'standard' NDA

as

ty

m board for a company who didn't want to bother with something that would m ake so little money. The guy who was head of this product line made the ca se for farming it out and they sprung for the various testing required to s ell it in their product line. Sales are *very* sporadic, but pays well whe n they order more than a few hundred, very well. Technically they own the rights, but unless it becomes part of a $100 million a year product line th ey aren't going to worry about taking it back from me. So I mark it up big time and they mark it up even further. It bought me my Tesla and much mor e.

I'm not sure it wouldn't still be very sporadic and possibly worse with eve rything demanding my attention at once sometimes.

L.

were always hard for me to figure out because the teachers didn't speak th e right language for me to get it. I like to think I understand what the c oncepts are that the kids don't get and can be better at teaching it. A fr iend talked me into pursuing being a sub once. Not only does it not pay be ans, they require a lot of background checking and it is all about when the y need you with last minute calls, literally. Still, it might be interesti ng. If I settle down somewhere maybe I'll look into that.

"Kids these days" I think was a thought by Plato... no, it has been misattr ibuted for a long time actually sourced by Kenneth John Freeman, for his Ca mbridge dissertation published in 1907. So that only makes your though a b it over 100 years old. Heck, maybe it was you who originally said it?

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

There is only one reason. Money.

Too much of a pussy to write what your shit for brains thinks?

Whatever, child. You do not know me or anything about me.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C wrote in news:5a9468aa-26be- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

We had a computer and a phone at each desk. One could look up documents and then print them, etc. One's timesheet. phone calls because the firm had hard line phones. EVERY person had a bench or a desk and a phone and a computer. More doc lookups meant that person got a better display.

Makes pretty good sense.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are mumbling, because you actually think you know what I do, much less what I call it.

Secret labs are not permitted any type of recording devices and have lockers at the door to place phones, paper, pencil, calculator. It requires special kaypad access to get in. I am surprised they allowed one to have a wristwatch.

Plenty of work gets done. Otherwise the feds would not have defined what a secret lab is to us, and we would not make use of them.

We had entire conference rooms that were secured and had white noise generators in the ceiling panels inside and outisde the room.

When ten pilots from three allied nations show up for a seminar on using a data terminal, one makes sure they are the only ones receiving the seminar.

You are worse than a child. You reached an adult physical age. Your mental age, however, is even farther behind than I had it pegged at before you spouted this stupid shit. You act like a ten year old child.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

No, there are plenty of times when even an excess of money won't get people to do what you want.

Lol! I knew he would pull out the "child" comment. Of course people here don't know what you dream about, but we sure know what you write about and it's the same tired crap every day.

You can't run a lab because that would mean you'd have to manage people. You have such a great way with people they would all flock to work for you. lol Employees would take your crap for about five minutes before telling you to take a hike.

You know this. But you won't admit it out loud.

--

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

I seriously doubt you have ever had anything to do with government classifi ed materials. What you describe is pure BS. Fantasy.

I won't continue to discuss this with you since you are in such total denia l. You remind me of a kayaker we call "secret squirrel". He tells all sor ts of people about his work as a secret agent of some sort. Pure BS becaus e anyone who has worked with intelligence communities knows what really hap pens in a black lab.

No pencils, no paper and the men in black wipe your memory before you leave . Great training course.

--

  Rick C.

  +-+ Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

If you are serious then although it is a bit dated now Pressman's "Software Engineering: a practitioners guide" isn't a bad general introduction. There are some gems in it but you have to skip some boring or irrelevant bits. Back when I was at university huge chunks of Knuth were used and we narrowly missed getting his $2^15 prize for an unreported bug we found. He did send us a nice postcard though.

The problem in software engineering is that there is always some slimy salesman selling the next silver bullet that will solve all problems without any effort and management invariably falls for it again!

That does seem a fairly extreme position - most places have a preferred language that practicals are done in. Although doing them some other way was usually tolerated. A friend turned in a project in assembler.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

It does seem a bit odd. Though it was an option in final year physics our linear systems course covered all of the main theory for amplifier stability and closed loop optimal servo behaviour. It was better than the EE course because it explained how and why things work rather than a crib sheet of what is known to work without proper explanation.

Computer science tended to concentrate a lot more on (im)proving the speed of algorithms, design of computing hardware and compilers rather than on linear control systems. They built their own hardware including early token ring based networking and rewrote IBM's TSO/TCAM to work with PDP11's acting as terminal concentrators so they were no slouches.

Incidentally anyone interested in a full scale practical example of the classic fire hose instability will love this one from today's news:

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

Hopefully activists elsewhere learn from that experience and dump 10 tons of stinky rotten tomato juice on e.g. the Pentagon by aircraft, next time. Woo Hoo!

Reply to
bitrex

It's hard to see how any engineer (or politician) can function without some basic instincts for control theory. I see people having crazy ideas of causality all the time. They have no notion of what feedback can do.

Do something. Things get worse. So do more of it.

The day politicians understand what they're screwing with will be a very different world.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You do understand that politicians are created by the voters, no?

It's like a twilight story where the person gets three wishes from the genie and each one turns out poorly because he didn't think it through. Then people want to blame the genie.

So when you badmouth politicians, you are badmouthing yourself.

Get real!

--

  Rick C.

  ++- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You must be very stupid to think that engineers do not perform for pay.

Ask Nikola Tesla. He worked for Thomas Edison.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Rick C wrote in news:ee230361-575f- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are an abject idiot, almost more presumptuous even than Donald J. Trump.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

me

Because they can't work with me otherwise, I suppose. Obviously some folks have trade secrets that are genuinely too valuable to risk, but probably th ose folks can afford full-time senior engineers to work on them.

When people complain about protecting their crown jewels, I say, "So don't tell me about them."

IME the secrets are usually a lot less non-obvious than they suppose, but I 'm professionally not-curious.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

I seem to recall that ended very badly for him, broke and with his greatest projects in ruin. A real nut job by all accounts.

Good example.

--

  Rick C.

  +++ Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

And then there are your winning ways with people.

LOL!

--

  Rick C.

  ---- Get 2,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

John: You asked, I answered. It would be nice to get some feedback.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It's not that simple. Political views & policies are the result of idea development by both politicians and non-politicians, often more than one source & stage of input there.

You should. Blaming me or any one nonpolitician for all politicians' shenanigans is beyond silly.

A major problem generally with politicians is that too often they don't really understand what they're making policies on.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A lot of engineering delivers non-guaranteed results. Look at almost any do mestic electronics for examples.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr