Making your own laptop Whitebooks

Anyone here made a whitebook and howcome laptops haven't gone the way of the desktop PC and people get to make a machine with their own specs?

Anyone know who is selling laptop shells to make whitebooks?

Reply to
John

John wrote

Its a lot harder with everything integrated on the motherboard.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Size constraints. You generally can't fit slots and plugs in there. The laptops are designed to exactly fit the components chosen with little room for error. Some laptops allow you to swap out video cards, but only a few.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

See

You ask a very good question. There's supposed to be a relatively large whitebook laptop market, say 10% of the market.

There was a shop in Brisbane that made them & advertised regularly. I've never seen any wholesaler offer shells but they must be available.

gtoomey

Reply to
Gregory Toomey

Hi Gregory

Asus are supposed to be doing them according to a Cnet article I read a while back.... And FIS.

Reply to
John

Bullshit. Everything can be scaled down to size and standardised if the demand was there.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Never thought bout that. Is it true some companies already started doin that on small scale as above?! Would b great if I can assemble a Notebook for the half of the price of a new brandname one.

Reply to
Damian

Yeah, apparantly it is happening and I think it's a great idea.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Well as I mentioned try ASUS or FIS sorry don't have the URL's here but they're bloody easy to find

Reply to
John

Don't know if the savings would be that high. I see TodayTech distribute some barebones notebooks. Look under Clevo and Macron

I think they are targetted at smaller retailers who want to offer their own "Branded" notebook. Something like Pioneer Computers perhaps and their online configurator. (Remarkable resemblance to the Dell sites layout)

Fred

Clockmeister wrote

The size is irrelevant, the problem is that everything is integrated on the motherboard with a laptop, so you clearly get no flexibility with what is integrated into that motherboard, its either included or its not.

No wonder you only ever get to crash cars.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That is the whole point, changing that so people can customise. It's already happening.

Reply to
Clockmeister

Clockmeister wrote

Cant be done with everything integrated on the motherboard, stupid.

Nope, what is happening is actually quite different. Nothing like desktop PCs.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Proof . come on now Philthys bum boi post some proof incidently hitting a std reply without content will be accepted as proof you have nfi .

Reply to
Mee

Rod Speed committed to the eternal aether...:

And you only get to chainsaw yourself. I'd rather crash a car.

Reply to
Damien McBain