Non spinning CD spinner

What control signal to the main CD micro would disable spinner drive. Taking the I/P H(ish) of the releavant 1/4 of the BA6398 quad motor driver gets the motor spinning. Taking the I/P L(ish) of the isolated inv buffer on the BA6398 also fires it up. The signal line to this buffer from pin 25 of the CXD2503 main micro is not going negative of mid V neutral. Focus/tracker coils hunt and sled motor moves on power up but no spinner. Both limit switches function

n cook

misreading error CXD2508 AQ

Reply to
n cook

Component CD players won't spin the disc if there is no focus lock due to dirt, weak or dead laser, etc. If the focus coil hunts but doesn't stop, there may be no motor drive.

See the CD player repair guid. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Sam is right. Typically it will make 3 attempts for focus lock. If no lock, no spinning. I used to use the little Radio Shack remote control tester cards to see if there is any light coming out of the laser. But usually if it tries three times and quits you can replace the optics assembly. Scott

Reply to
Scott Lane

driver

fires it

not

spinner.

is

in the

I'd never realised there was a focus check before trying to spin up/ extract any data from CDs. I looked in a troubleshoot manual for a different make and model and flow chart is Does disc rotate - N Does pick up move - Y Is laser lit - Y Is there sound if disc rotated by hand - N ->Go to focus section

Not looked at further but flow chart continued

Focus section Does pulse waveform appear at FCSI on processor - N -> processor defective Does pulse waveform appear at FCSI on processor - Y - > Is Ramp waveform at FEO of

focus&tracking IC - N -> is there a ramp waveform at FSO focus&tracking IC - Y -> check motor/coil driver IC

n cook

Right, so I think it's saying that the disc isn't rotating because there is no focus.

This is asying that it's issuing the commands try to focus but the voice coil isn't doing anything.

Focus before spin isn't universal - portables may not wait, but people should resist the temptation to immediately blame a coil driver or coil if the disc doesn't spin.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: