Sudden Confusion

AIUI, the big savings is in closing about half of the distribution centers. This wouldn't affect delivery at all (maybe add a day in some areas), yet would save huge numbers. Another big savings would be buying out current employees.

That's a winner but larger than even the Postmaster General says is needed. He wants to kill Saturday delivery. Why not? Your three-day mail wouldn't hurt anyone, either. Let businesses pay for five-day mail, if they want it (or keep it if the volume warrants).

Excellent ideas. Now, tell me how we fix Congress.

Reply to
krw

Why make it so complicated? Fire the relief carriers and drop Saturday delivery.

Reply to
krw

What a crock of DNC shit!

What a bunch of lies. "So far". Four years ago Obummer blew the doors off all previous records and he will probably do it again.

Reply to
krw

on

osing

king

I'd rather not build a two-day mail delay into every week. Letter carriers are used to a rotating day off -- let's take advantage of that.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

on

72

rs off

Right, because his plans to increase taxes on high income earners appeals so much to them. And liberals are so impressed by the lack of single payer health care, the maintenance of Guantanamo Bay prison, and the continued war in Afghanistan, the renewed Patriot Act, etc. etc. that they will open their wallets once again.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

on

72
$

Obama has to get out and hustle money in person.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

James Arthur isn't dumb, but he's certainly wilfully ignorant. Practically anybody could come up with better advice than the nonsense he chooses to live by.

Barack Obama lives like a president, rather than an emperor - there's quite a lot of pomp and circumstance involved in both life-styles, but emperors don't make jokes with the press. As a president, he's obliged to be in closer contact with reality than you are, and has to respect the scientific facts on global warming, rather than inventing daft conspiracy theories, even though they might be more appealing.

You've made your wilful ignorance just that little bit more obvious.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It's quantum electrodynamics that has been tested to PPT levels. Gravity and relativity have yet to do anything like as well.

It's kind of you to remind us that you don't really what you are talking about before getting on to the really nonsensical assertion.

Anthropogenic global warming - as a scientific hypothesis - is under continuous test, and has yet to be falsified. Neither the predictions nor the measurements are as precise as the physicists have put together for gravity and relativity, but they are quite good enough to make it clear that we should be working on slowing down anthropogenic global warming, rather than waiting for more convincing - but inconvenient - evidence that it is "really" happening.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

That's a really silly idea. Ever heard of anti-trust legislation?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

on

72
$

Obama got his money as lots of small donations - average value less than $100.

There's no doubt that BO and GWB bought their elections - the difference is that GWB was grateful to a limited number of very well- heeled contributors, and OB was grateful to a much larger number of people who probably form a more nearly representative sample of country as a whole. You may not realise it, but Obama is consequently more likely to look out for your interests than GWB was.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

*Think* for a change: Anti-trust laws reduce the trend for one entity to be in charge.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

ng

Sounds like an idea. I wonder how much the savings would be compared to just closing the offices, real estate values considered? I hear office space in San Francisco can be as high as $60 a square foot. How about pensions for less staff? If they retire now, when do they start collecting?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

So anti-trust legislation evolved out of the regular operation of the economy, and it's enforcement is part of the regular operation of the economy?

It was imposed on your economy by an external organisation - your government - and prevents the natural evolution of the economy into monolithic monopolies. If there was nobody in charge, a few of the bigger fish would buy up pretty much all of the smaller fry and agree prices and market share between themselves - it's much easier and cheaper than competing, and you can jointly extract higher prices from your customers than you can when you are forced to compete.

Your concept of "thinking" doesn't seem to go any farther than thinking that whatever half-baked delusion pops into your ill- furnished brain is infallibly correct.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Think. Vote. Repeat election after election, until satisfied.

Michael A. Terrell

Stop all hiring. Attrition will help a lot. Promote from within, and only to those who deserve it.

Michael A. Terrell

That's called 'prostitution' in most places.

Michael A. Terrell

Certainly. One function of government is to make and enforce laws for the general welfare. Ensuring competition is good for the economy.

What's sad is that government seldom believes in competition as applied to itself.

If there was nobody in charge, a few of the

Which would put them in charge which, as I said, isn't good.

The real proplem with putting anybody in charge of an economy is that nobody understands economies. So the best thing to do is let a zillion people and companies try things, and find out what works naturally. Just like evolution.

- it's much easier and

What a useless fathead you are. You can't discuss anything without launching your droning insult machine.

-----

I just this afternoon got the first built board of my 100 ps pulse generator, maybe 50 ps with luck. It gets its power and commands over USB. I swiped Rob's USB phone charger and plugged it in. The POWER led lit up pretty and all the power supply voltages are spot-on, first try. I TDRd the SMA connectors, and they look pretty good; that's after doing the em simulations that I posted about recently.

I expect to have some code running on the ARM tomorrow, so I can load the DACs and test the good stuff. The Brat picked the USB connector and did the layout with no more than verbal hints from me.

How's your electronic career coming along?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Unless you want to buy, for $700 a square foot.

This is dot-com-boom-2.0. I don't think it will last.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

No, let's "get by" with half of the employees. *Maybe* it can be self-sufficient then, though likely still not.

Reply to
krw

Good grief, you *are* stupid.

Reply to