square bullets

I have Acrobat, which pops up in the "printers" list, so I can print directly to a PDF. It works fine, and the pdf's are usually smaller than the .doc files, and the bullets don't change shape.

John

True. My autoexec.bat is two lines.

I don't seem to do complex stuff. I do release a batch file with each embedded firmware release, GO.BAT, that completely rebuilds everything from sources. I can't understand how a GUI-based build process can ever be under any sort of rigid control.

John

But the document reformats when you change the printer from a real printer to Distiller.. IME (based on older versions) Word is more attuned to an HTML kind of thinking rather than precise page layout. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Ghost Script and Ghost Vue are free.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

It always cracks me up when windows users have to go hunting for functionality that any decent linux distro will provide out of the box :)

Reply to
Simon Scott

And Word costs money. But the reformatting issue is with Word itself.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That's hilarious. I'll have to try to find it on the net.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The other night, the "Daily Show" on Comedy Central (Jon Stewart's show) had a piece about Bill Gates meeting with the Chinese President. There was a clip of Bill nattering about how China and Microsoft both saw technology as the key to the future ... and then Clippy popped up on screen:

"You seem to be equivocating in a morally ambiguous situation. Would you like some help?"

SHIFT TO THE LEFT!  SHIFT TO THE RIGHT!
POP UP, PUSH DOWN, BYTE, BYTE, BYTE!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
[...]

those.

A couple of program I use want the path back to their install directories as environment variables. Other than that my autoexec.bat just does a "path" and "prompt".

This is part of the reason for some of my batch files. To inplace program the CPLD, it is much better if the technician just types:

prog 12345

Where: 12345 is the part number of the PCB being made.

The batch file goes to the server and gets the latest version of the file and does the programming.

I use JAM STAPL programming when I can.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Go hunting? I typed "free PDF software" into Google years ago and found

which was a free shell program for Ghost Script. It installed in under a minute and has worked well every since. How many users ever need to create a PDF?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wazzat?

I found Make to be far superior to any batch file, even when I was using DOS. When I built for the final test I'd simply delete *.obj and rerun Make. I don't understand what a GUI has to do with "rigid control". DO you use CVS? If not CVS or something like it, IMO you really don't have the control you may think you have (yes, CVS is a PITA).

--
  Keith
Reply to

What's CVS? Obviously, I don't use it.

I can't delete .obj files, because I don't have any. My embedded code is always absolute assembly of one source file... less stuff to have to control.

John

Yep. Share if you find it.

Reply to
xray

Windows is probably the most complex machine that is regularly used without even reading the manual. Think about it - this thing is COMPLEX. I've found XP to be extremely reliable on a wide variety of design software if used and configured correctly.

I'd bet that 90% of the moans and complaints about XP in this thread, are from people who DON'T READ MANUALS OR HELP FILES.

Read the manuals guys, then complain. IMHO for $100, XP is damn good value. WAAAAY easier to maintain and operate than Linux GUIs.

-Andrew M

Reply to
Andrew M

That's just rubish. One of the reasons most people stay with Windows is that many programs simply don't exist in linux version. And there's probably more freeware/shareware out there for Windows than any other platform ever. Which reminds me, last time I checked OpenOffice was just as buggy, if not worse, than the M$ original.

I hate Microsoft just as must as the next guy, but come on, get some reality check.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep

"Who's HU in America?"

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

All of our hardware source files (VHDL), Sim environment (mostly C++), and tools are under CVS control. Like any highly structured environment it's a pain, but so is running out of control, though perhaps the pain is felt at a different stage of the project.

That's the point. You don't control .obj files. You do source control and build from consistent source.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I found PDFCreator first. I had a license for Adobe PDFWriter, but the install of PDF 7.0 (I think it was 7) caused so much grief that I had to uninstall everything PDF and start over, so lost PDFWriter. PDFCretor is good enough.

How many users know it's possible?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Manuals? This laptop came with *NO STEENKIN' MANUALS*.

BS. Ever try to fix a Windows registry problem? Where's the documentation for that? Hmm? Windows is 25% of the price of an entry level system. By comparison, Linux is free.

--
  Keith
Reply to

If your project is part source and part obj's, are the obj's (standard? 3rd party?) libraries, or do you just want to save time by only recompiling things that change?

I'm *so* glad I don't do big systems! I type "GO" and my entire rebuild is done in, say, 1.5 seconds. And I can archive an entire project, tools and all, on one floppy.

John