book recommendation for electric power system knowledge

I'm an EE with a lot of digital logic / VLSI design knowledge under my belt, but I made a big change to work for a utility. I'd like to bone up on power systems. I know with "electronics" in the name, this group is perhaps not the appropriate place to ask, but can anyone recommend a good text on power systems?

In particular, I want to understand a bit more how impedances and power flows are modeled/calculated without respect to voltage, using the "per unit" system. This seems to be the norm in power engineering because transformers are all over the place with all kinds of ratios, and rather than keep track of all that, they seem to just "reflect" impedances over to one reference node.

I think.

Any recommendations?

thanks, Dave J

Reply to
David Jacobowitz

Check "Power System Analysis" by John Grainger Jr.,William Stevenson

Reply to
kristo

Thanks, I'll check that out. I was also looking at El-Hawary Introduction to "Electrical Power Systems."

You think the Grainger/Stevenson book is better?

-- dgj

Reply to
David Jacobowitz

I own one that is pretty good for this use case. But it is on loan to a colleague who is studying for the PE. It may be Tuesday next before i can lay my hands on it to give an ISBN.

Reply to
JosephKK

Here you go: 978-0-534-93864-2

Electric Machines: Principles, Applications and Control Schematics. by Dino Zorbas

It is not cheap either, around 90 USD used.

Reply to
JosephKK