The New Agilent

Sounds more like Carborundum or Conundrum, both of which might be equally appropriate. However, the committee has spoken, and Keysight is the new name. Much as I like the logo, if my scope produced something like that, I would be seriously worried. Maybe an XY pen plotter with a calligraphy pen was used to produce the logo.

Hmmm... That's available: Add it to the list?

Close enough.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

The embedded PERC's suck ass. If it's a separate card they're much more reliable.

As to DRAC - I believe it's enabled by default now.

Fun story. I worked for SecureWorks which got absorbed by Dell. At the time one of the prime vendors we used shipped Dell 27xx and 28xx servers with intergrate PERC. We were experiencing MTBF's on them of 18 months. And when those internal PERCs let go, they take the array with it.

So I escalated it within Dell. Never heard anything back.

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 14:29:43 -0800, Jeff Liebermann Gave us:

Far better name?

"Graphene"

would have been a good one. Or "Graphenius"

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

How about HP = HiPro. Or some such with HP buried in it

Reply to
bobnschenk

iHoP

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

ProTest.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Already used by Doble.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

They forgot to convene a focus group or hire a marketing company to research names.

Reply to
sms

That domain expired two months ago.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sounds like a 'Krap Shoot'. :(

-- Anyone wanting to run for any political office in the US should have to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I presume that it's too late to tell HP that a "key" is drug slang for a kilo of marijuana. This is why companies often select names that have no meaning in any language. HP would have done better using a random pronouncable password generator. Xosnatfaz Technologies. I like it.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

zo.snotface Technologies?

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

Well, Corundum Holdings owns the trademark, word mark, and service marks. Go thee unto the unbookmarkable TESS search: and inscribe "keysight" into the trademark word search term box and ye shall find 5 different trademarks for Keysight and Keysight Technologies, all owned by Corundum Holdings. In theory, ownership should be transfered to HP shortly, unless HP is leasing the name. If they are leasing the name, then it's possible that it's a temporary name awaiting the sale of the test equipment division to parties unknown.

They did hire a name search company, Catch Word Branding, which found the name, owned by Cordundum Holdings. See below.

For your reference, and conglomerated from my previous rants:

The filing attorney's name is Andrew Roppel of Holland & Hart LLP.

Keysight details:

More: Looks like HP went through 5,000 possibilities before settling on the least disgusting name. They might have done better putting the 5,000 names on the back of raffle tickets, and fishing the winner out of the basket. "There were a number of names we kicked around that would have been related to our early days, our history with Hewlett-Packard," Gasparian said. "The older employees really thought that was cool. The younger people, they didn't know anything about it. Like the street that Hewlett-Packard started on. They didn't know anything about the street." Welcome to the new "cool". Retch.

Some of the names he probably offered to HP (listed as Electronic Test Equip): such as Altagon, Altogon, Vectelo, Sightshift, Stormkey, Boldsight, Keyhawk, Boldfire, ad nausium. I have the horrible feeling that Keysight was the lesser of the offered evils.

Scraping bottom, Dave Jones on Keysight:

I still like "Logir" (Rigol backwards) best.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Reminds me of the time the company I worked for namebered (named and numbered) a new component. The Chinese translation of the nameber was "Certainly Dead Banana."

Reply to
sms

IBM's Unix workstations had the same problem. They told everyone to call it the "Risc System 6000" instead of "RS 6000", apparently because "RS" is Australian for "BS". (I guess they have lots of rats and not many cattle down under.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

the toyota MR2, in france 'merde'

the website for "experts exchange" used to be at

almost all danish tourist bus companies have "turist fart" in the company name and written on the side of the bus in big letters (fart means speed)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The marine radio company I worked for in the distant past had a habit of naming their radios starting with "COM". When I new product came along, I volunteers to name it "COM1c". It took a few days for them to figure it out.

Somewhat later, Morrow Computahs introduced the Pivot portable computer. I tried to convince them that this was a bad idea, because pivo means beer (or cow piss) in several east European languages. They eventually got the clue and when the product was sold to Zenith, the name was changed.

Of course, that didn't stop others from making the same mistake:

It "died young".

There are plenty of other examples of badly chosen names, but the aforementioned are the only ones that I perpetrated or tried to prevent.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann