street view

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7613013,-122.4041956,3a,75y,190.53h,98.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj34d_vTk4As6QtNg65DjXg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en Just head south on Vermont for a few more blocks.

Reply to
jlarkin

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike:

bitrex

Very constructive observation, except for the parts about little and passages and all alike.

When I was in engineering school, a prof told us that freeway ramps couldn't be steeper than 5% grade, or the drivers would panic. We have one street here that's 41%.

Reply to
jlarkin

Looks very midcentury, no greenery except those stunted little trees.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Am 24.09.21 um 18:08 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

You have never ever played Rougue or nethack?

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

There are footpaths parallel to the twisty part of Vermont, all green and woodsy. Of course, this is California, with maybe 20" of annual rainfall, so it doesn't look like Louisiana.

Close by is McKinley Square and three nice public gardens. Carolina street is cool.

SF is green and wild compared to most big cities. NYC is a horror.

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Fri, 24 Sep 2021 08:22:49 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

View from my first floor 'work room' (where the soldering iron lives):

little trees produce apples now...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Those non-uniform evergreen ones look like California wax myrtle, not a bad choice but the maintenance has been lacking.

Fred Bloggs

Most of the plants here are non-native. Sf was a lot of sand dunes once. The eucalyptus trees are especially hated.

I wrote a small text adventure like Colossal Cave in Turbo Pascal along with a (not as great) Breakout clone in high school, some of my first "real" programming. Unfortunately the lil binder with the 3.5" floppies with the code on them in it got lost in a move at some point, before I thought to back them up, they probably would be bit-rotted to hell by now anyway

Reply to
bitrex

It's nice to have a work place by a window, to see some sky and trees and birds and stuff.

Is that snow?

Reply to
jlarkin

On a sunny day (Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:28:50 -0700) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The extra light helps too to see very small things, it is facing south, and nice and warm with the sun shining in.

Yes, picture was taken on Easter, real snow! I did lot last on the ground though.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'm envious. I remember cold, gray, overcast, rainy days with a hot soldering iron in a warm shop with my dad. Perfect reason to be tinkering with electronics.

Reply to
John S

That seems a little unlikely. At most 25% maybe.

The steepest street in the world accolade goes to one in Wales which recently took it off New Zealand in 2019 according to the Guinness book of records 36% vs 35% apparently.

Most US saloon cars wouldn't be able to get up a 40% grade.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Eucalyptus would end up lifting the sidewalk and the street.

The City of Los Angeles estimates there are over ten thousand miles of damaged sidewalks within the city limits, 40% of the damage caused by street trees.
"Over the decades, many newer street tree species have been developed that provide desirable growth characteristics while minimizing damaging invasive root systems and towering canopies that conflict with traffic and overhead utilities."

I'd like to know what those newer tree species are. Never heard of anyone developing a new plant species.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I have to point out that is "disputed"; here's the contender. The houses and scrapemarks give a visceral idea of the steepness.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4407748,-2.5725355,3a,75y,11.48h,91.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEPIvwqdCOFBUGZJ7oAldww!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

This is an infamous main road at 25%, with plenty of gravel runouts in case of brake failure. There is a "bypass", but it was privately constructed and a toll is payable.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2047932,-3.6063169,3a,46.1y,25.52h,76.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sme94IXfuqqqhcl5J6YQ-Ow!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Certainly it's unlikely. Bradford Street, just above the Alemany Farmers Market. Great fresh veggies every Saturday morning. Cranberry Beans and fruits are in season. Parking down there is a nightmare, so we park at the top of the Tompkins Stairs and hike down. We seldom buy watermelons.

We have several streets here that are over 30%, and some brutal stairs.

jlarkin

I've never seen one on a street. They are in parks and in our canyon.

They drop a carpet of oily leaves and are basically firebombs. Some of the local green-nuts girdle them to kill them, and plant poison oak, which is a native species.

It's a city, for Pete's sake. If they want to live in pure unspoiled Nature, they should move to the Mojave Desert.

Reply to
jlarkin

What's a "saloon car" like does it have a bar with a mini-fridge in the back

Reply to
bitrex

a sedan if you are not in the UK

Reply to