Thankyou all !

I wish to thank all who responed to my posting " Expert Opinion Required " regarding electronics education. It was a bit of an eye opener, although not completely unexpected.Your replies were very informative and confirmed my suspicions about both colleges and mail order "brokers" :) Pity a "sheep skin" is seen more of a status symbol than a confirmation of 4 years hard work. This information has definitely given me food for thought! Thanks to all, again. Rob M

Reply to
happyasaclam007

Not so. An EE education, especially a proper 4-year degree from a decent college, has real value.

John

And a certain level of aptitude, for theoretical work at least.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Ah, a *hazing ritual*. The more expensive, senseless and onerous, the better! The more you suffer, the more you are entitled!

I hear British boarding schools are pretty sadistic to the aristocracy, so rather than feeling the guilt that many of the rich kids feel, they are angry for having been made to suffer for their elite "education".

That is why I find conscription or coerced "volunteering" programs scary. Kids that have been enslaved by the state leave with a sense of entitlement to whatever the state decides to steal.

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!

http://home.comcast.net/~scottxs/

POLITICS, n.
A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
The conduct of public affairs for private advantage. - Ambrose Bierce

**********************************
Reply to
Scott Stephens

Provided it's backed up with a satisfactory interview to weed out the bull artists. Many of these get their grades by BS-ing their cohort into providing the right answers. Been there, suffered that. OTOH, the First who used my servo amplifier design was properly grateful for the help.

John Woodgate

wrote

It depends on where you got the sheep skin. For any school worth going to it is indeed a "confirmation of 4 years hard work".

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

Some places check, by calling the listed school. Some mail-order degree houses have receptionists standing by for just that purpose. Oregon is the only, or one of the few, states that actually vets schools and publishes a list of bad boys.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I think it's also a 'rite of passage'. It shows that a person has the gumption to do whatever it takes to complete the entire program, no matter how onerous.

"Attended Univ. of X 19xx - 19yy" or "190 units toward BSEE" doesn't have anywhere near the impact of "Education: Univ. of X BSEE 19XX" IMO

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens