fast switching circuit/spice sim

Hi,

I'm trying to create a high speed enable/disable control for an analogue signal. I found some SD5400 DMOS ICs (quad DMOS N-type FETs) from Linear Systems that switch quickly (2ns) and I've got a simple spice circuit to test this.

The test circuit is: a 2V p-p (with 1V DC offset) sinewave applied to the drain, a DC control voltage applied to the gate, and a 1MOhm load (modelling the input impedance of a buffer) at the source, ie:

Vsin in GND SIN(1 1 1000k 0 0) M1 in gate out GND sd5400cy Vdc gate GND DC 1 R1 out GND 1000k

However, the circuit doesn't simulate as expected. With a Vg = 1V, the FET is off and the output is pulled to ground via the load resistance. This is as expected.

But when I apply a 5V gate voltage (so that the gate-source voltage is always greater than the Vth=1.2V of the FET), it turns on but the output looks distorted, as shown here:

Shouldn't the output be following the input? The FET is operating as a SPST switch, and its Rds(on) is insignificant in comparison to the load.

Also, I've found that increasing Vg decreases the deviation of the output from the input, ie with Vg=15V and Vg=100V:

For completeness, Vg=1V is also included:

Can anyone give me any hints as to what is going on here?

Is there something wrong with my idea of using a FET as a switch directly? Am I missing anything?

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
steve

Looks like your device needs at least 10V VGS to be "ON"... note _VGS_

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hi Jim,

The datasheet specifys Vgs(th)(max) as 1.5V - are you saying that the transition region of the device from being off to being on stretches from 1.5V to 10V? Or have I misunderstood the datasheet, and does Vth=10V, not 1.5V?

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
steve

Threshold (Vgs(th) or simply Vth) means just that, THRESHOLD where current just begins, series R drops as Vgs increases.

Win can provide more detail... he's the expert around here on discrete MOSFET's (I design chips... I very rarely get flux on my fingers :-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hello Jim,

They are usually happy with 5V Vgs and actually spec'd for it if you can take 75 ohms. For under 50 ohms it needs to be 10V. But yes, it has to be Vgs so the gate voltage need to be in addition of whatever the source is riding at.

Steve: Don't forget to connect the substrate when you try it out. It's separate on these.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Steve, you need to look at page 2 of the datasheet, in the rows labelled "Drain-Source On-Resistance" There you'll see the details of Joerg's description. Now, if your gate voltage is high enough above the highest signal voltage, the fet remains low-resistance.

In your 5v gate plot, however, the peaks of the signal cause the source voltage to approach the gate voltage so that the fet resistance rises high enough to change the signal going to your output. You don't say what your circuit is, but your output waveform is about right for this effect.

How did you manage to get the fets to survive a 100V gate voltage? They should all have fried instantly (p. 2, absolute maximum says +30, -25). Are all your fets shorted now? You should check drain-source resistance with Vgs = 0. They're probably dead.

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

I've re-run the simulations to see whether this is the case. First, I tried with Vg=7V, so that Vgs never drops below 5V. The results are here:

The output looks a lot better than with Vg=5V, but it's still not perfect - the amplitude of the output has decreased relative to the input, and there is a non-linearity and a phase offset.

I also tried with Vg as a 2Vpp sinewave at a 6V offset - so that Vgs is always 5V, ie:

Vdc gate GND SIN(6 1 1000k 0 0)

The results are shown here:

It's better than the Vg=7V case, but there are still problems - mainly with the amplitude.

The FET has a Rds(on) = 70 Ohm, and the load is 1MOhm Also, the maximum Vin as seen in the results from applying a 1mhz sinewave on Vg is

1.9995V. So a potential divider effect would be expected, and the maximum Vout should be 1.99936V.

However, the maximum Vout as measured in the second set of results above is actually 1.8303V. For this to be the case, it must be dropping

169.2mV across the FET, which means the FET Rds(on) must be 92.44kOhm, when Vgs=5V. This can't be correct.

So I'm still not sure about what is going on. Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone for their replys,

Steve

Reply to
steve

Steve, If you want to get fancy, you can create a _nearly_ constant Ron by adding the signal to a your control voltage with an OpAmp and applying the sum to the gate, producing a constant Vgs.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Details, Details ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Yep, or use current drive.

Come to think of it I used transformer drive on the Hubble, with DC restoration games so I could PWM. That was BC&S (before computers and simulators), I'll see if I have a paper copy somewhere.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Hello Jim,

But at 2nsec the opamp might require a call to the local utility before turning it on, and maybe a 2nd mortgage ;-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Steve,

That doesn't look too bad. You'll need more Vgs to reduce RDSon modulation.

That plot doesn't look bad at all.

Look at what the capacitive load is, mostly to the substrate. At 1MHz that does matter, depending on your source impedance.

Quite frankly my faith in SPICE when it comes to simulating FETs is a bit limited. I usually go by my "paper computer" and a good scope.

While I used to be a big fan of the SD5400 my usage of them in designs has fizzled. The price increases are the main reason, lack of stock at some suppliers is another concern I have. There are other ways to switch a signal path fast. One is a diode array and a toroid transformer. Since quad arrays are often in the "boutique part" category, expensive and hard to procure I often squeeze by with pairs. Those cost pennies.

Then there are lots of monolithic switches for wireless gear. Look under T/R switches and diversity switches.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

That's what somebody said to me when using their pool heater in winter. Until the propane bill arrived, that is.

Your idea can be implemented cheaply though. Just use a 1:1 toroid transformer and stack the secondary in series with the gate control source.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg