Stepped sine wave

Well, they're a fair amount faster, which means that the edge artifacts aren't as serious, and their output resistance is less, which means that the total resistance in each tap is more predictable.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

=A0I

at

new

=3DR7=3D15.3k,

it=92s so

th

e to

f so,

=A0I

ept

Yes. Higher Vdd helps the CD4017 too.

There's still the idea of adding a switched-cap tracking filter, running at 50f or 100f, etc.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

k. =A0I

e at

ne

h new

3=3DR7=3D15.3k,

y it=92s so

11th

due to

=A0If so,

the

=A0I

xcept

cts

Yeah, a switched cap filter on the back side might be cool. Then the thing wouldn't be limited on the low frequency end. I've got some from another project.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It'd be trivial to make an N-path filter following a square wave, then a simple-minded smoothing R/C. ...Jim Thompson

=A0I

at

new

=3DR7=3D15.3k,

it=92s so

th

so,

Hi James, Yeah I was loading down the output of the 4017. I measured an output impedance of ~180 ohms. I put this number in and recalcualted values, and then selected them to ~0.1% with a DMM. The result.... I've got all the harmonics below the 9th down by ~70dB! I don't know how repeatable the the output imedance is? I put in a few different 4017's and say no difference, but these were all from the same order, so...

Here's a plot from the SRS770.

Now I've got to get it off the white proto-board and crank up the frequency.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

week. =A0I

Phil

wave at

gh

p.

sine

each new

, R3=3DR7=3D15.3k,

er.

why it=92s so

nd 11th

be due to

=A0If so,

d at

ge the

n. =A0I

ng

, except

ifacts

that

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

Hmm, not trivail for me since I have no idea what an N-path filter is. But I'm googling...

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

k. =A0I

e at

ne

h new

3=3DR7=3D15.3k,

y it=92s so

11th

ue to

If so,

=A0I

ept

na

.png/

Beautiful, and well worth the resistors, right? Compared to the cost and complexity of extra hardware, it's a bargain.

For each half-wave, I'd analyze this as the sum of three impulses, one inside the other, added together. The phasing and amplitude of those impulses is critical to canceling harmonics.

.---. .--' '--. | | .-' '-. ___| |___ | | -' '-

My gut wants to say--but I'm too lazy to prove right now--that having the same voltages repeated symmetrically on either side of each peak is critical to harmonic rejection.

Where the voltage is unequal on either side, you introduce a new impulse with a magnitude equal to the difference in voltages. It's easy to *introduce* a 2nd harmonic component that way. For example, taking the middle impulse:

.-----. | '----. | | | | | ___|__________|_________|__ | | | | |____ | '----'

My original thinking was to have an up/down counter, a single homemade DAC, cycle up and down through the same (sine-weighted) values, then invert (externally) for the negative swing. That gets you 4x as many steps and automatic symmetry, but it's not nearly as cute as Phil's

4017.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

week.  I

at

new

it?s so

so,

except

quoted text -

I posted several links (last month?) and a paper by Franks and Sandberg. ...Jim Thompson

Cool! 4017s rule--they're dead useful and just complicated enough that the anti-555 fascists don't notice. :)

I use them for things like getting guaranteed break-before-make from

74HC4016-style analogue switches. Of course, I've also used PALs as analogue components, so I have no shame whatever.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

eek. =A0I

hil

ave at

.

sine

ach new

R3=3DR7=3D15.3k,

r.

why it=92s so

d 11th

due to

=A0If so,

the

=A0I

xcept

anna

red

The

o2.png/

Yeah, I was hoping for 60dB. When I crank up the frequency capacitance is going to start to byte me, but now I've got dB's to spare.

Hmm you're suggesting that matching between equal value resistors is more important than hitting some exact number. I think, that might be true.... or does matching effect the odd harmonics and absolute value the even?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

=A0I

at

new

=3DR7=3D15.3k,

s so

th

e to

f so,

=A0I

ept

nna

red

The

t -

Oh, Thank you Phil! I'm not above anything that gets the job done.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

eek. =A0I

hil

ave at

.

sine

ach new

R3=3DR7=3D15.3k,

r.

why it=92s so

d 11th

due to

=A0If so,

the

=A0I

xcept

anna

red

The

o2.png/

Hmm you're suggesting that matching between equal value resistors it more important than hitting exact values?

Reply to
George Herold

sured

=A0The

=A0I

ew

vco2.png/

I'm suggesting the possibility, but that's only a suspicion--I showed one example below. OTOH, I also just installed a virtual caterpillar grommet backwards in another thread. :-)

As a practical matter, Phil's 'HC4017 with precision resistors seems best.

FWIW, here's what I'd imagined, where v0-v7 encode a half-wave:

'HC4051 .-----. v7-----|0 | v6-----|1 | v5-----|2 | v4-----|3 Y|---- v3-----|4 | v2-----|5 | v1-----|6 | v0-----|7 | | ABC | '-----' ||| .---. |XOR|

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

easured

=A0The

=A0I

few

7/vco2.png/

st

se

,

ny

Ha, following your bipolar idea, I was wondering if I could program the 4017 for 1/2 a sine wave and use the carry output to flip a +/-1 opamp down stream. I guess that means another chip.

Oh don't do any math on my account. And thanks for the ideas! Doubling the number of steps doubles the clock frequency, which seems to suggest that capacitance will get you at some lower output frequency. I'm assuming that rounding off the nice sharp steps will screw things up.

George H.

Reply to
patricia herold

measured

M. =A0The

! =A0I

a few

he

s/7/vco2.png/

cost

one

hose

ng

le,

ade

many

Opps, that wasn't my wife responding.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

SRS770.http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/vco2.png/

Here we were thinking what a talented woman she must be, jumping straight in on topic like that. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

SRS770.http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/vco2.png/

Or that he used a different name, on the weekends. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

SRS770.http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/vco2.png/

You've been spending too much time in Key West.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(Just back from visiting my daughter, who has an apartment a block from Bourbon Street. The difference seems to be that in the French Quarter the dives cater mostly to tourists, whereas in Key West they're for the locals!)

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

SRS770.http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/vco2.png/

Did you have the fried oyster po-boy at Felix's?

John

SRS770.http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/vco2.png/

I've never been south of Orlando.

Michael A. Terrell