LTspive IV probs

Repost on sci.electronics.cad or go to

Helmut Sennewald will probably be able to tell you exactly what you are doing wrong. If it's a real problem, Mike Engelhardt at Linear Technology will fix it, or see that it gets fixed.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Uninstall LTSpice and start over. To apply update start LTSpice with right-click -> Run as administrator, then Tools -> Sync Release.

It works on win7.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

I go to

ans download LTspiceIV.exe, then install it. Impossible to update; get error message that 'Could not read web file: "
". That file, if downloaded and applied, crashes with the error "Fatal Error: Trouble converting to curly brace notation: Mismatched single quotes in" [[binary after ASCII part]].

So, now what??

Reply to
Robert Baer

Why you stay back in dark ages of win2k?

I really think you ought to catch up to decent windows OS :)

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

Uninstall and re-install dew gnott hellp.

Nope; get menu Open / scan with Avast! / Send to / Cut / Copy / create shortcut / delete / rename / Properties .

Not using Win 7; using Win2K. Last time i had this problem i found the URL was incorrect; it was ../fieldsync2/.. where at that time the ../fieldsync/.. URL was 404. They must have fixed that problem because the URL does have the .GZ file (and the ../fieldsync2/.. is 404).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hey, he was on Windows 98 for the last 10 years IIRC, he must have just upgraded!

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Harumph!! That was Win98SE, i will have you know!

** Win2K gives the user the most control of processes, ability to search for files (AND FIND THEM..which Win7 does not find but one in 10-15), etc. One does not have to buy all new programs - a number of which are so different as to be like Greek written in Chinese.
Reply to
Robert Baer

:)

I suspect that using windows 2k now will be a constant battle if you ever intend to install any modern software, it has dropped off everyones roadmap.

XP is almost as old but still enjoys some vendor support since there are many companies still using it. Vista is a dog but 7 is OK IMO.

Pretty sure you can in fact search by file content in 7, though not something I use. For sure there are "desktop search" programs which do this, as well as search emails.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

"Fatal

I think OP is having serious download problems. I run LTSpice in several different versions of wine under different versions of linux and it works just fine, including updates. I can even get it to run in Win98 native.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Win2k might just be the exception.

Is he still on wet string with a modem that cannot do 33k reliably?

Is there a published MD5 digest or CRC32 for the download he is having trouble with? That would confirm that the download is corrupt.

Usually ZIP files test their self integrity well enough that you don't have bother. I have only once seen a bad self extracting ZIP file that ran for quite a while before finding a piece that was bad (and that was on a genuinely defective installer disk for a product).

Not sure how well gz self integrity checks perform in practice but I have yet to see one fail.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Win2K has as a part of its search capability to search by name, drive, included text, and date range or ANY combo.

Win7 as far as i was able to use was search by file name ONLY and it DID NOT find the 2 files i damn well knew was on the drive (just forgot where); it found ONLY TWO other files out of a total 20-22 that (after i found them) were obvious matches to the given criteria. I proved that by re-booting to Win2K and doing the SAME search on the same drive with the same parameters.

So, it seems by your response,one must BUY an extra program - one that WRT Win7's dim past, was not needed.

Reply to
Robert Baer
[...] AlwaysWrong being AlwaysWrong.

You are correct. Even XP is pretty lame and misses stuff. I gave up on the explorer shell and use Xplorer2. It's pretty reasonably priced at $30 and quite powerful.

Right click on "My computer" and select manage. It's in there.

Reply to
JW

Hmmm... There is this:

But I can't vouch for it, and it *is* MS product...

Reply to
JW

On Mark/qrk's recommendation, I've been using "Agent Ransack" (FREE). Works great.

...Jim Thompson

Thanks. Answer to this question is pivotal concerning me moving to Win7: How can one have small icons on desktop (like Win2K had)? Reason: i have about 70 shortcuts now and have space to add as i need. The name "shortcut" is a true indication of functionality and usefulness and a great timesaver. Thanks for answer ahead of time.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • This proves my proposition that Win7 does not give the capability that Win2K had and that there is a need for something to help. Please note the lie on that page "Few people store all their files in one place these days. So Windows 7 is..". Even in Win2K almost always one is pushed, shoved and kicked to "My Documents" - i count that as ONE place. The few times i used Win7, i found that it was even more pushy. One has to kick and scream ("NO..NO...GO _HERE_") to put and/or get files.
  • At least it "looks" good.. Thanks.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

NP.

Right click on your desktop, select "view" then left click on "small icons"

Reply to
JW