SPF Records ??

Recently I've been seeing some spam bounced back to me where the originator has spoofed my E-mail address.

I've been told that I should create an "SPF Record" to alleviate this.

The snag, I have a multi-path E-mail route:

World => Inbound => Website Alias Sort => Cox => Retrieved

Sent Outbound => Cox => World

So how do I do the SPF Record?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

The path through which you receive and retrieve your email is irrelevant. It has nothing to do with SPF.

What you'll want to specify, in your SPF record, is the list of hosts that can *send* email using your email address. That would include the Cox SMTP servers that push your mail out to the outside world. It

*might* also need to includ the IP address that you use to send outbound email to Cox - probably not, through, if you're using any sort of authenticated connection to hand off the mail to Cox.

You can specify the Cox servers in your SPF record in any of several different ways, each having advantages and disadvantages:

(1) Individually, by IP address. (2) By IP address range (3) By referencing a Cox domain or sub-domain that has an SPF record. In your case I suspect that approach (2) is likely to be the way to go... figure out which IP subnet Cox is using for the outbound SMTP servers that serve your area, and specify that subnet. You'll have to depend on Cox making sure that *other* Cox customers can't forge outbound email using your domain name... they ought to be providing you with an "authentication required" mail submission port which does some amount of user and domain validation.

Dave Platt

just use this site

fill in the domain box and click go, you can fiddle with it from there.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader