Sine wave frequency

I wanted to ask if the sine wave can only have 1 frequency which is standard or it can take the form of more than 1 frequency.

Reply to
thejim

A sinewave could only have a single frequency if it was on forever. The switching envelope will otherwise interact with the sinewave itself.

Which is what windowing is all about.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

The simple answer is that in popular usage a sine wave is only a single frequency.

But in the real world there is always noise riding on that sine wave, and possibly other sine waves of smaller amplitude. So if you look at your sine wave on a spectrum analyzer, you will find that the peak is not a spike, such as you would see in a purely mathematical Fourier transform, but is spread out over some frequency range.

You would also see that there are harmonics present. That is to say, there are components at 2x, or 3x or some higher integer multiple of the fundamental sine wave frequency.

What made you think to ask this question here instead of, say, sci.electronics.basic?

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

True enough. And even if the sine wave did go on forever, you couldn't measure its spectrum on a spectrum analyzer unless the spectrum analyzer existed forever, and waited until after the end of time to display its result.

But the simple answer is still "Yes, a sine wave is a single frequency." ;-)

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Which people are you talking about? Maybe there are some posts which have not appeared on my server yet?

No, I don't see anyone who seems to be forgetting that.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

"thejim"

** A single frequency is a sine wave AND a sinewave is a single frequency.

Look up " simple harmonic motion " .

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

People here seem to be forgetting it's a *pure* sine wave that constitutes a single frequency. Any form of ' irregular sine wave' will contain components of other frequencies and they may not be apparent from visual examination of the wave on an oscilloscope. Their presence undeniable, nevertheless.

--

"What is now proved was once only imagin\'d" - William Blake
Reply to

Digital communication engineers prefer viewing Sine waves and all periodic functions in the frequency domain , which actually implies analyzing their Fourier transforms. Accordingly you can view a Sine wave as the sum of an infinite number of sinusoids having frequency components which are integral multiples of the fundamental frequency.

"Go easy on the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

ha ha You answer to the Op that that he needs to check up Simple Harmonic motion to understand a Sine wave and now this . oh help my soul! You need basic education man ... The "average" engineer knows what Monsier Joseph Fourier discovered more then 200 years ago Sine (w*t) = a + (sum of ( bn* Cos n *w* t + phi (n)) The addition is carried over for n that varies from 1 to infinity.

Phil "Go easy on the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

"theJackal"

** Huh ??

Better lay off them hallucinogenics - mate.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Go change your diapers.

The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.

Harlan Ellison

"Go easy on the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

Keep panting in your bottomless pit wannabe engineer.

"I actually prefer thugs to fools because they sometimes take a rest"

"Go easy on the whisky"

theJackal

Reply to
theJackal

" The Jackass "

"Phil Allison"

** You are a schizo, f****ng IDIOT - Piss Off .!!!!!!!!!!!!

** Absoulute rubbish.

A pure sine wave is a SINGLE frequency.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"theJackal"

** = the wog Jackass.

Must be one of them wannabe terrorist imbeciles.

Reply to
Phil Allison

"theJackal"

** Fucking wog psycho.