Sudden Confusion

t's a lot

"deal"

it,

pt

Sure you can. Neighborhoods form associations, and there are trade and professional associations for insurance, as well as family-based groups.

Those would be easier if insurance was allowed across state lines, too.

It would be nice if the gov't wasn't cramming this down our throats. If they weren't, we wouldn't have to be talking about it, negotiating for terms with people we'll never even meet.

I don't get the people who want central gov't to take over everyone's life, and who think that's okay.

James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

You would have to teach them arithmetic first. Then Algebra.... Remember they refused to learn 'rithmetic the first time.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

handful

in

Now if only that negative feedback got applied. It doesn't.

6%? That is the lowest figure that i have heard of. Where does it come from?
Reply to
josephkk

I think that is to economic facts what creationism is to evolutionary facts. "What do you mean nobody's in charge?".

We want there to be grown-ups. We'll invent them if we have to.

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

and

plodding,

can

It all starts with accountability. Until there is a US culture of accountability it cannot change. If no on is ever held responsible for their actions the society just degenerates into a police/welfare state.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

Then show us some data like i just did for you.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Some of us don't want "grown-ups" dumber than we are telling us how to live.

Barack Obama flying around living like an emperor has no idea what's best for me, and I'm not interested in his Solyndra PVs, his theory on global warming, or in forcibly contributing to his supporters.

Does that make it clearer?

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

An economy is one system that works best when nobody is in charge.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Because industrial real estate and robot welders had such robust market values? Total liquidation was the only alternative to a bailout.

The unions were stakeholders, more than those "bondholders" who jumped in to catch a falling knife.

Yabbut Saddam Hussein was killing his own people. That was Bush's argument for invading Iraq.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

You prefer forcibly contributing to the Koch brothers everytime you fill your gas tank?

But Obama's flights were no different from W's in any way I can tell. Except I don't recall W's flying into Afghanistan -- he delegated such trips to Cheney as I recall.

Re Solyndra: some tech investments pay off while others don't. Or are you unfamiliar with the high tech industry?

And I'll concede it's true that the theory of global warming is no more firmly established than the theory of gravity, or the theories of general and special relativity.

Your mind is made up, and you find others' trying to confuse you with facts to be unreasonable and unfair.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Buy it from someone else. Or bicycle. Build your own bicycle, so that you are not forced to contribute to evil bicycle monopolies.

The difference is that gravity and relativity have been experimentally confirmed to PPM and PPB and sometimes PPT levels. The global warming stuff is still untested speculation.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

worthwhile.

budget, I

my

private

handful

say in

trillion-dollar

in

it come

Someone with a political axe to grind. Oh well.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

volunteer

it.

Ireland.

.

That was a rather poor red herring. Though the issue is spending way beyond income, which the US (and most of Europe) is doing, some like the US and Greece do it big time.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Um hmm. This clearly points out a fundamental difference in where our reasoning comes from. This is good to know, since I doubt either of us are going to change our minds on the topic any time soon...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Hmm, no... but plenty of newspaper put up their own delivery boxes, and plenty of junk ads come with those. I wonder how far that one could go with that approach?

It was kinda an implicit decision. :-)

Agreed, and yet why -- typically -- it's supported by much of the public: Sometimes having the government do things seemingly-inefficiently (or mandate that inefficient things are done) is better than not having the government do it at all, because in some cases the private sector or individuals simply wouldn't "do" that thing in the first place... even though it's widely recognized to be a public good.

The entire military comes to mind here, of course (do you really think that many people would pay for their own military protection if they were given a choice in the matter?).

As does immunization of kids.

And public fire departments.

(I am all for alternatives to "economically and environmentally nuts" policies when something roughly equivalent can be found, of course -- it's just that that's not always the case.)

Sure, I largely agree. It's as I said before: What you're calling "inefficient" is actually a desire for a *policy change*. When the USPS is *forced* via congressional policy to delivery to little bergs out in the middle of nowhere, *of course* they can't then begin to compete on price with FedEx; it doesn't make the USPS somehow "inefficient."

Sounds more like "corruption" to me, actually...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

How about just down sizing the local post offices instead of closing them, and go to staggered mail delievery?

'Group One' gets M-W-F mail delivery. 'Group Two' gets T-T-S mail delivery. 'Group three' is business which gets Monday through Friday mail deliveries & pickups.

They would not only need less staff, but fewer vehicles without making people drive.

Michael A. Terrell

With a proven track record of cutting taxes for the wealthiest Americans, W. didn't have to go anywhere to collect his reelection mazuma -- it found its way from Wall Street to him effortlessly:

I'll admit that comparatively little jet fuel is needed to make the trip between the White House and Wall Street. Eight years ago, W. raised almost twice what Obama has so far.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

ng

The way the post office works:

Letter carriers work five days a week. One relief letter carrier delivers mail on the sixth day. This relief carrier must know five routes.

Week 1: Mon: R Tues L Wed L Thu L Fri L Sat L Week 2: Mon: L Tues R Wed L Thu L Fri L Sat L Week 3: Mon: L Tues L Wed R Thu L Fri L Sat L Week 4: Mon: L Tues L Wed L Thu R Fri L Sat L Week 5: Mon: L Tues L Wed L Thu L Fri R Sat R

One solution is to fire all the relief carriers. If nothing else changed, the mailless day would change every week. The advantage is that people expecting important mail, such as seniors getting their prescriptions, would not have more than three days to wait, in the case of a Monday federal holiday, if the letter carrier did not get a three day weekend every fifth week.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

You're probably right. You'll never grow up. ;-)

Reply to
krw

You do know that it's a federal crime to put anything other than US Mail in a postal delivery box, right? That's sorta a monopoly, no?

How is public transportation in the "public good" if it's not used? Why is money wasted on "mass transportation" when there are no masses using it?

Is all you have strawman arguments?

Another strawman.

...and another. BTW, where is my federal fire department?

LOL! You think it's efficient? Good grief!

What do you expect from unions?

Reply to
krw