Roll your own transforrmers?

"Spehro Pefhany"

** One fine example of the old saying:

" necessity leads to some muthers of inventions "

....... Phil ;-)

Reply to
Phil Allison

From another newsgroup:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

After the coming global environmental catastrophe hits, geeks will inherit the earth.

Reply to
J.A. Legris

ROFL!

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

I think that's great. I didn't know rust had magnetic properties.

Reply to
Don Bowey

COOL! Nice weld job too!

I would love to buy that guy a nice new transformer if he'd give me his old one as a decorator item!

Reply to
Benj

Damn, that's one ugly corner weld.

John

One can only hope that the guy doesn't moonlight welding together aircraft structural parts.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

The welder was probably already blind before he finished that one weld. Welding by senses of touch, smell and hearing is tough.

Reply to
John Popelish

Obviously, none of you looked at the NEXT picture

and saw that he turned that sow's ear into a beautiful silk purse.

--- Joe

Reply to
Joe

Wow. Now that's the ultimate kludge. I'll copy that to the German NG so they'll get a chuckle as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hehe. And I was looking at that thinking it looked like the start of an ultralight. ;)

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Wow. Like 30% efficient likely. Somebody ought to send those guys some scrap core stock. I'd almost bet that clamping those lams together better would increase eddy currents, as there is no more coating on those lams.

Jeez. I bet they could get a nice one on E-bay for what they are losing on that one.

Reply to
Spurious Response

If you don't fall into a crack.

Long before global warming "gets us", our passing through the centerline of the galaxy will cause a pole shift, and the crust of the earth will not be very friendly with this new arrangement.

This will occur in 2012. Check your Mayan Calendar if you want the precise date. :-] That will be the actual date of the flip (transition through the centerline). The approach we are on through the centerline of the galaxy could well be what is causing the climatic changes.

You can bet that after it happens, this globe of ours is not likely to give us hanging gardens in a paradise for a while.

The road to Xibalba beckons.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Actually its quite sad. The workers have very bad conditions, so thats why they come up with such contractions.

See some other pictures here:

Offcourse one can argue that if they didn't have the job they would be victim of an even worse situation

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

You should snip sigs when you reply.

He's scaling welds.

Must be a supervisor. :-]

Looks like it works, and remains cool in the sweltering heat.

Watch out for that... treeeeee!

Skrinkled up rice pickin' foot skin?

I bet they are happier than hell to finally be a part of the modern world. I bet they all have DVD players and a wall full of 1$ Chinese black market pirate DVDs.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Spurious Response schrieb:

Wow, and i thought my chinese made welding transformer was trashy, as the advertised "copper winding" consisted of a primary that fills maybe

70% of the window and having no varnish dip or whatever, a secondary made of aluminium wire isolated with what looks like paper that fills maybe 80% of the window.Core fills like 80% of the coilform window, is made from overly thick laminations and improperly stacked and as a result, the whole affair draws like 5A no-load current at 400V and buzzes like crazy...Gets hot too.

That transformer looks like its made from strips cut from steel beer cans and iron fence wire isolated with used cement bag paper... Just wow. Really surprising that thing actually works.

Id like to know how the constructor figured out the right number of turns?

The weld job looks surprisingly much like my first welds.Ugly as hell but somehow holds up surprisingly well...

Reply to
Robert Obermayer

It is sad but people from developing countries have told me that it is indeed better to have a job at all. Without it the situation can become so bad that they don't know where the food for their children will come from the next day.

Occasionally kludges are the start into their own business. If someone has a tool as simple as an analog multimeter and knows a little about electronics he can become the town's hero.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Climate change is a secondary concern. I'm worried about all these damn people - they're everywhere! All we need is one generation not to have babies. Any takers? Here, I'll go first to get things started.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Really? I've been childfree for 58 years now. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria