The Quest for Speed - Book Recommendation

Gentlemen,

I'm trying to source a book specifically on this subject. Almost from the day the EM sine wave was discovered, ingenious people have been striving to convey ever increasing dv/dt signals over networks as the demand for higher and higher frequencies arose. I'm interested in how the early pioneers in this field were able to overcome the speed issues they faced with the clunky and primitive components they had to work with in the early days. Suggestions for any books which are reasonably easy to find on this subject would be welcome.

Thanks, CD.

PS - I'm old enough to remember the days when we would disassemble xtals (they *were* disassemble-able many years ago) and abrade them down to diaphanous wafers using a glass sheet and scouring powder in the quest for a few more Khz!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Those *were* interesting articles for sure. I'm just looking for a book on the subject, though. Planar Microwave Engineering does have a fair bit of historical context and development in it, but isn't specifically devoted to the historical aspects. The search goes on....

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

HoJo's Black Magic book would have been great. But it's half nonsense, and if you can tell which half is silly, you don't need the book.

The old Motorola ECL handbook is at least helpful. Don't believe the trace impedance equations. Use the Saturn software.

Reply to
john larkin