SSD/Flash card blows up harddisk or part of motherboard ?!

Hello,

One of my harddisks just failed ? I am not sure yet, but it remains undetected, or partially damage to motherboard.

I think what happened was as follows:

  1. I may have had haste, I pushed a flash/ssd card into the card reader, but it was stuck in diagonal.

Because it has long metal plates on the SSD card, these plates may have caused a short circuit ?!?!?!?!

  1. Other possibility might be static electricity transfer from SSD to PC, though this seems highly unlikely.

I am pretty sure that it must have been 1. Perhaps this also happened repeatedly over time, or perhaps it happened all of a sudden.

Let this be a BIG FAT WARNING to all users of SSD cards, do not place them in diagonally or stop using them all together, they a risk to the PC/harddisks ?!

I will investigate further in near future.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

Nope.

If you look at the wiring diagram of the SATA power connector at: You'll notice that there are three ground leads between each of the power supply voltages. The +3.3V is normally NOT used or connected. Pushing the connector in at an angle will at worst short a power supply voltage to ground.

My guess(tm) is that you plugged in the connector backwards. The only thing that prevents polarity reversal is the connector keying tab, which is easily and often broken off. This will put +12V on the +3.3V lines. If your unspecified model hard disk drive has something connected to the +3.3V lines, +12V is going to blow it up.

Next time, unplug the power before juggling connectors.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

For now my data drive came back alive after my PC cooled down for 20 hours or something.

Not sure why data drive is now working/recgonized by harddisk.

Could be a fluke of luck... perhaps some component is about to fail.

Don't really have the time to do a backup now... and perhaps not too much valuable stuff on it... except old stuff.

For now I am just hoping that it was a "firmwire" corruption by some kind of short.

Windows surprisingly did report a "firmware" corruption issue.

Windows keeps amazing me with the detailed error detection and reporting it can do.

Though I would like to see even more detailed error reporting....

Keep up the good work Microsoft and driver suppliers !

This is pretty amazing:

Question for the nerdy diehards: Can linux do this ? Can linux detect firmware corruption ?

Not sure what is ment with firmware corruption... perhaps windows ment "bios corruption".... hmmm....

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000