Start your own Fabless Semiconductor Company

Introspection may help. When the world *seems* wrong, sometimes it isn't necessarily that the world actually *is* wrong. In any case, I think you've earned at least some of the responses you've received. -- not all, but some. And your elsewise behavior hasn't motivated me to defend you (or even believe I *could* have helped) in those cases where I may have felt differently.

No, I'm not going to debate netiquette with folks you cannot bring here. When you bring up statements by others who cannot be here themselves, it is fruitless. The reason is simple -- they aren't here and I can't talk to them and they cannot reply. Which only leaves me debating your interpretations against mine of what others may have or may not have intended. They might, should they themselves see the evidence and issues first-hand, change their minds and admit they were wrong or else tell you that you misunderstood what they said. You have to defend yourself on the points and merits as best you can, without recourse to citing your authorities, whom cannot be here and make their own evaluations and statements for themselves. And I won't be party to debating what those folks may or may not believe about some specific situation.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Exactly.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Am I in your kill file (which I presume I must be, given your previous definition of *plonk*), because I had the temerity to laugh at you?

that is rather sad. Although pathetic might be a better word. Luckily I find fragile people amusing.

ROTFLMAOYA,

Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

This is a perfectly reasonable request. I will be happy to comply.

Do you have a preference as to where in the article you would like the "followups set" message to be?

Reply to
Guy Macon

I place them at the top of the message, with blank lines surrounding it so that it cannot be missed. And when I'm replying to a cross post, I try to remember to call out the fact that I'm only reading such and such group, so that those replying in their own groups but choosing not to cross post will know that I won't see their responses.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Yes, this would be a good addition to the header tags:

Fathead-alert: Gay Bacon hijacking attempt

The problem is, that while you understand that you're neurotic, he never will. ...and will continue on his whole life being a fathead.

--

  Keith
Reply to

Oh, crap! Did you hear them wail tonight? "I don't know who the hell he is (I voted for), but I'm against him".

--
  Keith
Reply to

so laughing at another persons post is flaming you?

Solipsist

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

I don't, except when they wave their fragility like a banner making a nuisance of themselves. For the most part they're to be pitied, but in the case of GM all one can really do is to point and laugh at their antics. In the long run this won't do much good either, I've a feeling he really needs help, but he won't get it until he admits it himself.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

IOW, you're imposing a conduct which is not the norm in this group. In some groups, notably the wannabe-hacker and flame groups messing about in the headers is part of their culture. This kind of prank is expected, everyone watches for it and deals with it accordingly. In the more gentlemanly groups like this one, most posters aren't used to this shenanigan. It's taken on trust that a poster will be honest enough not to do anything untowards. You are betraying that trust and creating suspicions. Luckily you're the only one caught doing this so it's easy to watch for. The changes are easy to detect and most newsreaders give warning, but it's still unexpected for those who have grown used to the rather benign atmosphere in this ng.

When taken to task on this you rant away on how you're giving people an "education" on how usenet is supposed to work and how everyone must take responsibility for their postings. IOW, you're telling them how you'd like this group to be run. Hell, this and many other groups have worked perfectly well for many years without your meddling. Who gave you the authority to change a culture that's built up over a long time?

Any flames and ill-will you've gotten lately is entirely due to your own bad temper and attempts to have the last word in everything.

If you really feel this unwelcome why don't you simply stay away?

--
Baking Macon.
Reply to

Up your ass?

--
Baking Macon
Reply to

You would avoid all kinds of flaming if you didn't even show up.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

Hear Hear.

Its the sort of trick I would expect from a smart-alec child.

However its probably more accurate to say that threads die, rather than that they are killed.

As a matter of netiquette, which is worse: childishly setting followups to alt.dev.null, or OT posts sans "OT" ?!

Cheers Terry

PS Hows the 4191A going Win? I've just been playing with my 3577A, measuring glue thickness in some little planar forward converters - I have 150 or so to investigate out of the last run of 9,000.

I had a think about how to do impedance measurement, and came up with this:

[50R source]-----+---[DUT]----+ | | [A] [R] 10M 50R

[Zdut(s) + 50] Va(s) = ------------------- [50 + Zdut(s) + 50]

[50] Vr(s) = ------------------- [50 + Zdut(s) + 50]

Va(s) Zdut(s) so H(s)= ----- = 1 + ------- = 1 + Zdut' Vr(s) 50

so far its worked really well for in-circuit testing of the planar forward converter (2 outputs, planar coupled inductor and planar transformer). With the 3577A I can take a direct in-circuit measurement, and see both the transformer Lmag and output inductor. Otherwise I have to remove 4 SO-8 FETs to examine the effect of Lmag alone.

The prod tech reckoned we had a whole bunch of internal PCB shorts, but so far all I've found is poor core assembly - arbitrary mix-and-match of gapped and un-gapped cores, and poor core glueing - enough glop in the transformer and Lmag plummets.

If I was less lazy, I'd set up the arithmetic to remove the +1, rather than just pressing "A/R". But |H(s)| rises above 1 well below the frequencies of interest to me.

Reply to
Terry Given

Glad you liked it, feel free to use it as you like. I did think it sounded a bit forced without the comma, but I'm no grammarian so I let it slip by. Let's just hope the Apostrophe Police doesn't create a Comma Branch :-)

- YD.

Reply to
YD

Yeah - in the other branch with YD, I noticed that it's more like watching someone hoist by their own petard; like a guy who acts like a fathead, even though he should know better. ;-)

Maybe "blockhead" would be more appropriate - he's certainly blocked out all of my suggestions! ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

that kind of came out the wrong way. So I went to re-write it, and it still came out bad. But I did roar with laughter when I saw what he had done.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

But GM is the ideal foil. Since he's plonked almost everybody here, we can make fun of him all we want, but he'll never see us and thus won't be offended/damaged. It's the best of both worlds!

Very zen: being mean without being mean.

John

After Rich's post, I thought about what I meant a bit more. I find it amusing to see people hoist by their own petards. I laugh at, say, anti-smut campaigners who go out of their way to find and view films etc. which they find "disgusting." hilarious. Actually not a bad analogy in this case.

I like the way you put it so much I'll repeat it:

"when they wave their fragility like a banner, making a nuisance of themselves"

lovely. I couldnt help but add the comma though.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

do you really think they can organise themselves that well?

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

Apparently not. Mr. Nelson (D-NE) seems to rather like the guy. The Uber-Rino from AZ seems to be on board the nuke-tipped B52, from the R-side too. Of course Chucky-Cheese (D-NY) hates him for showing what an intellectual lightweight he really is, in front of the Senate, TV, and his mother. Start the popcorn, Ma! This has all the makeings of great comedy.

--
  Keith

> Cheers
> Terry