Tax Refunds are less this year, must be Trumps fault

Trader is right. If you had income, filing is required. You won't go to prison if you don't pay but you might if you don't file.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

If one fails to file there "can be" a penalty. If it apparent to the IRS that you are evading.

But for most lower income folks they are not hefting big penalties on folks. They merely tell you to get off your ass and file. IOW they give you a date to file by or BE penalized. If you let it get to that point maybe you should be penalized.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

quest

What you fail to note is that they rarely levy the fine.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I think technically it's income above certain limits, then you must file and there is a deadline. For example, if you made just $1000, had no withholding or I guess don't care if you get a refund, then you don't have to file. But if you're making $50K, you do need to file a return, even if you've paid all you owe through withholding and/or estimated tax payments or you'll have at least that $200 penalty, a lot more than that if you haven't paid enough. It's all kind of silly anyway. To know if you've paid enough, you pretty much have to go through and do the return anyway, unless you want to just shove plenty of extra $$$ to the IRS to be sure.

Reply to
trader4

Wrong again, always wrong. And even after I gave the cite from IRS.

If your return was over 60 days late, the minimum failure-to-file penalty is the smaller of $210 (for tax returns required to be filed in 2019) or 100% of the tax required to be shown on the return."

Maybe you should stop making things up? Or are you such a deadbeat that you have personal experience?

Reply to
trader4

And your cite for that is? Or are you such a deadbeat that you know from personal experience? I suspect the cite is in the same place as the cite for all the B1 bomber crashes you claimed were caused by fly-by-wire failure.

Reply to
trader4

Sure, but I didn't want to get into the weeds here (thought it's higher than I'd remembered).

Reply to
krw