Make your own solder

I already make my own PCBs with copper I smelt myself from ores I dig from my backyard. When I'm done there's usually enough slag left over to extract tin and lead. I already have the gallons of nitric acid and the space to refine metals.

Can anyone tell me how to get the rosin inside the solder? I refuse to pay 10$ for solder when I can spend months and millions of dollars making my own.

Every man should know how to make his own solder. I only have a few parts to solder.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Certainly. You will need a vacuum pump, bell jars, hosing, a flat table, and other expensive stuff. Submerge the hollow solder (it may be expensive time-wise to make the solder hollow) into the cup of resin. Pull a vacuum. Wait an interminable time to allow the rosin to creep into the solder's void. Release the vacuum.

While you are waiting, I can send you 10 inches of rosin core solder for a mere $10 just to tide you over.

Yes, of course.

Cheers, John S

Reply to
John S

Ahh, that's the secret. I was making a thin noodle of rosin, freezing it with liquid helium then wrapping a precision sheet of tin/lead around it. Of course, then I used an e-beam welder to weld the seam. Don't even ask how I made multi-core solder.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Oh. Well, now you're needs are getting exotic. That requires a bevatron at minimum which isn't cheap. You got some country property?

Good luck.

John S

Reply to
John S

You can always rob the raw materials out of the heart/lung machine you're going to need later in life.!

But to your question, it's easy. Freeze the solder, then drill it out on the drill press to make a hollow cylinder to accept the rosin. Think: Drinking straw.

Reply to
mpm

You broke into area 52?

Michael A. Terrell

Casting solder is trivially easy. Just put the rosin on teh outside.

Slag can be cast to make building blocks. Make them big though, they crack a lot.

NT

Reply to
NT

Can you get ahold of another hit of that stuff and send it to me?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The Bug-Eyed Vonster?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Aren't the continents just slag floating on "top" of a huge spherical pot of magma?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

But I do wonder how they make the stuff. Start with a solder tube, and draw it down, introducing the thread of rosin somewhere in the middle of the process? It probably couldn't be extruded all at once, because the molten solder would boil the flux and so on.

Does anybody know for real, or who/where I could ask?

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:08:52 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@netzero.com wrote in :

:-) LOL Roll the tin flat, putt the tree with rosin on it, and fold it like a cigar.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

While we're at it, how 'bout flux-cored welding wire? That's STEEL!

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Extruded wire, where there is a hollow pintle that 'inserts' the inner core. Easy to do both single and multi-core solder that way.

--
I'm never going to grow up.
Reply to

That's easy. Just coat the solder wire with warm rosin on the outside, let it cool, and then turn it inside out.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

You obviously didn't bury them deep enough.

If I were you, I wouldn't advertise that you have 'ores buried in your backyard. The sheriff might come and dig up your lawn.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Start with a big tube, insert a big core of whatever, as tight as possible, then draw it down like any old wire (well not quite like any old, but near enough)

Mineral insulated cable is drawn down, conductors, Al2O3 powder insulation and all.

Doubtless there are some proprietary tricks that they don't talk about.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

But why? Real men don't use rosin core. We just use recycle solder from old circuit boards and mix it with liquid rosin.

Reply to
linnix

Nah, that's pretty sensible. I've always said that my ideal project is making a computer from sand. (What's the technical equivalent of "gesamtkunstwerke?)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

PeterD wrote in news:j64d9t$aal$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

extrude it in a semi-plastic state. heat it enough,it gets soft and is easier to extrude.no need to melt it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik