Regarding Square Wave versus Sine wave

Hey I am kind of confused about what are the advantages & disadvantages of square wave input over sine wave input for a cycloconverter when say used in Fuel Cell vehicle. My major concern why square wave is used instead of sine wave is it some recent technology.

I might not have put question in right words but i hope you understand my point.

Plz reply at earliest

Sincerely Jayesh

Reply to
Jayesh

a) Sine is a continuous mathematical function and well defined in time continuum. It was invented with the wheel.(Very relaxing) b) Square? function is capritious and non defined in simple mathematical formulae. We can and do use it to interface with true-false machines called computers. So we invented interfaces to supply those signals.

Nothing recent, one is a friendly pat on head, the other a heavy stick blow. So choose wisely.

HTH

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

Do you have a fuel cell outputting a square wave and you want to convert it to the proper voltage and current for the drive train of an electric vehicle?

Ed V.

Reply to
EdV

Because the solid state devices that switch the high currents are much more efficient when they are turned fully on and fully off (like a square wave). When they operate at some point in between (necessary to modulate a dc supply voltage smoothly following a sine wave), they dissipate quite a bit of power as heat.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I'm inclined to suspect he has DC output from the fuel cell and is trying to figure the optimum drive converter to control the motor.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson