The Dismal Science

Don't know where you are, but Nitrous Oxide is readily available in the UK from eBay and many others. It's sold as a gas for making whipped cream; I guess there might be someone who uses it for that.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're a goddamned idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And if it had remained here the only 'folks' that would be getting and using them would be the military and you would still be watching 480 line 4:3 tube type TVs and using hard line telephones, and there would be no such thing as so much as a transistor radio to listen to the local AM radio station on.

IOW, Johnny, you again have failed to properly see, examine and note the bigger picture elements of reality.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Clive Arthur snipped-for-privacy@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote in news:s799fi$l6f$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Oh Boy! little CO2 cartiridge sized "chargers" for a whipped cream can. Wow. Overpriced horseshit.

Try to source a five or ten pound tank like the dentists use.

Readily available severely overpriced tiny cartridges. Yeah... that sounds like an attractive source. For doped up dumbshits maybe.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That is not a national news show, but two local news shows with local reporters. Driving around town I see lots of help wanted signs on places. Many at food serving and some at manufactoring.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I knew a guy who ordered a giant tank of nitrous and filled balloons all day and sat on the couch getting stoned. One day his wife opened the valve and let it all out.

Reply to
jlarkin

Intel got way behind the curve on fab. They spent most of their profits on stock buybacks while Samsung and TSMC were investing in EUV fabs. That's especially weird, considering that Intel kicked $4B into the Cymer/ASML thing.

They are trying to catch up now, in the USA, and of course want government assistance.

Semi fabs are not labor intensive like tee shirts and shoes. They could be in the USA, except for our business-hostile tax laws.

Reply to
jlarkin

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah? What decade was that in, because the stink mandate has been around since the late seventies and only medical practices can order it without the stink.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are an intelligence hostile idiot. Intel has fabbed chips all over the world since their beginning as well as here in country. So too have the transistor/FET makers in the US. Overseas production is cheaper and so too is your phone as a result. Without it, we would not even have such a technology as cell phones or even personal computers.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

While not super easy to use is a one time book code. You pick a certain book. Then at random pick a page and count the number of words and take one of the letters from the words. Only use the book one time. Maybe a magazine from years past before many were digitized.

Not sure if the story is true or not. A computer was found at Charles Mansons. The government spent lots of time trying to decript a file on it. It was later found out that Manson was shown the computer and he just typed in a bunch of random letters and said that is nice and did not have any use for a computer.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

What kind of computer? Manson went to prison in early '71, the Intel

4004 was released November '71.

Hard to imagine the Manson family buying a minicomputer or mainframe for anything. The cult had some money but not that much money.

Reply to
bitrex

It seems to work out pretty well. It's cheap enough for the users - well under a quid a hit - the cartridges are only a balloonful so fairly safe, and it's legal to buy so tax is paid and no crime gangs are needed. The spent cartridges can be a litter nuisance, but they're steel and recyclable.

When you wrote, "The only stuff you can get without the stink added is the stuff the dentists use", is that true in your country?

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I could be remembering it as Manson and it was someone else or it could just have been something I read that was made up by someone else.

Thinking things over, it would not have been Manson as you pointed out he was in prison for 5 or more years before any of the first series of person computers came out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Just greedy, probably.

I know people that would rather take their unemployment rather than work or even receive their SSA because unemployment pays more !

Geeez ! And they want to increase technical production in the US !?!?!?! Good luck with that. It is not easy employing people in the US. I think that is a BIG reason why they would rather send jobs overseas. Don't have to worry about L&I and insurance and payroll and being being sued by former employers for whatever reasons.

Reply to
boB

Ralph Mowery snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

There were no computers other than room filling mainframes in Charles Manson's day. Personal computers were not even a thought at that time. Next you'll say that he had one of Dick Tracy's video watches on his wrist.

Abe Lincoln provided the Union soldiers with a letter replacement crypto method. Very good against ANY human. Easy to crack these days with any computer. larger character sets take longer.

All it takes to make it is a grid array of all of the characters you use in your text and a simple text key to perform the replacement with on both ends. The longer the key, the harder the decrypt would be without the key.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Clive Arthur snipped-for-privacy@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote in news:s79mfm$k0n$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It is a lame money grab by the providers. And they are available here. I was referring to real sources and amounts, not tiny bubbles.

Only the stupid ones.

You think a buck and a half a hit is a good price? Wow.

Where did a non-connection to "crime gangs" come from?

They have been for decades (Co2 cratriges, etc.)... long before Kurig lameness hit the landfills. Good thing they rust away or get recovered.

and garbae collectors perform sorting and culling operations on what their trucks collect.

No. The little bubble bottles (CO2 cartridge size form factor) are around and 'legal' but as I said that is lame and I refer to more bulk sized dispensation.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

US tax laws aren't business-hostile. There's a whole USA lobbying industry to make sure that this never happens.

My own take on the US semi-conductor industry is that they were never enthusiastic enough about investing in research and development.

Tom Peters published

in 1982, and it's interesting that two US companies he saw as excellent - Hewlett-Packard and IBM - have stopped being excellent. Bell Labs used to be good, but isn't any more.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

bitrex snipped-for-privacy@example.net wrote in news:160mI.43294$ snipped-for-privacy@fx16.iad:

I guess that is what killed Manson the following year.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill Sloman snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

He should examine the tax laws of Israel. My old boss always joked that it was 105%. :-) It is certainly far more than US Citizens (and companies) pay.

Hewlett-Packard 'splintered off' in a few directions. HP made more than just printers and plotters and meters and spectrum analyzers, etc. They made medical lab gear too. Lots of it. Still at it though they 'became' Agilent.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Oh, it's not at all unlikely, according to Ken Thompson's historical recollections

whit3rd