New Switching Converter Topology?

Does this... exist? I mean, has it been named, or enumerated anywhere?

Sort of like a Cuk, but swapping the capacitor and switch. Could be used for low ripple buck (drop D1 and Q2), a kind of extended-winding boost (change D1 to transistor, Q2 to diode, drop Q1 and D2), equalizing source/load (note that switching Q1+Q2 is a I/III quadrant operation), generating a negative rail (set one supply to zero, and move the diodes to a new negative rail), etc.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Tim, I'm not much of a switcher guy. But I don't see how you get current to flow in in that circuit. The two lines going off the screen are just for fet switching, I assume.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Another of Tim's wet dreams. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

If the switches were reverse polarity, it would be a DC fransformer with fixed voltage ratios. As is, it does nothing.

Swapping things means thatr they're still present. There's no capacitor in your drawing.

RL

Reply to
legg

Normally I am open to new topologies, just not any with the ?novel ? in the title

But I cannot really see the point of your topology

Cuk is famous for talking wonders about his in his words superior topology, but I have never heard of anyone using it and never seen a case where it w ould be close to come into consideration

To understand your topology, can you name a case in which it outperforms an y current topology?

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

We use the coupled Cuk topology in several of our products. It has some nice features.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

When the transistors turn on, the inductors are connected in series, and current ramps at dI/dt = (V1 - V2) / 4L (taking L as primary inductance and the windings 1:1). When off, the inductors flyback, and one is clamped with a diode, so the inductor voltage is -min(V1, V2) until fully discharged or the transistors turn on again.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

But I didn't put "novel" in the title. (Fine, "new" is the same meaning, different root, so what. :^) ) I'm expecting it's been done before, and that's what I want to know. :)

Anywhere you want a buck, that bucks in either current direction (whereas a synchronous buck is boost in reverse), where the source and load may be swapped freely (V2 > V1 or vice versa), and you don't need voltage boosting capability (where you'd need SEPIC or such).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Bidirectional flybacks, forwards and others exist:

They can be practical with systems that need a higher degree of failure safety where either side can feed the other if it fails, but otherwise remain electrically separated. Also for supercap storage or electric vehicles that are supposed to act as storage devices when needed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Here's my first switching regulator design:

Power schottky diodes were just becoming available from Motorola, and I could only get 20 volt parts, so I hung the catch diode on the inductor center-tap. But N*I is preserved, and N changes by 2:1 when it switches, so the ripple current is big and sharp into the output cap. It worked, but the wet-slug tantalum got warm.

I think your circuit has similar high output ripple current.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The inverse of the "extended boost". :)

My circuit, as shown, has "arbitrarily low ripple" on the lower voltage side, and "full ripple" on the other. So, waveforms like a SEPIC. The two-terminal version of course has "ALR" on both, but dumps the extra power somewhere else, rather than "stirring" it back into a supply (could be useful for charging caps and starting motors?).

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Ah, I drew the waveforms wrong -- an occasional downside of late night / early morning paper-drawing.

Your analogy is spot on, actually:

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

One does not need to go to SMPS topologies to do that, a 50Hz trafo with a synchronous bridge rectifier has all what is needed for bidirectional power transfers (+an appropriate controller, of course).

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

There are some interesting minor discoveries. For example, I have never seen an active clamping forward converter with a depletion mode MOSFET used in the place of the PMOS switch. Instead people do heroic things to steer the PMOS with negative voltage or use high-side NMOSes which obviously need an insulated gate driver.

It is my invention and I have breadboarded it with success in a 10W switcher just to see if it works.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

That would be a bit on the heavy side for large power levels. Not so great for people with lower back pain :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks... I didn't see the the transformer driving itself.. or whatever you call that. I've used and wound various transformers but have always been somewhat mystified.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Depends how large is large. A bidirectional power supply for a tram would definitely need to be a switcher. OTOH, my bidirectional 500W PSU based on a toroidal transformer was about 3kg, so not that bad.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

It also depends on location and whether you are married. "What's this ugly thing doing here? Does it really have to be here?"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Does she ask whether the refrigerator "really have to be here"? Perhaps the bottom line is that you could have done a better job selecting a mate. ;-)

Reply to
krw

It's called the "Amateur's Wet Dream Topology" >:-} ...Jim Thompson

           To those of us in my age bracket...

           GREEN means inexperienced and/or incompetent.