Verilog Book Recommendation

I want to learn Verilog for small FPGA degigns. I don't have a background in VHDL but I am an experienced designer. For simple designs, I have used the schematic capture method.

What do you guys recommend?

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

background

used

I recommend Verilog HDL by Samir Palnitkar. It is the best Verilog book for a beginner (people who never been exposed to HDLs but familiar with logic design). The author explains exactly what's going on in each line of the code. Other authors usually just give you a bunch of examples without explanation. The book helped me to complete my projects with great success. For more explanation please see my review at amazon.com.

Hendra

Reply to
u1000393

background

used

I recommend Verilog HDL by Samir Palnitkar. It is the best Verilog book for a beginner (people who never been exposed to HDLs but familiar with logic design). The author explains exactly what's going on in each line of the code. Other authors usually just give you a bunch of examples without explanation. The book helped me to complete my projects with great success. For more explanation please see my review at amazon.com.

Hendra

Reply to
u1000393

Al, Also note that Verilog /= VHDL

If you are interested in VHDL, I like: A VHDL Primer by J Bhasker.

Cheers, Jim

Jim Lewis
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Lewis

Jim Lewis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Thanks Jim,

I know that Verilog is not VHDL. I was just trying to point out that I don't have that background either.

I am using Verilog because a portion of my project was already written in Verilog by someone else.

Al

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Al Clark

One suggestion, always write your synthesizable code from the examples given by the tool vendors. Both VHDL and Verilog will compile and simulate code that can no be synthesized. So design your hardware first, as a block diagram or in any other form that lets you see the registers and blocks of logic. Then write your code using the examples the vendors provide for the various blocks in your diagram.

When used to build hardware, HDLs are not programming languages. They are hardware description languages, hence HDL, not HPL.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

Might want to check out "HDL Chip Design" by Douglas H. Smith.

Teaches Verilog, VHDL, and shows the schematic equivalent next to the code.

-- Pete

Al Clark wrote:

background

used

Reply to
psommerfeld

There are several good threads on comp.lang.verilog

A book I've found useful as a reference is: The Verilog Hardware Description Language

by Thomas & Moorby

Reply to
Gabor