Switching Circuit

I kinda figure... the SNR here is at least as good as IEEE journals these days (particularly when it comes to *applied* electronics design), and certainly far more entertaining on occasion!

This is a bit of a thresholding effect, though -- years ago when significantly more people read this group, the SNR was rather higher. Sadly, Usenet in general is slowly dying.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

"Balanced circuit"? What a dumbass.

Explain why a ground wire is needed, again, dumbass?

Reply to
krw

Then why is everyone here laughing at you?

Really, no fooling, they are!

Reply to
krw

Jim.

You must be reverting backwards. You're starting to involve yourself in childish behavior.. You may one day, step back to find out that you are siding with the wrong crew on matters that you should at least look into before sliding your 2 cents worth in.

The majority here on this subject, really don't know how much of a fool they are making of themselves.

My EE colleagues are correct when they asked me why I even bother to read these forums. They have dropped in here from time to time, only to not come back after seeing the idiots that pollute this area with their ignorance and child's play.

I thought at one time, this was one of those places where real professional, who knew their stuff hung out. It turns out that the majority use this as their stop off bar room visit and the last time I visited a bar room, most of the conversations taking place was nothing but fabricated bull shit. And a bunch of little weasels with little mans disease.

Yes, you all know who you are.. How dopy some of you are making yourself look!.

Thank you for letting us know just how brilliant some of you are.. gag.........

Pitiful, pro claimed professionals.

Reply to
Jamie

We need to tie Jamie to a whipping post. Then "induce" him to understand "common-mode" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

  Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

upplies

he

hink

d.

I was thinking old house. Yes you need a real ground rod if there is plastic pipe anywhere. I haven't read the NEC in quite a few years now.

MooseFET

es

If the hot wire attempts to pass current to a person who is grounded to earth ground, the GFI will save your life. GFIs also protect you if you are using a "double insulated" power tool and get it wet.

They also protect you from the pump on the swimming pool even if the ground wire comes open.

Any cause of imbalance will trip them so the ground wire need not be there for them to protect things.

one

All GFI circuit trip long before the imbalance is that big and will certainly trip on a saturated core. The winding that fires the electronics goes to a lowish impedance circuit so it takes quite a large imbalance to cause saturation.

Saturation is part of what protects the circuit from a dead short to earth. Without it a few zillion watts would go into the gut of the device.

Reply to
MooseFET

Sorry, not to start a flame war, I don't need reading on a subject that I worked in years ago before it became a mandate for CFGI's..

I didn't work doing anything for residential but it was for industrial applications to detect ground faults in circuits for fast disconnects.

The methods used today for residential or where ever these services apply, work the same way.

This is old school for me..

But nice of you to post it, in any case. I'm sure others can get something out of it.

Btw, I see my working years winding down and have been consulting with a retired Electrical instructor which still gives adult courses and is currently an active state inspector, along with being on the NEC comity. He has been trying to convince me I should become a part time Code/State inspector after my retirement. Where by, I can retire early and do that part time.

I have gone out with him on a few inspections to get a feel for how its conducted in other places other than where I've worked over the years. After seeing some of the emotional out burst from some of the people when he rejects something, makes me wonder if I want to be in the line of fire.

Currently, my line or work involves HV equipment that produce up to 5Mev for irradiation xlinking. etc.. Along with alot of other industrial processing equipment with micro-controller operations, building custom circuits for special operations etc..

I don't see my self finding this kind of work at retirement out of my home! ;)

It kind of makes me wonder what other people do at retirement, of this line of work?

Reply to
Jamie

Oh snort,,, Let me wipe my nose and drool after that one.

Reply to
Jamie

Yes, it's a shame that Usenet is going the way of the trash can.

As you get along in life, you start to wonder, where at what point do you start falling behind to those younger people coming up in the ranks?

After what I've seen here lately, I can say that I sleep very well at night.

I used to monitor these groups at work how ever, It put me to much in a pissy mood after watching the children here. Besides, the IT guys were convinced that some how I was going to introduce a virus into their system by interacting with UseNet.. Maybe they know something I don't ? Oh well.

Have a good day.

Reply to
Jamie

Come on Jim. We all know that Bill taught pigs to be ignorant. :)

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

days

significantly

Morons always do.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

everything yo do is childish. You think you know more then the manufacturers of GFCIs and the NEC.

Yawn.

It will take forever for you to post anything without a lot of errors.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Maynard (his real name) still doesn't understand why the sun rises every morning. That's the reason he posts under a sock puppet, in an attempt to hide his ignorance. :(

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Huh?

I'm not intrested in a flame war either but your wrong everyone is once in a while it's not the end of the world.

The earth ground in the outlet has nothing to do with the GFCI.The current is sensed in the line and neutral any differences as low as a couple mA means the current is flowing through somwhere or someone else to ground (ground fault) and the GFCI trips.

I'm quite a few decades from reteirment.

Reply to
Hammy

I thought Slowman was attempting to teach pigs to fly ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

  Obama says, "I AM NOT a cry baby, Fox REALLY IS out to get me!"

Jamie Inscribed thus:

We work at doing the things that we enjoy ! If it makes a little money great, if not we enjoyed it anyway.

--
Best Regards:
                Baron.

Only because he's too lazy to walk to the kitchen when he's hungry.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, really.

Because it is intended to protect personnel from a current through themselves to ground.

Absolutely not. Your word is wrong. Here's a diagram of wiring that requires no ground and no fault to ground for the GFCI to trip:

------ / Hot-----------| GCFI |----o o-----+ | | | Neutral---+---| |-- [15K] | ------ | +------------------------+

You can wire it for yourself to test and prove to yourself that no ground is required for a GFCI to work.

By the way, the diagram above is representative of how the test circuit inside the GFCI is set up. In other words, every GFCI with a test switch includes a circuit that makes the GFCI trip with NO ground connection.

As conclusively proven above you do not need a ground for a GFCI to work.

Absolute bullshit. Electric frying pans, toasters, can openers etc that have two prong plugs with no ground, are protected by the (code reguired) GFCI receptacle(s) serving the counter top in the kitchen.

You can easily prove these things to yourself. Do not take my word on it. Do some looking, and some thinking, and you will learn something.

A GFCI will trip on a difference of current between the hot and the neutral. The typical GFCI will trip at about 5mA difference. It does not matter what creates that difference: if it exists, the GFCI will trip.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

days

significantly

--
If it is, the blame can only be laid on the shoulders of
knuckle-dragging buffoons like you who, even when they\'re presented with