The Dismal Science

<snip>

Liquid nitrogen is widely used. Trucks deliver routinely, and it costs about a much as milk per unit volume. You need a decent sized Dewar (thermos) flask to store it in, but once a week deliveries seem to work.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Yeah, but... some lawyer complains we don't have receipts showing that it IS nitrogen, and the 'it should be public info' principle applies, doxes the supplier, who then decides he can't deliver to THAT address ever again. Lethal injections have the same problem (drug companies refuse to honor the 'prescription' from a court...).

I was once in the habit of grinding coffee beans in a glove box fed with dry nitrogen from Dewar runoff, just so it wouldn't oxidize. The coffee tasted fine.

Reply to
whit3rd

I have given you the cite to one of the gas supply companies safety literature. The biggest problem is that no-one really quite believes it and they are inclined to just go in and try to rescue their mate(s).

The inevitable result is two or even three fatalities arising before someone raises the alarm and goes to get help. Three men died in the accident that I am most familiar with (happened at my fathers works).

Like with the decompression drill on an aircraft you must put your own mask on first before trying to assist the casualty or you will become another casualty that also has to be rescued (or worse).

Reply to
Martin Brown

It has a bad tendency to be just that. But it is preferable to multiple body recovery after the second and possibly even third man goes in to rescue his collapsed mates and also succumbs to the inert atmosphere.

The temptation to go in holding your breath and praying can be deadly.

It depends a lot how quickly they can get the inert gas out of your lungs. The original 19070's tripod thing was useless because the way the body hung it took too long to get the man out through the hatch and into a position where you could do CPR. Later designs were more like a gallows with a single thick strut that clamped onto the inspection hatch and a decent harness that would avoid breaking the guys neck getting him out unconscious. Sadly they only find out these problems when it is actually needed in anger. Far too many deaths from inert gasses really.

I'm surprised to see that it is still a common industrial accident.

Reply to
Martin Brown

When my other friends who went to art school ask me "What do engineers do in their spare time" I tell them "Well, they discuss how to most efficiently execute people on the Internet" and they're like "oh. okay."

Reply to
bitrex

Liquid nitrogen boils at 77.35 K. That makes it pretty easy identify, if you have thermometer that reads that low. Receipts aren't nearly as realiable.

Something of an over-kill - the coffee beans were dead even before you ground them up.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Ralph Mowery snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

You are dumber than dogshit. Stop watching Fox Non-news, you retarded twerp.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ralph Mowery snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

You mean the places that want to pay not even enough to keep up with the cost of living. Yeah... I wouldn't take a job from a greedy bat's turd dumbfuck food establishment that doesn't want to actually pay a good wage either. Wake the f*ck up, f*ck up.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're a f****ng retard. Construction companies do not take such chances as losing contracts and getting fined by the governemtn is not a fancy desire.

You could not be more stupid if you tried. AND you make up stupid shit like this.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You are an abject idiot. I see mile long trains moving by every day. Full of car carriers and chemical process tanks and dry chemical containers and cargo cars. Not to mention the thousands of tractor trailers going by every day, and hundreds of cargo planes taking off from the Cincinnati CVG hub for Amazon, DHL, and about ten other carriers. DhL has several 747's taking off every day. And dumbfucks like you think they do it for fun. America is chugging away just fine, despite the retarded comments of dumbfuck Fox non-news viewers like you.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Before or after they administer their daily Thorazine tabs?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Too costly. They should bring back the simple gallows. Fuck that neck snap shit. Let them hang and writhe for a minute the way Saddam did. Strike fear in the hearts of the retards who think crime is the path. Fuck all that years long appeal process. One and done... less than a year and your ass gets fried and buried or turned to ash.

bitrex snipped-for-privacy@example.net wrote in news:WAulI.162854$ snipped-for-privacy@fx38.iad:

You are an idiot. Trump went golfing. He did nothing regarding foreign policy decisions other than his retarded, advised against "trade war" with China. Trump is far to f****ng stupid to make a proper decision about anything other than not paying his f****ng bills and filching hundreds of millions from the US Treasury into his family's pockets.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Martin Brown <'''newspam'''@nonad.co.uk> wrote in news:s769cl$1b9i$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Before Freon was banned over here, makers of thermal chambers dumped pounds and pounds of freon every day each time they "evacuated a system" and that was before recovery tools even mattered. IF one does some sil-foss torch work on the copper pipes most refrigerant systems use and freon is present, it creates a fairly harmful (amount of)Phosgene gas. Good thing it lies low too, but I suspect not so much when it is hot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Put them in a pressure vessel and let them take in Nitrogen and then release the pressure and let them die from the bends like a diver that came up from a deep dive too fast. Fuck capital criminals! Fuck them hard... with a splintery NYPD broomstick handle... Then kill them.

Most won't get the NYPD broomstick handle reference.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It has been well known for decades that displacing too much of your precious regular atmospheric air with say nitrous oxide can and will asphyxiate you and there are hundreds of cases over the period because NO is a popular buzz medium. That is why the stuff racers use got the stink molecules added to it, because folks would be buying racer notrous tanks and dying left and right from using it the wrong way. The only stuff you can get without the stink added is the stuff the dentists use.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It doesn't sound like you've had much construction or painting done in California. The crews often can't speak english. The Irish contractors learn spanish or cantonese.

Reply to
jlarkin

Ralph Mowery snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Idiots forgot about the canary in a bird cage method of detection.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And the bay, visible from my kitchen deck, is packed with container ships waiting to unload in Oakland.

You are right, it takes a lot of transport to spread all those Chinese imports around the USA.

The big shrimp have been pretty good at Safeway lately. I fry some for sandwiches and boil the rest in Zatarains. They come from Viet Nam. Not as good as gulf shrimp, but we don't get those here any more.

The US invented transistors and ICs, and now the biggest fabs with the best technology are in Taiwan and Korea.

Reply to
jlarkin

I heard the same thing on NPR.

Reply to