snow

John

Good grief! I'm so glad that my parents moved to southern California from Chicago.

How can anyone live in that kind of weather? Having said that, anybody thinking about moving from there should go to Florida. The 101 is too crowded - full of us "natives".

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Global warming caused that....

Martin Riddle

That's OK, just a bit of global warming - to give us a taste...

Reply to
Robert Baer

The claim is that summers are quite nice.

Although they somehow often don't mention the mosquitoes -- that thrive during the summer -- either.

:-)

I grow up in Wisconsin with my grandparents in Florida.

I came to my senses after college and moved to Oregon!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

In Chicago? You're nuts!

Don't worry. With your state's economic situation no one with any brains would move there.

...with the lefties. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Outside of greater Multnomah county (Portland area) and Eugene it's actually quite conservative out here.

Of course, with the bulk of the population up there around Portland, on national measures the results tend to be liberal.

But the weather *is* quite nice. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Quite nice here, too! Had to turn on the A/C today ;-) ...Jim Thompson

It will drop to 21°F tonight in Ocala.

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

Here's some good video of the Metrodome roof collapse:

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to
BobW

Corvallis?

Come on. You have all the illegals from south of the border. ;-)

If you like rain and clouds.

Reply to
krw

We're supposed to see 16F, in Auburn.

Reply to
krw

Yeah, it's plenty liberal too, being a college town and all. Only a bit over

1/3 the size of Eugene, though, and at least it has a quasi-decent (if not spectacular) engineering program, which tends to produce students who are a bit more conesrvative... not to mention the largest private employer in town is HP, so also people who are more likely than average to be conservative.

Hmm... perhaps... although I'd sure think the benefits for illegal immigrants would be better in California!

True... I do like blustery winter days with rain and clouds.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I knew a family who moved to Corvallis. One of the children went to OSU in EE, the other became a druggie and diamond cutter, last I knew. Left didn't start to describe them.

I meant the Kalifornicans. ;-)

I don't. We had enough of that in Vermont. The only time there was sunshine, from November to May, it was -20F. ...and it doesn't get that cold in Oregon.

Reply to
krw

I went to grad school in Santa Clara County. I enjoyed my time there, because I lived on campus, but after graduating, I was never so glad to leave anywhere in my life. There's no time to think there.

I almost went to work at HP Labs on Page Mill Road, but fortunately they had a hiring freeze, so their offer arrived after I'd already accepted IBM's. Since the one was full time and the other was a post-doc, family responsibilities would certainly have caused me to make the wrong choice otherwise.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

...except during the months surrounding winter. Snow, rain, ice, rain, snow and did i forget to mention rain?

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's Illinois, except 20F hotter in the summer.

Vermont, except they the biggest blood suckers in the world. ...in Montpelier (and they aren't seasonal).

Same here in East Alabama, except no snow and we have pretty hot Simmers. I was quite surprised by the lack of bugs here.

Reply to
krw

Bugs are smart enough to leave Alabama. ;-)

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

San Francisco: No snow, rarely gets below freezing, rarely gets above

70F, no mosquitoes, no roaches, no fire ants/chiggers/redbugs/horseflies, nobody has or needs air conditioning. If you want snow, it's a 3 hour drive away.

We do have racoons, possum, hawks, ravens, seagulls, skunks, and lately coyotes. And way too many Volvos.

John

Apparently football players aren't. ;-) It's actually got possibilities now that they've thrown the Demonicrats out (the new governor may be a real wimp, though).

Reply to
krw