Switching Circuit

"Jamie" sure has no clue of electricity and electrical codes. ...Jim Thompson

"The source of well-being in this country is employment."

                - Steve Wynn, On Fox News Sunday, 11 October 2009

I rest my case.

Reply to
Jamie

If you think that is suppose to get me up set? it's quite the opposite. :)

Just goes to show how ignorant people can be, especially those that should know better.

Actually, this really amuses me because it's bringing out the real colors of many here.

It gets pretty bad when someone put themselves so high on the pedestal, and then, one comes along and knocks down that little world of theirs, throwing a temper tantrum in the process.

If others want to full in that mud hole to join them, so be it.

Have a nice day.

Reply to
Jamie

You can do it simply: one SPDT relay and one 3-way switch in the garage, and a regular switch in the house.

House Garage ------------------- ------------------------------------ | | | | | House | | | | Switch | | | | o----------------rly1---------------------+ | | +---o | | | | | | | | o-------o | | | hot----+-------------------+---o o---lite---+ | | | | | o-------o | | | neut---+ | | | Garage | | | | | | [Recpt] Switch | | | | | | | | | | +-------------------+----------------------------+ | | | | | ------------------- ------------------------------------

Switching the neutral is a NEC violation - the arrangement above avoids doing that.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

finally, some one that knows something!

I take my hat off to you sir! :)

Reply to
Jamie

:Switching Circuit : :A buried wire between house and garage has only 3 conductors. How do you :utilize them to provide both constant power from house to garage, and 3-way :switching for lights in the garage at either house or garage? : :I used two 3-way switches and a relay. : :

: :Jon :

What you are doing is simply a 2 way switching system - not 3 way.

I don't know what your wiring rules say but where I come from it is illegal to allow lighting circuits to connect to GPO's for use with general appliances. At most lighting circuits can supply lights only or lights and small fixed items such as exhaust fans in toilets or bathrooms. All GPO's MUST be on separate circuits wired from the distribution board and such outlets are NOT to be set up as 2 way switching circuits.

John Field's solution is eminently suitable for a lighting only circuit and I use several such examples in my home.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

No, Maynard has been a nutcase all along.

--
The movie \'Deliverance\' isn\'t a documentary!
Reply to

On a sunny day (Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:39:49 -0400) it happened Jamie wrote in :

Yea, but it swallows relay current if house swich left on 100% of the time.

What we need a a PIC solution :-) LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ou

ay

If you only want to draw power when the light is on:

. ----------------------------------------------------+----Outlet ! D1 . D3 ! ! O----!

Reply to
MooseFET

Yes, it's tragic, a real strain on the budget. The relay coil (e.g Omron G2R) draws 7.5 mA at 120 VAC when the house switch is on. At say 10 cents per kwh, it would cost you 78.84 _cents_ per _year_ if you left the house switch on 24/7.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Yes, you could also use magnetic toggle or rotary relays with a momentary switch at any point on the line. We do that here for our garage using a rotary relay. We have 3 operating points in the garage and one in the house using 3 wire/w grd in a sealed PVC pipe under ground. We also have a #6 4 conductor cable running out there. That cable runs outlets and some heavy equipment.

Reply to
Jamie

.

| 1962 |

Thommie CTO yr wrong ... is what the code says as ...

Steve Wynn is wrong ... Both unemployed , employed and Millionaires shoot themselves ... your earlier quote was better. Employment is about utility maximization .

Yr friend

| JimmyThumbsun TOC | GIRLIES | | Anul Innovations,Co | at all |

I love to drink wine. Sometimes I even vomit it when drunk

Reply to
Jimmy Thumbsun

--
Assume away.

I\'ve decided to unplonk you because of the "dry contact" thing which, it
seems, you seem to think you know something about.

Apparently, you don\'t, and the record should be set straight and you,
put in your place.

The most widely accepted meaning is that of a set of contacts which
neither makes nor breaks current.  Google "dry contact."

The second meaning is that of a set of low current, usually precious
metal covered contacts which need no "wetting" current to operate
properly; that wetting current being used to blast off oxides or other
contaminants at the contacts\' contact point which would cause the made
contact resistance to rise to an unacceptable value.

So, using a dry contact of either variety, how would you implement:

"How ever, if you had suggested putting a relay in place of the
lamp node in your schematic to drive the lamp with a dry contact, I
would not of rejected the idea." ?
Reply to
John Fields

There is a difference between wetting contacts and having dry contacts.

They are not related.

"Wetting" is a process that helps keep the surface electrically clean by means of small arching and the reactions that follows. It has nothing to do with the term "Dry contacts"

In Terms EE, a Dry contact is one that has no connection to any other body,component, voltage or other contact assemblies. In other words, totally isolated.

To give a classical example of a non-dry(WET) contact in a relay would be like those used in auto's. Where one contact would be connected to the (+) source along with the coil, also connected to the (+) source with in it's own body. By bringing the other side of the coil to (-, 0 Volts), the contact now makes and that can drive a heavy load. This type of relay only has 3 wires, which makes it a WET contact type.

Or, the contact may just be connected to the (+) only and the coil is totally controlled else where. The fact that one part of the contact has voltage on it or maybe joined with some other circuit ,makes it a WET contact.

Example 2: PCL outputs (replay types), until you tie the COM to a source for each Relay group, these contacts are considered DRY.

Of course, any DRY contact becomes a WET contact as soon as you attach it to something that most likely will have energy at some point or path.

Have a good day.

Reply to
Jamie

you=20

3-way=20

John F you should have looked at his link.

Reply to
JosephKK

Though the circuit you presented does work, it is not the circuit by which 3-way switches are normally wired. Nor does it meet code for the same reasons Bryce identified. =20 =46inally hot, neutral, and ground use up the three conductors and another wire or an alternate signaling method is required to meet design goals and be code compliant.

Reply to
JosephKK

Go away, you know nothing freak.

Reply to
JosephKK

it

would

source

contact

No sale here. Not for automotive usage (except for ignorant backyard wannabes), nor for PLC usage (except for some incompetents twits that will wreck your system eventually).

Reply to
JosephKK

you=20

3-way=20

illegal to

appliances. At

items

separate

be set up

and I

3 way lights are very common, but they are NOT wired per John Fields' circuit.
Reply to
JosephKK

up

I think the confusion is what does "3-conductor" mean?

14-2 has three conductors, counting ground.

14-3 has four conductors, counting ground. ...Jim Thompson