Speed Limits

The bartender says "Hey! We don't allow your kind in here!"

A neutrino walks into a bar.

www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Next time hang the bar higher! Of course, that'll change the position of the neutrino....

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

How would the bartender keep a neutrino out?

At least they don't hang around for too long. "Happy nanosecond" maybe.

John

Don't serve their kind.

Two-for-one?

Reply to
krw

It's close to Halloween, so it must be Spooky action.

Martin Riddle

Yeah, but boy oh boy, imagine what doors this could open up if it's true! Warp engines, transpsorters, replicators, phasers on stun, holodecks, tractor beams - the mind boggles!

And Jump Gates and PPGs for the B5 fen. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

All you have to do is figure out how to convert things into neutrinos and back again.

Just give me Ivanova.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The tennis player?

Reply to
Dennis

s,

Ricn, you need to grow up.

New Scientist lists a bunch of possible explanations

nswers-flood-in.html

none of which point to anything more exciting than neutrinos taking a short cut through n-dimensional space to avoid the curvature of our space-time in the vicinity of the earth's mass.

This might be taken to confirm string theory's multi-brane universe, but that has yet to generate any schemes for making warp engines. transporters, replicators or any of the rest of the Star Trek "technology".

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Scientific American says the entire galaxy is warped.

That accounts for a lot of what I have observed here.

"I could have got a falcon..."

Reply to
My Name Is Tzu How Do You Do

Ok, a mundane. Look up Babylon 5, rent the DVDs, prepare to be blown away...

Ok, you have to see at least halfway through the first (of five) seasons till you really start to get it, then you get blown away! 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

The Claudia Christian character. Hubba Hubba!

She was also quite hot in "The Hidden"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Bill, why don't you go outside and play hide and go f*ck yourself?

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It may be experimental error. Part of the measurement involved carrying an atomic clock from CERN to the target site, and they may not have properly accounted for relativistic effects.

John

She always reminde me of Rita Hayworth, and she has a brain. Musical and multilingual.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

If that's what it is I'd be surprised that it hit the target. In fact it would seem that it should go off at a tangent of the curvature and never reappear in our dimensions.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Gee, I don't know about the rest of you, but I was really hoping for some updated "bar jokes" material here...

-mpm

Three termites walk into a bar, and ask, "Where's the bar tender?"

Reply to
mpm

ecks,

Some kind of over-sight still does seem to be the most likely explanation, but they've had a lot of people working on getting every last detail sorted out.

Maybe there's a malicious joker in there somewhere, busily swapping a

12 metre length of coaxial cable in and out between inspections by high mucky-mucks wearing white coats, purely for the pleasure of driving the physics world nuts.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

That's an interesting point. It isn't as if space is very curved by earth's mass, since the earth is a very long way short of being a black hole, but the bending angle required to explain the difference in path length between a tangent and a circumferential track is 0.4 degrees - 7mrad - and the experiment would have seen a significant effect with a beam alignment alignement error of 0.5 mrad

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

I, for one, am not tempted to follow your example,

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman