Hmmmm?

Check out these links....

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

One wonders about what those rankings include. At a lot of the most prestigious schools in the US, the famous professors can't be bothered with undergraduates. Stanford was an amazing place to be a grad student, though.

On the other hand, at UBC, where I went, and the University of Toronto, and UConn (where my #2 daughter and my son go, respectively), the very best faculty do a lot of teaching undergrads. My third year electromagnetics class was taught by Prof. Bill Unruh, a leading light in general relativity, and many of the others were also taught at a very high level. One of my fourth-year honours astronomy classes was scheduled to be taught in the prof's office, but there was one more student than there were chairs, so we moved to a classroom--and that was at a school with 30k students.

Both my son and my daughter had the dean of the faculty as their undergraduate advisors. That sure doesn't grow on trees at the Ivies.

So the wisdom is to go to a big teaching school for a bachelor's degree, and a top research school for graduate work, when possible.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Were you hoping MIT would be #1 in both? :-)

Annoying that the second link ranks the hot categories in engineering as, "computer, mechanical, civil." So much for electrical...

Hmm... ~$40k/year at MIT just for tuition... probably around $50k with housing and books and what-not? $200k for a four-year degree? That's just... incredible...

Too bad they don't rate schools on a basis along the lines of value of education received per dollar of tuition.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

At MIT, undergrad, I had all the "famous" profs. Sometimes that's not so good. I had White of White & Woodson, "Electromechanical Energy Conversion". He was a dud, never prepared and a poor instructor. We petitioned and got him replaced... by Paul Penfield, then just a graduate student, but an absolutely great instructor... and he went on to great fame of his own. (I also tech'd for Woodson in his MHD lab, so I got some very good first-hand advice from him :-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

We had a riot one time, "$1100 is too damn much" :-)

(Though it really didn't affect me... I had a full Alumni Fund National Scholarship.)

I often refer youngsters in my neighborhood to Harvey Mudd... quite a good school. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Not caring about preparation is one species of "can't be bothered". I never had that at UBC, and had only one at Stanford--my first-year graduate quantum prof, who shall remain nameless, except that he was the one who first calculated the cosmic deuterium abundance from the Big Bang, and showed that the universe couldn't be closed because there was too much D.

Nice enough guy, didn't care about teaching.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Quantum profs seem to be like that... we had our chant, "Pless is a plick"... my "nameless" advantage is that almost all of my profs are dead ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

My other quantum profs were mostly very good, especially Michael Peskin, who taught graduate statistical mechanics, and Sandy Fetter, who taught graduate electromagnetics and many body quantum field theory. (I did fine in many-body, but dropped my one graduate solid state physics course--unfortunate, but for a very fortunate reason: my #1 daughter was born the week before the midterm.) It was taught by Walt Harrison, who was the biggest wildman in all of solid state. Completely buttoned-down personally, but completely untrammelled in physics. He was the one who coined the term "muffin-tin orbital".

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Increasingly, grads of Harvard, Princeton, and MIT are working on Wall Street. "Quants", they are called, using their math skills to skim hundredths of a percent off the stock market.

--
John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

Not undergrads. PhDs.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

For engineering, these rankings are kind of useless. For B-school, you better be in the top ten. There are so many diploma mills out there teaching business.

MIT has a good business school. Their engineering has been on the decline post the Paul Biddle lawsuit that caused government money to leave the Ivy League and never return like the good old pork ladden days. Most of the RF grants that MIT used to get go to UOFlorida.

Incidentally, with Thompson, it is best to remove postings to binaries. It is poor etiquette.

Reply to
miso

They covered the return on investment on NPR about two years ago. The Ivy League has really poor ROI for engineering since there are plenty of jobs for engineering grads. The Ivy League is OK for MD. That is, you can more or less get a decent return on the higher cost education, plus often it is easier to get scholarships for MD since you already have one degree under your belt. For business school, especially MBA, you need to be in the top ten. Eh, maybe the top 20 but no lower.

In engineering, the degree just gets you the first job. Once you are established, nobody cares where you went to school.

I remember going to an interview where these people somehow knew every chip I designed. Like WTF, where do you get that inside knowledge? So the interview was to explain how each one worked. I turned down the offer because I didn't like their gestapo tactics, but the point is nobody cares where you got your degrees. They care about what you have produced.

Reply to
miso

Very true. In such trading, they are using PTP grade timing, not NTP like the great unwashed.

This is why a very cheap transaction tax, which the fed had at one time, would generate a lot of money.

Typical hardware:

Reply to
miso

I did my EE undergrad at General Motors Institute in the late '60s. (It's now Kettering University.) Lots of unknown profs, who didn't do research or publish. Went to University of Michigan for grad school (bioengineering), which was just the opposite. Guess which one had better teaching?

I was shocked when I got to UM, because the teaching was (by comparison) pretty much non-existent. Their theory was apparently that you learn things better if you have to spend a lot of time figuring them out for yourself. So they assigned problems from the book and let you bang your head against the wall, then the next day they explained how to work them. (One of the worst offenders, by the way, was Emmett Leith... brilliant scientist, co-inventer of laser holography, but definitely not a teacher!)

I decided that the GMI profs had been hired to *teach*, not to pursue research glory, and teach they did. They would explain the general approaches to solving certain types of problems, and work out examples *before* assigning the homework. Yeah, baby hand-holding stuff, but it worked better for me. YMMV.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v6.02 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter Frequency Counter, FREE Signal Generator Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

Yep, agreed.

I wouldn't consider that interview Gestapo-like, mostly just borderline-ethical. If you hire someone you're of course looking for them to apply whatever skills they've learned at other companies over the years, but asking you to outright divulge precisely what you did at those (presumably competing) companies is very poor form.

Although I guess they get some credit for their research skills...

"Well, you see, in this design I adding a couple of unilateral phase detractors so that I could synchronize the cardinal grammeters. the only new principle involved is that instead of power being generated by the relative motions of conductors and fluxes, it is produced by the modial interaction of magnetoreluctance and capacitive directance. That's obvious, right? I presume you guys do this as well?"

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Sno-o-o-ort :-)

But I'd have no problem with such an interview. I'm working a project right now where the client wants to make a CMOS equivalent of my mid-60's MC4024 design... but at 100MHz. They found me by backtracking the patent. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

He needs to remind as many people as possible that he went to MIT. It's important to him for some reason.

And there's no point in mentioning "etiquette" and "Thompson" in the same sentence.

--
John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

And some much-needed damping of market dynamics.

--
John Larkin, President
Highland Technology, Inc

It is quite sad regarding people who have to make such reminders. Basically such people never accomplished anything after graduation.

In life, I have found the people that tell you how hard they are working aren't working very hard. If they have to tell your they are smart, they are quite dumb. I suppose it is a way they cope with their shortcomings.

Reply to
miso

Client or work information is proprietary. 'Nuff said. That is the only way to handle these things ethically.

Reply to
miso