Voltage limits

I need to keep an opamp derived voltage limited to between 1 and 5 volts. The limits are a bit loose. So a swing to 0.85 volts or up to 6.0 volts is fine. I drew this up with opamps driving diodes at the correct voltages. But the opamps seemed like over kill. So I=92m thinking of using a three terminal adjustable voltage regulator. I then had the brilliant (or stupid) idea of using the maximum output voltage of the opamp as the upper limit. The opamps are powered from +/- 15V. I=92ll resistor divide the output to keep everything in the right range.

I stuck a few opamps in and they all clipped at same level. (with the same load and supply voltage.) 13.8 volts.

So something like this,

|\ | >-330-+----1k--+---out |/ D | ^ 1k | | +2.6V---+ GND

Is using the max. output voltage of the opamp in this way a bad idea? (There will be some variation in the supply voltage, but not enough to mess things up.)

The 2.6 volts will come from a LM317. (I=92m not sure the 2.6 is the right number...)

Thanks, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

up

put

Sounds reasonable, given your loose limits.

You could set the top limit as the supply rail of an op amp with rail- to-rail swing--that's pretty stable. Run the op amp on +5v, 'n Bob's yer uncle.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

That will slurp a lot of -15 current when it clamps low.

How about this?

+15 |

GND

Do you mind the opamp winding up? Some opamps do strange things when they rail.

You can do a feedback clamp, depending on what the opamp input circuit looks like.

r up

=92m

utput

Ahh a R-R I didn't think about that. I've not used them much. Got a favorite R-R opamp? I'd like to keep the +/-15 volt supply rails... which seems to limit my choices.

There's the LM7332.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

What kind of load on the OpAmp which must stop at the limits? Configuration... feedback, source, etc? ...Jim Thompson

up

ut

I could move the diode further down the resistor chain...

=A0R1

Hmm, use the current limit of the opamp to limit the voltage? (talk about slurping current...) It looks simple but does it work? (I'll have to play a bit.)

No I tried it already and it works fine... there's a bit of 'crud' when the opamp leaves the rail, but the clamp is so that the input down stream doesn't get over driven. It's all slow stuff, freq max of maybe 10-100kHz.

The opamp is a unity gain inverter. I'm adding two signals. A DC level and then an AC signal from a signal generator. I add them in an inverter and then flip them over to get the polarities=92 correct. I looked at some feedback type clamp circuits, but didn=92t see a way to get the +1V limit without more opamps.

(There was this old bounding and clamping EDN article by B. Pease)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

?

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

Hi Jim, I'm summing two signals an adjustable DC level (I can change the range to suit the circiut) and an AC signal from a signal generator. These get added and feed to the VCO input of a 4046. (operted from a 6 volt supply). At the moment the input is two opamps (both inverting) the first sums the signals and the second flips 'em back to positive. I can load the second opamp down as much as I want. (I don't think the VCO takes much current.. but I'd better check.)

Max freq. on the signal generator will be less than 100kHz.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

up

ut

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0|

Hi John, What's the purpose of R2 in the above circuit.

Playing with numbers, If my opamp has a +/-25mA current limit, then this would work with R1=3D400 ohms, R2=3D0 and R3=3D100 ohms. Was that you= r intent?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

George Herold a écrit :

Depending on the performances you target, have a look at clamping amplifiers: AD8036/8037 for example.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

or up

I m

utput

at your

Interesting! Thanks Fred, I'd never heard of those. Do they sell anything slower (and cheaper!)

I'll go see at AD.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

or up

I=92m

output

I actually meant to run the R-R buffer on +5v, but you've come up with an interesting variation.

Here's a version using an R-to-R op amp on +5v:

+15v +5v | | R1 .-+-. 22K | | +5v | |/ | . | +---| Q2 | |\| | |>. |

--|+\ |

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

[snip]

Here you go...

I didn't show your summing stage in front. Tweak resistor dividers to tailor break-points. Depending on your OpAmp, you may experience the need to add some compensation ;-)

If you had a quad OpAmp, there's a very nice way to do it with two diodes and a few resistors. It also has no feedback consequences... it's not in a feedback loop. ...Jim Thompson

I stuck a few opamps in and they all clipped at same level. (with the same load and supply voltage.) 13.8 volts.

So something like this,

|\ | >-330-+----1k--+---out |/ D | ^ 1k | | +2.6V---+ GND

Is using the max. output voltage of the opamp in this way a bad idea? (There will be some variation in the supply voltage, but not enough to mess things up.)

The 2.6 volts will come from a LM317. (I?m not sure the 2.6 is the right number...)

Thanks, George H.

************ Be aware that when you push an opamps output to it's max voltages you can be over driving the input stage. This shouldn't harm the OA but it takes time to come out of over drive and resume linear operation. Can your application handle this? Art
Reply to
Artemus

No, the opamp rails at +-14 or whatever, and the resistor network just scales that.

Variations on these, maybe...

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Clamp2.jpg

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/Clamp.JPG

John

ts or up

at

o I=92m

ut

he output

a?

-

's

Wow, I like it! I was about to ask about D1, but that protects the npn from being zenered by the opamp.

Thanks James.

Reply to
George Herold

Right, and the transistor b-c junction clamps the output to +5.6v max.

Really, the simplest would be using John's 3-resistor network on the output of a R-to-R amp.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

[snip]

Here you go, one more time...

Thinking thru the OpAmp implementation I realized I'd tried too hard, and made the first version unnecessarily complex.

Also this latest version doesn't rely on feedback. ...Jim Thompson

5

tput

put

dea?

gh to

il-

Wow, "my cup runneth over"! Thanks Jim.

It's going to take me a bit to puzzle out how it works. (But don't tell me!)

Yeah I've got a version with diode's, 2 more opamps and resistors.

I was hoping to make it a bit smaller.

George H.

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

ide quoted text -

Reply to
George Herold

Check out my latest post, you'll like it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

or up

tput

=A0 =A0R1

Do you need those 2 opamps? Just capacitor coupling the ac one then adding the 2 via resistors would do in some cases.

NT

Reply to
NT