student project

IOW, you think in gray, on a gray background?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Nov 2010 07:19:25 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Language' by K&R.

consider BASIC again.

Well, as somebody else mentioned, this is all a software religious thing. Scanf() is nice to parse config files written by printf(). I do that a lot. Embedded systems get more CPU power and more memory all the time, and run Linux sometimes. An other reason to use C. Many good libraries exist in C. Any bad software can kill people, also driving with both eyes closed while thinking about how good BASIC is.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Nov 2010 15:47:58 +0000 (UTC)) it happened Warren wrote in :

I consider Linux a large project, with many contributing programmers. It is written in C. Probably the largest project I know about and have participated in. I think ADA was pushed by US DOD at one time, I even bought a book on it in the eighties. Looked at it again several times, but did see no reason to leave C. It is a bit like Verilog versus VHDL, with VHDL on the ADA side. I am sure both languages can do what you need, I prefer the one with less typing overhead :-)

Maybe, in case of many 'things' that need to happen, I just write an other application on my Linux system in C. I have written many multi-threaded C programs, sure there are pitfalls, but there are also pitfalls crossing the road if you do not watch out. Some people do not like C pointers, I think that is a strong feature of C.

hmm

Although I try to avoid macro definition in C, I do use those, and those can be very useful.

Yes. C++ is not a language though, it is a speech disability. hehe

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

PRINT USING lets you create a format string (as an immediate, or as a string variable defined somewhere else) that looks exactly like what you'll get. And it mixes data types (numbers, string variables, string literals), so one picture tells the whole story.

LOCATE 21,5 : PRINT USING$("Gamma ###.##", GM!) ' DISPLAY SEMI-USELESS BRIGHTNESS FACTOR

John

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:28:43 -0800) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

It functions beautifully.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Nov 2010 10:59:15 -0800) it happened Fred Abse wrote in :

Over here the paper is white, and the pecil black, it is just normal A4. Clean your monitor ? Sanskrit, how dare you :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Perhaps meant lightly, but that is a deep question. Quite a lot, it seems to me. That's why the word is in my personal mission statement.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

eighties.

typing overhead :-)

Some people prefer fewer airplanes falling out of the sky. They make the extra effort to code in Ada.

John

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:10:18 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

SEMI-USELESS BRIGHTNESS FACTOR

Yes, but that is all to a user. In many of my C programs I print to a file that is parsed by an other - or the same program later. Those files can be incredibly complex. For example a setup file that holds parameters can have many variables that are read at startup to put the program back in the last state it had before it was closed, is read by scanf() and parsed at startup. Do your BASIC program save state? Sometimes there are many of those setup files for one program, even some in ASCII form. Sometimes I execute system calls from within a program to get system data, redirect that output to a file, or a pipe, and parse with a scanf() variant. Unix is a beautiful system to use C in.

Anyways, use what you like.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Nov 2010 11:26:58 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

the eighties.

typing overhead :-)

ADA would explain why so many fall out of the sky. Anyways, I just designed some nice new stuff, the hardware is working with the test software, now I have to write the final code in PIC asm... So all this talk is just an incredible waste of time... LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Just a couple of days ago a super-duper airplane coded in Ada fall off the sky.

It turns out most people prefer more of airplanes and cheaper tickets. As for falling down, it will be eventually fixed. Different business model, hehe.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

That is 'Americans (with) Disabilities Act', a set of federal laws designed to protect the disabled from idiots, bullies and con men.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist!  I m just a very ticked
off scientist!!!

Huh ???

Most of the programmers are elephant riders or rice farmers. They enjoy clean well paying job from 8 till 5, and they don't dive a damn about code beauty or design challenge.

99.99% of the programmer's tasks just have to be done once forewer. They don't have to be done for good; they just have to be done somehow and on time, if possible. This is the reality.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

John Larkin expounded in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm one of the unpaid volunteers (open source). ;-)

Warren

Reply to
Warren

So mode it be.

hamilton

Jan Panteltje expounded in news:ic3ti4$vgi$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Ada programs can invoke C libraries too, btw. ;-)

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Joel Koltner expounded in news:8XdFo.88945$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-02.dc.easynews.com:

Or you can follow the blechy python crowd, where the indentation is signicant.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Jan Panteltje expounded in news:ic3v9m$2ir$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net:

Debugging is often the biggest waste of time. This is one area where Ada excells at saving you from yourself. ;-)

Warren

Reply to
Warren

That's because programmers don't get respect anymore. They say "we'll code it ourselves in VB, using Access". "We took VB at nightschool..."

And one day when they find out that a mistake has gone unnoticed for 6 months that affect client accounts, head(s) go rolling... But soon the lesson is forgotten and the cycle starts again...

Don't get me started ;-)

Warren

Reply to
Warren

[snip]

I was surprised when my son (the software guru) told me a month or so ago that he'd bought some farm land in San Tan Valley. Then I was pleased... a way to survive the Obamateur depression :-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I'll have you know that I have never once referred to anyone here as being a member of the ignorant, hateful, ugly, mooching class.

I have always been kind, referring to them by their own chosen name... Democrats O:-)