spinning yarn

Hello, I have an old homemade electric spinning wheel which consists of a bunch of wood metal and string parts, but the important part here is the motor. Its got an old sewing machine motor, but I want something very quiet and strong with as high a RPM as I can get. I need it to be able to attach to a foot rheostat to start and stop it. There are sewing machine motors that comes with the the foot rheostat but what else could I use? A automobile fan motor? What do the professional makers use, like Ertoel's Roberta or Ashford's electric spinner?

Reply to
sally

I would suggest using a universal motor (AC-DC) with a PWM driver circuit. The pedal would be connected to a potentiometer which is connected to the Pulse Width Modulator drive. This is much more efficient than the old Rheostat scheme.

Reply to
SCADA

The most likely salvage type of motors would be from a small drill press or air conditioner.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Isn't there a category of 90 volt DC motors, often used in exercise equipment? Speed control with an full wave bridge and SCR phase controller. (A neighbor had a baseball pitching machine that used this sort of drive, so I assume it's common off the shelf stuff).

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier

How dare you sir, assume that i'm smart. That was as good as speaking Greek to me, but I will however print this out and take it to the local electric parts store and see i I can get this part.

SCADA wrote:

circuit.

the

Reply to
sally

How dare you sir, assume that i'm smart. That was as good as speaking Greek to me, but I will however print this out and take it to the local electric parts store and see i I can get this part. I thank you for this info.

SCADA wrote:

circuit.

the

Reply to
sally

I'm tired of salvaging, i'd like a nice new fancy motor. The electric wheels run about 600 dollars, so 50-100$ on a good motor isn't a big layout, but it will be a big luxury when one sits to spin for a few hours and you dont have to listen to the clatter while your radio or tv is at a high volume to compensate.

Fred Bloggs wrote:

is

something

be

what

press

Reply to
sally

Lets rephrase that: what is written on the existing motor's nameplate? There should be some numbers (ratings) written on it, such as 1350rpm, 220v, 0.2A,

60°TR, or something like that. Those numbers represent how big and fast the motor is. Once we know those, then we might be able to recommend a more suitable replacement.

Here's to the dog's bollocks. :) (Hope I said that correctly!)

Reply to
Mark Jones

What is the on the motor nameplate?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Yes, treadmill motors are often available surplus for a reasonable price. Their quality is perhaps a bit dubious, but maybe good enough. Typically 6,000 RPM 90VDC (for use with an SCR control, either with IR compensation or tachometer feedback) fractional HP.

Here's a picture of one spinning at ~2000 RPM @30V 0.55A unloaded.

You could also look at Sherline's nice little lathe DC motor and speed control (sold separately), but their web site seems to be down at the moment.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

suitable

I want to know the manu's number- this will give frame type, shaft size, mounting method in addition to HP( fractional I'm sure), electrical and speed. It's almost certainly a shaded pole with cap start.

Whatever that means.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I read in sci.electronics.design that Mark Jones wrote (in ) about 'spinning yarn', on Mon, 28 Feb 2005:

Yes, but you didn't type it correctly. It's :-, not :). (;-)

John Woodgate

:-) One can be smart without being knowledgable...

Your parts store won't have a PWM drive for some unspecified motor, or even for some particular one.

The best bet might be a mains-powered electric drill, on the high- speed gear setting, used with a speed control. There is a type of speed control called an "SCR phase controller" which can be used with a universal (AC/DC) motor. Most (non-speed controlled) drills use universal motors and could be used with this type of circuit. The circuit itself can be bought in kit form from some suupliers. It's basically a modification of a lamp dimmer, designed to respond to the motor speed and keep it steady with a varying load.

Some drills (and drill-type equipment, like the Dremel "universal tool") have built-in speed control, but in either case you'd need someone knowledgable to adapt it to a foot pedal - bearing in mind that high (mains) voltages are in play. If you don't need much power, a modified Dremel would be good, as they spin well above

20,000 RPM.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Yes. Similar motors are used in things like the 'Sherline' minature lathes and mills. Obvious advantage, is lower currents involved for a given power rating, and less voltage drop losses as a result. I have seen the same style of motor used in a wide range of equipment, including some units of the type described above.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

You have misunderstood. The sign :- is what is known to some printers as 'dog's bollocks'.

I HATE having to explain my jokes. Even to Americans. (;-)

John Woodgate

I was always told, "If you have to explain, it wasn't a joke!"

--
Beware of those who post from srvinet.com!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Alright, on the General Electric motor that is on the current electric spinner is this: AC motor FR 317 V 110 Type SDA HP 1/30 RPM 1800

It isn't noisy going at slow speeds, but when it's full throttle, it's noisy.

Mark J> >

electric

big

few

or tv

nameplate? There

220v, 0.2A,

fast the

more suitable

Reply to
sally

I was thinking of my professional dremel type motor, the Foredom flexible shaft motor. It's pretty strong and comes with the foot pedal rheostat, but its expensive and im not sure how to take the handpieces shaft off. I'll look furthur into that, I think that might be the only options, a sewing machine motor or the pro jeweler/dental motors.

Clifford Heath wrote:

Reply to
sally