to stratospheric levels, sign them all up, do minimal real teaching, take their money, and create literally a trillion dollars in high-interest student debt to be paid off by barristas and dog walkers.

Precision electronic instrumentation

I have tons of hair. It's not vanity, it's business.

Precision electronic instrumentation

People here call that "co-op". Interns are usually one-timers, for a few months, summer break or immediately after graduating. Co-ops often convert to full-time employees; interns are less likely.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Vcd of course!

Or Vdc depending on whether it's PNP and N channel or vice versa in that particular area. ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

B+

Precision electronic instrumentation

He wasn't.

Precision electronic instrumentation

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

No, that's for BiToob circuits.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

When you design an amplifier for 10GHz you need to simulate it first. All ICs are designed this way. The software is very reliable. The whole industry works this way.

Reply to
gyansorova

On a sunny day (Mon, 24 Mar 2014 02:34:17 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

I dont think so.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

--
If you think that most of the process which goes on in your mind,
during design, isn't simulation, then I suggest the image you're

On a sunny day (Mon, 24 Mar 2014 05:17:42 -0500) it happened John Fields wrote in :

Sure, the neural net simulates. But referring to this poster, already in the seventies, when there was no IBM PC, the group I worked in did a RF link at that frequency, transmitter, receiver, mixer (I did the demodulator), gunn diode stuff, horns, tubing, all without 'simulating' (programs).

The data stored in the neural net cannot be compared to the mathematical structure of a 'slimulator'. In fact it may be and remain unknown. (You can describe a neural net mathematically though, as well as program one, at least on the limited level we think these work, programming just a different language but saying the same thing as math ;-)). And it (the net) makes funny errors too (as you and me do). the simplest way to compare the two, an example that I have given here before, is to catch a ball. The neural net, with feedback from sensory inputs, in 3D, is very good at it. No complication needed, seals can do it better and balance a ball on their nose, try it! :-) The mathematician with his quad 4 GHz core, and all sorts of advanced cameras, will still be working on gathering wind speed, altitude, direction, angle, size, time when the ball is already out of field. The slightest variable in his equation not accounted for makes his slimulation useless. And he would have to start all over again. I have now done several GHz work without slimulations and it works. I am not anywhere as good as the guy with the gunn diodes was, and likely never will be, he was just very good, had the right weights in his neural net, the right experience, the right view _OF WHAT IS -, AND WHAT IS NOT IMPORTANT_. There but for fortune, go you and the mathematician mm you and "I" You and an eye? you and aaaiaiaaiaaiiaiaia,

?? LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

This was the 1940s. It was appropriate in the context of that era. I wouldn't promote it today, though.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

tsky and Lenin were both agreed on the importance of "the leading roles of the - Communist - party" neither "-ism" has any merits worth discussing.

thing wrong.

tivity?

It wasn't any more appropriate in the 1940's than it would be today. The ps ychopath count does seem to have been a bit higher back then, but it's not zero today. Even the US has "extraordinary rendition" in it's recent histor y, but they haven't lost a war thoroughly enough for any of those responsib le to be put on trial.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to