design student in need of help with a lighting project -- will pay!

Boy do you have a lot to learn...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

I am a design student at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. I have a project/prototype due this Thursday and wanted to see if this is something you (or someone you know) could be able to help me out with. It doesn't have to look great, just work. I can design the housing (if necessary) around whatever the outcome is

Essentially, this would be a motion detector hack.

The parameters around what I need to be built:

- an occupancy sensor that screws into and is powered by an existing medium-base light socket -- the bulb then screws into the sensor

- if the sensor doesn't detect someone, the light runs at 80% of its maximum output

- when the sensor detects someone, the light output increases to full capacity (i would like this to be a smooth transition/fade, instead of on/off)

- 15-seconds (adjustable if possible) after area is unoccupied, the light decreases back to 20%

If you need a visual representation, please let me know. I will be more than happy to pay for parts and materials, as well as a reasonable rate for labor. Or if you would like to barter, I am an award-winning graphic/web designer and can help you out in that area.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Reply to
jason

How big is the area you wish to monitor?

Reply to
Bob Monsen

Well, for this prototype it could be as little as 25' in diameter. Again, thanks for the response.

Jason

Reply to
jason

You could do this by hacking into a yard sensor. You might even be able to simply use the sensor; just have two light sources, one at 20% intensity, and the other controlled by the yard sensor.

Unfortunately, the two problems you will have is A) setting the thing to turn off in 15 seconds, and B) the fadein/fadeout.

A microcontroller circuit to fade in and out the light when it's enabled is simple, but you won't even be able to get parts by thursday...

--
Regards,
  Bob Monsen