of

ated,

l as

offers

prising

housed

ation,

was

You lacked the imagination to see where chemistry might be useful to you, and that made it boring. One year I was a demonstrator in a second year chemistry practical class for medical students. They were bright enough - the medical courses could be very selective about whom they admitted - but they couldn't see the relevance of bench chemistry to the practice of medicine, and it was hard to keep their attention engaged.

The problems with constructing bigger-picture courses is finding instructors who know enough big-picture applications to teach the subject - you've still got to instil the basics, and that means getting into detail from time to time.

But failed to learn a whole lot of less exciting and less obviously relevant stuff. It's called cherry picking.

Isolated revelations. And you don't seem to have done enough plodding to have absorbed all of the non-great stuff that you really should have mastered.

You'd need to have stuck to the chemistry or the physics for long enough to start getting instructed about thermodynamics and entropy - which we got in second year. It's apparently tricky stuff to teach, and I didn't find it all that easy to get my head around it. Nothing else was anything like that difficult.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

It's enough. (BTW, Wwwwwooooosssshhhhhh!)

Idiot, just because a ratio is small doesn't mean the number isn't huge.

Reply to
krw

ducation,

ics they

ter how

osen.

ts are

ome of the

seem to

ds where he

terials

of

very

-

le

If you can do it in two and half weeks, it isn't complicated. You may want to think that what you do is complicated - because it isn't obvious to those not skilled in the art - but that's just more of your "insanely good" self-promotion.

We got fond of DIN-41612 mixed signal connectors. Unfortunately, an SMB-sized coax insert took up the same space as nine regular pins, so we ended up building our stuff onto triple extended Eurocards to have enough pins for lower frequency signals and power (and back then ECL used a lot of power).

And the SMB-style parts were only good to a couple of GHz, where SMA is good to 18GHz.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

RadioShacks

denser

One day? Thry four, and some areas were without electricity for a month, due to the main feed from a nuclear power plant breaking in over

100 places because it wasn't built for the low temperatures that occured. It was the first snowfall at Ft Rucker in over 20 years.

Sure they would. Most of Florida is retired Northerners. Some areas are nothing but snnowbirds. I didn't see anyone in the ditches when it snowed in Ocala a few years ago.

Michael A. Terrell

RadioShacks

denser

One day in the four years I've been here. ...and it didn't even stick on the roads (5" on the lawn - gone the next day).

Most of. Unless you're going to drive over the natives, you're not going anywhere.

Reply to
krw

RadioShacks

denser

AL

They

in

What are you talking about now? Drive over natives? Where and why? they shut down schools and businesses for the very rare snow events in Central Florida. More likely is roads blocked by fallen trees along, 'Scenic Roads' where they won't cut down damaged or diseased trees. Like after the hurricanes a few years ago. If a few of us hadn't had working chainsaws, we would have been stuck here for over three weeks before the county showed up to hall off the cut up water oaks. A FEMA contractor showed up a month after that to remove fallen trees, and Progress Energy finaly replaced the last of the damaged power poles four years later.

Michael A. Terrell

s all a

ed

The Old Testament recommends 10%. Three percent is a bargain, and two percent cheaper still. Deuteronomy 26:12

When thou hast made an end of tithing all the tithes of thine increase the third year, which is the year of tithing, and hast given it unto the Levite, the stranger, the fatherless, and the widow, that they may eat within thy gates, and be filled;

Reply to
spamtrap1888

education,

they

how

are

of the

where he

Materials

Of course it's complicated. I couldn't sell simple stuff, because any bozo could do it.

Why would it take more than a week or so to draw a 10-page schematic?

You may

Check my web site and tell me what fraction of the products look easy to you.

Sounds very expensive.

SMBs are good to 5 GHz at least. You can get a very clean 35 ps edge out of a reasonable string of SMBs. I really like SMBs: they are easy to mate and unmate, and you can put them on closer centers than SMAs.

Heck, a decent BNC is good to 2 or 3 GHz.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

s education,

cs to

ronics they

matter how

chosen.

dgets are

m some of the

I seem to

cards where he

Materials

on of

re very

y to

all-

n't

osts

rove

tiple

that

o be

But if you made it look complicated, you could food enough of the bozos enough of the time.

If its ten pages of new content, it's going to take more than two weeks. If it's modifying a related 10-page schematic that you already understand, it can be quite a bit quicker.

Why should I bother? It's going to take work to peel away your self- promotion, and I've got better things to do with my time.

.

They are in the Farnell catalogue, so you could work it out for yourself. They were certainly cheaper than the improvisations we'd used before.

On a minimal retrofit at Nijmegen University we used a pair of SMB connectors to plumb in a balanced 200MHz clock and the graduate students managed to swap the cables, messing up the system. I didn't have direct control of that aspect of the project or I'd have copied an idea that a technician at Cambridge Instruments had come up with - all the cables got threaded through holes in a loose Perspex plate (which the technician called a "monkey frame") before we crimped on the connectors. You could still get the plugs onto the wrong sockets, but it took an effort and it was easy to see that they were wrong.

Not according to the 1990 specification sheet.

And they are cheaper. We used a lot of them.

And even bigger, even older stuff can do even better. Do you remember N-type connectors?

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

RadioShacks

denser

AL

They

well in

Think for a minute... Maybe because they'll be all over the road, whether you can drive or not.

It's such a lovely place.

Reply to
krw

=A0It's

or

you?

stion

not

ess

ll

and

in

,
?

Spending is $3.6T on $15T =3D 24% of GDP. So, that's the actual tax rate. That, plus interest.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

m one

e between

on

Policing--enforcing the laws--is an essential function of any government.

Taking one person's property to give to another, unearned, isn't.

The fact that there are roads, defense, courts, and other legitimate purposes to a federal government does not justify using same for illegitimate uses.

People constantly confuse those, perhaps on purpose. The fact that we need roads and spend a tiny sliver of taxes on it doesn't justify wholesale taxation for redistribution.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul is bad policy, and discourages both from greater industry. It makes everyone poorer.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

ll a

"Welfare" spending is hard to measure since there are so many different programs (~160, IIRC), none of which are called "welfare."

Background:

ed-welfare-spending

2009:

-poor

"Since the beginning of the War on Poverty, government has spent $15.9 trillion (in inflation-adjusted 2008 dol=ADlars) on means-tested welfare. In comparison, the cost of all other wars in U.S. history was $6.4 trillion (in inflation-adjusted 2008 dollars).

In his first two years in office, President Barack Obama will increase annual federal welfare spending by one-third from $522 billion to $697 billion. The combined two-year increase will equal almost $263 billion ($88.2 bil=ADlion in FY 2009 plus $174.6 billion in FY 2010). After adjusting for inflation, this increase is two and a half times greater than any previous increase in federal welfare spending in U.S. history. As a share of the economy, annual fed=ADeral welfare spending will rise by roughly 1.2 percent of GDP.

Under President Obama, government will spend more on welfare in a single year than President George W. Bush spent on the war in Iraq during his entire presidency."

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

all a

The federal budget is 24% of GDP. Roughly 20% of your federal tax dollars go to means-tested welfare. About another 40-50% of your federal tax dollars go to gov't benefit Ponzi schemes.

Total government spending (federal, state, and local) is 41%.

I think the colonists revolted over what, 3% ?

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

is it

Commanding us to help the poor is not the same as commanding us to take other people's property, against their will, then redistribute it. Not to mention doing this indiscriminately, and ineffectively, in a way that creates ill, not good.

If I rob someone, then give the proceeds charitably, have I been charitable? If my victim protests, is he selfish?

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

rom one

nce between

ason

That's a matter of opinion. The defence forces "earn" their pay by being willing to defend their country if it were attacked. I don't see the moral distinction between them and the unemployed who are willing to take a job if they can find one.

The distinction between "legitimate" and "illegitimate" you are making here can be paraphrased as a distinction between activities that you approve of - sitting around waiting for the next war or the next criminal - and activities that you don't, such as sitting around waiting for the next job.

You are presenting your own short-sighted point of view as some kind of moral authority, when in fact it's scandalously irresponsible, inhuman and immoral.

That's one way of looking at it. Since you are presenting a personal prejudice as an absolute moral imperative you can be legitimately accused of practicing a deceitful confusion of your own cheapskate evasion of your responsibilities to your fellow citizens.

Collecting taxers to pay for social security is no more robbery than collecting taxes to pay for defence. The claim that social security payments discourage the recipients from great industry depends on the myth of the dependency culture. Charles Murray has popularised the idea, along with a number of others that sound good to rich Republicans, but it's not based on any kind of in-depth research, and the people who have done the in-depth research found that the over- whelming majority of those collecting unemployment benefit would much rather have had a job, and were actively looking for work.

presents a rather more sophisticated analysis of current "moral" attitudes. James Arthur comes out of it as a cartoon right-wing nitwit, as you'd expect.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

's all a

of

eed

Today's tax avoiders realise that society now provides more - and more valuable - services than England offered to the US colonists in 1775. There's now rather more baby to be thrown out with the bath-water.

James Arthur doesn't understand or recognise quite a few of these services - his right-wing ideological blinkers blind him to a large area of reality. It's depressingly pathetic.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

RadioShacks

10x denser

Actually, AL

They

the

well in

Think for yourself. I don't drive much, anymore and I have no reason to be out in bad weather.

WTF would you expect after a hurricane or tornados in any location with trees? The damn greenies compounded the problem, by making it difficult or impossible to remove dying trees. You don't like Florida, so stay in Hellabama.

Michael A. Terrell

all a

of-mean...

t...

James Arthur quotes the Heritage Foundation's right-wing nitwit opinions as if they were some kind of evidence, as opposed to right- wing delusion neatly packaged to appeal to well-off right-wing nitwits, all part of nonsense-for-hire industry. Oddly enough, the Heritage Foundation doesn't peddle denialist propaganda discounting anthropogenic global warming

being more interested in persuading the US to pursue an "anti- communist" foreign policy, presumably because anti-communist governments can be relied on to be anti-trade union, and sympathetic to providing cheap labour to American capitalists.

Since the last surviving "communist" bastion - China - is now selling cheap labour to American capitalists on an extraordinarily large scale, one wonders what the Heritage Foundation has got left to do. James Arthur hasn't got enough money to be part of their target audience, though he pretends to prosperity by claiming to have rich- people prejudices.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

RadioShacks

10x denser

Actually, AL

They

the

well in

Then why in the hell did you bring it up?

Yes, I expected FL to be filled-in hole. I was not disappointed.

Reply to
krw