'standard' NDA

I suspect, without knowledge, that it is derived from the same mentality that thinks strongly typed languages require too much boring typing and stop people from changing their code quickly.

That may have a little validity for beginners and small amounts of code, but otherwise strong typing is a strength rather than a weakness.

A good language enables an IDE (or equivalent tool) to do rapid and accurate code completion and code refactoring.

Fiddling with the language is problematic for IDEs, in the sense they will ignore your additions.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I work in VHDL, a strongly typed language and Forth, a virtually not typed language. Both work well if you use them as intended.

I think for hardware a strongly typed language makes for predictable result s since you in essence have to say exactly what you want rather than being more vague and letting the tool figure it out. I recall in my youth people would write C code and once the error messages were gone would ignore the warnings. The warnings were there for a reason, mostly people just didn't know what those reasons were because they had not been taught or given it a ny thought.

On the other hand, I find the wild west of Forth to be very freeing especia lly when I want to program a custom CPU on an FPGA. I don't need strong ty ping because I know exactly what the tools will do with my code, so, no sur prises like you can get with adding std_logic_vector without a strongly typ ed package... or in Verilog.

One of the tenets of Forth is that the design breaks everything down to ver y small units which are easy to see and easy to code. By virtue of their s ize, they don't really need tools to find mistakes. Each module gets teste d and mistakes are found much more easily.

I recall working on a DSP design that was being a bit flaky in some regard. A software guy came over and started to focus on a library routine they h ad which performed a 16 bit read. It was essentially one line of code with a very little bit of error checking surrounding it. The guy spend some 10 minutes staring at that code and I kept trying to explain it to him, but h e wouldn't listen. Being C code, it had to use a type cast pointer to acce ss memory so exactly the right strobes were generated in the hardware.

If you need strongly typed languages to prevent people like him from making mistakes, I think the problem is you have the wrong guy programming.

Eh? Are you making this complicated? Refactoring is great, but what does the IDE have to do with it? Maybe this is something I'm just not up on? I do know in Forth a lot of the tools are called, "the programmer".

???

--

  Rick C.

  -++- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

We only have one of those here at the moment. It's you. Remaining childishness snipped.

Reply to
tabbypurr

You're repeating yourself. Engineers can not guarantee business success anyway. And since they don't always guarantee the product works either...

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Oct 2, 2019, Clifford Heath wrote (in article ):

add

I went to Johns Hopkins University for both degrees.

They stood CS up as a kind of applied math. The EEs took computer design or the like.

BSEE - 1969. MSCS - 1981.

Yeah, JHU had the snooty math department - only pure math, and may it never have any application. And one of their your hires retaliated by founding the department of applied math. He had us students over for an academic tea at his newly purchased house, which had a stone exterior. And there he was with

think that real mathematicians did such things.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Here the most common problem is that there's too little choice, no good ones. It's not an option to vote for someone that's got it figured out.

It's what democracy originally meant. No country runs that type of democracy today.

... in a situation where there are only 2 or 3 lawn mowing services, they're all crap and it's completely impossible to do the job yourself, and it absolutely has to be done. Only then would the comparison be more valid.

I do my job. I of course do not control the result.

Yep. And we know why.

It's not as if any person can be expert in all things anyway. And in practice, political teams can't be experts in most things. The resulting damage should be unsurprising.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

a history of proper guidance. But the same rules apply. Because people do n't want to be bothered with thinking, they let the politicians use adverti sing to promote "messages" that make us feel good or bad (depending on whet her they are talking about themselves or others). We govern our governors by our feelings, not our heads.

Heh. I'm curious where you imagine you're going to find a political party i n Britain that knows what it's doing, and is doing something constructive.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Lol. That's crazy naive.

Have you ever seen the drugstore beauty products and their silly claims? Have you ever tried to get your money back? Do you honestly not understand why you won't?

Then there are health products, massive amounts of which either don't work at all or are never liely to. You won't get a refund in most cases.

Then there are the many companies who just shut down and restart under another name every so often. You won't get too far with a nonexistent business. Some sell entirely nonfunctional products, some just sell troublesome products.

Then there are sellers that refuse to refund in cases where court costs just aren't worth it. And sellers that just lie to present a plausible but false case to avoid a refund being ordered. And sellers that simply don't repay when court ordered.

Heck I could spend the evening giving examples of when your ultranaive view doesn't fly.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

without

azy

edback

a very different world.

ea development by both politicians and non-politicians, often more than one source & stage of input there.

voters. So no one has anyone to blame but themselves for voting without t hinking.

nes. It's not an option to vote for someone that's got it figured out.

You seem to be talking about shrink wrapped politicians. There are always choices. Even if no one has it figured out at that time, you should be abl e to find someone you trust to not screw you in the process.

If not, keep looking. It's not like looking for socks at Costco.

the genie and each one turns out poorly because he didn't think it through. Then people want to blame the genie.

shenanigans is beyond silly.

s.

acy today.

ing you couldn't do anything about the crappy way your lawn mowing service mows your lawn. YOU selected them and YOU keep selecting the same ones.

're all crap and it's completely impossible to do the job yourself, and it absolutely has to be done. Only then would the comparison be more valid.

You seem to be expecting someone to hand you the perfect candidate. You ne ed to be involved and select the candidates before they run. That's why th e crap candidates run the show, they are in the business and they know they don't need to worry about 99% of the voters. They can manipulate most of them by advertising. LOL As if they were selling vacuum cleaners.

You are part of the problem by being manipulated by their ads and what show s up in the news. Most of the news, while not actually fake, caters to the prurient interests of politics. Who said what extreme thing about what gr oup of people and who is calling whom out over what. It's like watching gi rls in a cat fight.

PY VOTER and not doing YOUR JOB!

Your job is more than voting.

't really understand what they're making policies on.

tice, political teams can't be experts in most things. The resulting damage should be unsurprising.

There are plenty of resources available that can educate you and set the re cord straight. You have to be willing to spend some time to get educated a nd not believe all the crap that is spread widely.

Enough. I'm pretty sure you choose to not be informed and blame it all on "the system".

--

  Rick C.

  -+++ Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

e a history of proper guidance. But the same rules apply. Because people don't want to be bothered with thinking, they let the politicians use adver tising to promote "messages" that make us feel good or bad (depending on wh ether they are talking about themselves or others). We govern our governor s by our feelings, not our heads.

in Britain that knows what it's doing, and is doing something constructive .

Screw Britain. We have our own problems here. Beside, in 20 years I'm tol d you will be the single biggest polluter on the planet in no small part be cause you are incapable of using EVs. We will have to nuke the UK to save the rest of the planet.

--

  Rick C.

  +--- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

e the

ring.

e thing works. It just has to sell and not have too many duds be returned.

Have you ever tried to get your money back? Do you honestly not understand why you won't?

But I do. Well, not drug store beauty products. But the store will give a refund if you aren't happy. Lacking that, the credit card company will. I use these two steps often when dealing with virtually anyone I buy from. Right now I've got a $500 claim in on an auto non-repair. We'll see.

k at all or are never liely to. You won't get a refund in most cases.

You don't even try, do you?

other name every so often. You won't get too far with a nonexistent busines s. Some sell entirely nonfunctional products, some just sell troublesome pr oducts.

No, but I still get my money back from the credit card company.

ust aren't worth it. And sellers that just lie to present a plausible but f alse case to avoid a refund being ordered. And sellers that simply don't re pay when court ordered.

ew doesn't fly.

And you would be totally wrong, nearly every time.

--

  Rick C.

  +--+ Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +--+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

nted to

w) is

dl=0

lly

we

ll

bly

re

e as

etty

got tripped up by the issues associated with discretization of an analog mo del. Yes, numbers in digital computers can and do roll over causing amusin g results when integral windup all of a sudden becomes negative. Then ther e is always the sampling time jitter caused by numerous task scheduling and badly done scheduling analysis. Oh, we'll just throw a few digital filters at it...that just made it worse....lol yes, Nyquist criteria must be paid attention to....

Hmm where's Tim Wescott. He sorta showed me that there are times where the D is paramount... Like the thermometers you stick in your mouth and the y give you the final temp based on the slope.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's probably a feedforward into the display, not inside a feedback loop.

Sometimes derivative is great, but usually not.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

be a very different world.

idea development by both politicians and non-politicians, often more than o ne source & stage of input there.

he voters. So no one has anyone to blame but themselves for voting without thinking.

ones. It's not an option to vote for someone that's got it figured out.

s choices. Even if no one has it figured out at that time, you should be a ble to find someone you trust to not screw you in the process.

funny. but a bit clueless

m the genie and each one turns out poorly because he didn't think it throug h. Then people want to blame the genie.

' shenanigans is beyond silly.

ers.

cracy today.

aying you couldn't do anything about the crappy way your lawn mowing servic e mows your lawn. YOU selected them and YOU keep selecting the same ones.

ey're all crap and it's completely impossible to do the job yourself, and i t absolutely has to be done. Only then would the comparison be more valid.

heh, no

If I put enough time into party politics to make a difference, I'd still ge t bozos every time. There are more effective ways to alter the course of po litics.

they know they don't need to worry about 99% of the voters. They can mani pulate most of them by advertising. LOL As if they were selling vacuum cl eaners.

feel free to explain how that works when I don't watch their ads

, caters to the prurient interests of politics. Who said what extreme thin g about what group of people and who is calling whom out over what. It's l ike watching girls in a cat fight.

you don't say

APPY VOTER and not doing YOUR JOB!

duh

on't really understand what they're making policies on.

actice, political teams can't be experts in most things. The resulting dama ge should be unsurprising.

record straight. You have to be willing to spend some time to get educated and not believe all the crap that is spread widely.

lol

n "the system".

I'm pretty sure you choose to try to paint others as idiots rather than get real. You're wasting people's time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

.

ave a history of proper guidance. But the same rules apply. Because peopl e don't want to be bothered with thinking, they let the politicians use adv ertising to promote "messages" that make us feel good or bad (depending on whether they are talking about themselves or others). We govern our govern ors by our feelings, not our heads.

ty in Britain that knows what it's doing, and is doing something constructi ve.

old you will be the single biggest polluter on the planet in no small part because you are incapable of using EVs. We will have to nuke the UK to sav e the rest of the planet.

So you're not able to recommend any politician in Britain that's acting con strustively or even knows what they're doing. That was predictable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

tee the

eering.

the thing works. It just has to sell and not have too many duds be returned .

? Have you ever tried to get your money back? Do you honestly not understan d why you won't?

a refund if you aren't happy. Lacking that, the credit card company will. I use these two steps often when dealing with virtually anyone I buy from . Right now I've got a $500 claim in on an auto non-repair. We'll see.

ork at all or are never liely to. You won't get a refund in most cases.

another name every so often. You won't get too far with a nonexistent busin ess. Some sell entirely nonfunctional products, some just sell troublesome products.

just aren't worth it. And sellers that just lie to present a plausible but false case to avoid a refund being ordered. And sellers that simply don't repay when court ordered.

view doesn't fly.

Your views are so clueless & naive they're laughable.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Business success is often predicated on predictable failure statistics, mostly outside the warranty period. It's a risk analysis, like everything in life.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

I mean that the behaviour falls inside the acceptable range of outcomes with high enough probability, and outside the unacceptable range with low probability. For a bridge, or a commercial airplane, the cost of failure is very high. A toaster, not so much.

The business defines the acceptable outcomes and the risks, and the engineer tries to ensure that the product meets expectations, i.e. falls inside the acceptable ranges.

Glad to hear that :)

That's why modern languages are moving away from the need for such things.

Any computer that is Turing complete can simulate any other computer, and can compute any computable function. If it wasn't for CS, we wouldn't even know that. CS folk work in the area of the theoretically possible (like pure math) not the realisable. That's important, but it doesn't try to solve business problems.

I think you'd be totally wrong there. At least any university graduate.

If you don't like white-space as syntax, look at Ruby. It's similar, but has a more conventional (and in fact quite beautiful) syntax. You'll find fewer scientists use it however, and more web wannabe's.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Products can have their failures analysed. Businesses mostly fail, and those involved in them mostly do not succesfully predict their future. An engineer or a team of engineers does not change that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

:

er.

have a history of proper guidance. But the same rules apply. Because peo ple don't want to be bothered with thinking, they let the politicians use a dvertising to promote "messages" that make us feel good or bad (depending o n whether they are talking about themselves or others). We govern our gove rnors by our feelings, not our heads.

arty in Britain that knows what it's doing, and is doing something construc tive.

told you will be the single biggest polluter on the planet in no small par t because you are incapable of using EVs. We will have to nuke the UK to s ave the rest of the planet.

onstrustively or even knows what they're doing. That was predictable.

Why should I pay any more attention to British politics than the Brits?