Surgical Binocular Loupe

[snip]

No, he's not Australian. He's a San Diego fairy. ...Jim Thompson

Why is he so angry, oh... never mind. MikeK

Reply to
amdx

An Australian who is in search of the mythical 'Spherical Sheep?

Teflon coated.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It appears that his whole purpose in life is to find a way to trigger a response from anyone who disagrees with him so he can play his little game of humiliation and bolster his importance. He feels he must be the center of attention, similar to the way serial killers feel. He seems to have found a way to justify his "Ruby Ridge" attitude by using some past event to invoke hatred in himself and spew it on others.

Some of his assertions smack of some background knowledge but his presentations (if you know what I mean) kind of gets thing off on the wrong foot. I'll bet he could be a reasonable contributor if he were to settle down and be a gentleman.

How about it, GlimmerMan? Want to try to get along with us?

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

I have something similar. It's EXTREMELY difficult to adjust. And since it's not rigid, it won't stay adjusted. Then there's the alignment problem. If you tilt your head or smile, your face shifts enough to move them out of optimal position. Move your eye off center on a telescope and you get the same effect. The autofocus part of my eyes doesn't work well any more, so there's no "slack" to adjust for changes in focus as the specs shift. Work great if I use both hands to hold them into optimum position on my face, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

My dentist has the ones that look like little pyramids stuck on ordinary glasses. He likes 'em. But his eyes work normally without them, so it's more forgiving.

I've recently been looking into the webcam mentioned elsewhere. I thought autofocus would be necessary. Lots of googling and a visit to Best Buy to look at one in action convinced me that autofocus is not a good idea. The things are constantly trying to refocus. Most people say they turn it off.

The Itel CS330 (up thru winXP) and CS630(driver works in win7) cameras make excellent close-up usb cameras. Have CCD sensors, good light sensitivity and decent optics. And they're almost free.

As a substitute for a magnifier, they work well. I think it will take practice to get coordinated looking at a monitor instead of the direction where your hands are.

I also had a chance to look at some of the USB microscopes. The toy ones are crap. But the $50-$200 ones make nice images. The one I saw had no focus control. You just adjust the zoom, then adjust the distance for focus. Worked quite well over a WIDE range of magnification. As soon as I find one under $10, I'm gonna get one.

Reply to
mike

Appearances can be deceiving.

Especially when 'observed' by an utterly unqualified ditz.

You are one such ditz.

Reply to
WhySoSerious?

Good info about the alignment problems, I think I'll get a little more info about the higher priced ones, check the return policy and if all seems right, buy it. There are times I wish I had a 10x to 30x or more microscope or a USB camera. I recently had a strange bug I wanted to get a picture of. It attached all kinds of matter to its back and carried it around, hair, insect wing parts, plant matter, etc. Tried several times to get a close-up, with my digital, but no success. Thanks, MikeK

Reply to
amdx

^ inflatable

Reply to
krw

That's *scary*.

Well, that's why everyone calls you AlwaysWrong.

Reply to
krw

ote in

.
?

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

Gee that would be nice, but I think you're dreaming. My approach is not to respond. Maybe he'll go away if no one talks to him. (not working to well.) I guess too many others enjoy it.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Or you could just analyze the macro-version of this phenomenon. You find them on skid-row. In addition to all the hair, insect wing parts, plant matter, they also push shopping carts full of stuff... also, the experience leads one to a greater appreciation of how one small twist of fate might have reversed roles.

I bought a nice binocular zoom inspection microscope at a garage sale. Thought I'd use it a lot.

The distance between the lens and the work is too small to do much. I have the extension lens that lets you move farther from the work, but then, the distance between the work and the eyepiece is so great that my arms are too short to work effectively. And I have to hunch over in a very uncomfortable position to make it all work out. Tried to attach a webcam, but I know nothin' about optics and soon lost interest.

Sometimes, it's very helpful. But mostly, it just sits there taking up space.

Reply to
mike

I knew you were innumerate, but not being able to count to two is extreme.

How many kids do you have?

John

John

That doesn't apply to DimBulb.

Reply to
krw

If I were in Australia, it would be to hunt for meteorites.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

My response was a simple question.

His response, and yours are nothing but insults. You both deserve less in life.

You, even more so, because you're too stupid.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

No. I have a softball bat from way back.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

I can improve the batting and hitting of any team, and do so for the entire team.

My uncle ran the Cinti, Storm Club for decades.

My dad took a water pump hose piece and a car jack post and made a tee-ball stand years before anyone ever came out with them.

My brother ended a decades long theft of the local little league trophy done by the local Catholic Church team. They had several teams around town, and they would cherry pick their best players from each to compile a team that statistical (and really) could beat any of the other teams in Cincinnati. This went on for years.

As my three nephews came up in years, my brother, and an African man started two teams, and toggled on coach and manager roles on each and they taught their kids baseball, and succinctly kicked Corpus Christi's asses. They won for about a five years span, and a lot of minority kids in the area learned baseball very well in those years. Our teams were real teams, not cherry picked so they can beat the rest crap.

I am very good as a batting coach, due to my attention to detail in hitter form, etc. They have to learn the basic form, and do it well. One cannot let them garner a 'style' which inhibits proper form and detracts from their capacity to hit. So, "Styles" like how they hold their bat go out the window. They ALL hold it like I say they hold it and learn to hit that way. THEN, the little defiant asswipes can make their style adjustments.

Kids like me because I am small frame. So was Bruce Lee, so don't spout off with another one of your pathetic insults. I do not have to be as big as Conan to know how to handle myself.

Reply to
TheGlimmerMan

Why don't you pick a new nym, or better yet use your real name, and start over? If you were polite and helpful, nobody would know it was still you.

John

Be assured, Mr Nymbecile, that it's impossible to insult you.

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard