The Lilienfeld transistor, and evidence of a Bell Labs coverup

As I stated: The "Bell Labs "inventors" fumbled their way into getting their point contact transistor to work, and no magical Q.M. computations were involved.", nor were "quantum insights particularly crucial".

If you read the notebooks you will see that this is true.

And the fact of the matter is, that what lead to Bell Lab's reinvention of the transistor was not Quantum Mechanics, but was Edison's invention of the "Edison Effect", Deforest's invention of the triode, and Lilienfeld's invention of the transistor about twenty years before Bell Lab's reinvented" the point contact transistor, conveniently AFTER Lilienfeld's patent's expired.

If Bell Labs had "invented" the transistor a few years earlier, they would have had to pay Lilienfeld billions of dollars, and Lilienfeld, not AT&T would have been able to license the technology to T.I., Fairchild, RCA, etc.

-- Tom Potter

tdp1001

Doubtful. From the descriptions i heard about (Nth source), it appears that these were all point-contact types and the schemes were to get the fields of those contacts close together for reasonable gain.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thank you very much for the additions!

Reply to