Help converting simple schematic to 110v

Hello, can someone help with converting a schematic from 230v to 110v?

I came across a schematic for a bug zapper online. I'm interested in building the device but need help converting the components to 110v.

Can someone identify appropriate resistors, capacitors and diodes?

The schematic is available online at:

Thanks in advance.

- Michael

Reply to
Michael

Simply double the number of stages in the multiplier (currently made up of C1-C6 and D1-D6) and take the output from the end of the modified multiplier.

Bert

We specialize in UNIQUE items: coins shrunk by ultra-strong magnetic
fields, Captured Lightning Lichtenberg figure sculptures, and scarce
technical Books. Please visit us at http://www.capturedlightning.com********************************************************************
Reply to
Bert Hickman

And don't kill yourself!

What's the name of that sort of multiplier chain? I forget.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Just buy an old neon transformer ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Obama: A reincarnation of Nixon, narcissistically posing in
       politically-correct black-face, but with fewer scruples.

On a sunny day (Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:38:59 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michael wrote in :

Auto-transformer (a 230V transformer with a 110 V tap). You could also use 2 transformers, say a 100 to 12 transformer connected to a 12 to 230 transformer. Is not this thing dangerous for humans too? Better have it in an isolated cage with a light to attract the bugs.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hehe... I hear you! The referenced circuit can kill you in a couple of ways since one end is tied directly to the 240 volt mains, and the stored energy (4.5 Joules) could also be sufficient to kill even if isolated by a transformer.

The cascade circuit is most commonly known as a Cockroft-Walton multiplier. However, it apparently was first created by Swiss physicist Heinrich Greinacher in 1919, and is sometimes called a Greinacher multiplier. This particular design is a half-wave multiplier. Full wave varieties use a pair of cascade circuits, one for each polarity.

Bert

We specialize in UNIQUE items: coins shrunk by ultra-strong magnetic
fields, Captured Lightning Lichtenberg figure sculptures, and scarce
technical Books. Please visit us at http://www.capturedlightning.com********************************************************************
Reply to
Bert Hickman

to a 12 to 230 transformer.

Thanks for the transformer tip. I suspect it will be quite dangerous. My plan is to build a the unit into a Mega Catch mosquito catcher. The unit dispenses small amounts of CO2 and has a fan to suck up the mosquitoes. The unit catches the bugs in a small mesh bag. Frankly I'm getting really tired of the cleaning. I'm hoping that I can build a grid to replace the bag. Idea is that they will be sucked into the grid and vaporized. The grid and components will be buried inside the catcher.

Your point on safety got me thinking however. I'm now wondering if I should incorporate an easy way to discharge the caps in the event I need to disassemble to perform maintenance or clean. Any suggestions?

- Michael

Reply to
Michael

Thanks. The thought of adding more multipliers did cross my mind. It also resulted in a realization that the circuit was designed for DC. Converting to DC and stepping up through a transformer might be the better way to go. Thoughts?

Thanks again.

- Michael

Reply to
Michael

?

Hi Bert, thanks for taking the time to reply.

You sound like a particularly knowledgeable person. Do you have any thoughts on other safety measures to incorporate to reduce the likelihood of killing something other than bugs?

- Michael

Reply to
Michael

Weren't those things shown to kill more beneficial bugs than bad ones? It would be a shame to kill the good ones. Are you designing this thing for indoor use only? Is there an ozone issue?

mike

Reply to
m II

On a sunny day (Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:49:36 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michael wrote in :

A very smal ltransformer should do (in VA), as tehre is hardly any power used.

Maybe a resistor of a few hundred K Ohm over C7, so it automatically discharges if disconnected? If you make it a lower value it will start drawing more then a W.

For example Uc7 = 230 x sqrt(2) = 325 V, U^2 is about 10^5, so 100k makes 1 Watt. The time constant then is 10^5 x 10^-4 = 10 seconds for discharge.

100 seconds for 1M.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Transformers don't work with DC -- they're AC devices.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Hi Bert, thanks for taking the time to reply.

You sound like a particularly knowledgeable person. Do you have any thoughts on other safety measures to incorporate to reduce the likelihood of killing something other than bugs?

- Michael I would recommend an isolation transformer, you can build that with two back to back transformers. In other words 120v to12v[]12v to 120v, but if you go this route you may as well use a transformer with dual primaries and series the primaries on one so you get;

120v to 12v[]12v to 240v, then build the circuit as per the diagram. Mike
Reply to
amdx

What if the Light attracts Humans? What agency do we call?

Reply to
Martin Riddle

It

Well, I do that here,

but calling it DC anymore is a bit of a misnomer.

Incidentially, the 2kV output could also be used to zap bugs, but for = its intended purpose, it is more likely to zap only technicians:

(see zener stack and 0.01uF cap on the visible edge)

Tim

--=20 Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website:

Tim Williams

0v?
.

up

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Mike

Thanks for the recommendation. Do I need anything else between the two transformers (diode?) to prevent potential back flow of voltage from the 12v to 240 to the 120v to 12v?

- Michael

Reply to
Michael

used.

harges if disconnected?

k makes 1 Watt.

Thanks for the help. Can you confirm if this this what you are suggesting?

MC Haip

=A0It

Hi Tim, thanks for clarifying. My lack of electronics knowledge is showing. Question I have about the schematic then is whether it is designed for a AC or DC main... I suspect it is DC however perhaps it doesn't matter?

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Only the transformer "needs" changing OR use another transformer for

120V to 230V conversion. Nothing else needs any change.
Reply to
Robert Baer

(fake) cockroach-waldorf(astoria)..

Reply to