Here we don't go again...

Yikes.

Dave Nadler

I don't know about the "again" part. The problems with the Boeing 737 MAX were not incorrect software. It was a system design issue, faulty thinking when planning the software. The software did exactly what it was intended to do.

Meanwhile they've found problems with Airbus and other aircraft with similar potential results. Boeing got the press because the worse case actually happened.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

I wasn't specifically referring to Boeing, rather frequent software engineering failures in general...

Reply to
Dave Nadler

I suppose people here will be as little surprised as I was. Most if not all people who could do a decent job at this likely at least read this group... Boeing must have had to take web programmers and the like to be able to get to something at all. Hopefully they are smart enough to start the coding from zero with the right people before trying to put people on that capsule.

Dimiter

====================================================== Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

Something like that. Population of "developers" doubles every five years. Not everybody has the personality defects necessary to think in terms of (contextually) correct software operation.

The acquisition process will cost many orders of magnitude more than the actual effort.

I know of contracts where hundreds, perhaps thousands of people were involved, but only as few as five people could actually do the work.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

When I was younger and naiver I thought this was the modus operandi only of institutes in the communistic block (without the "perhaps" re the "thousands" :-).

Of course any company which grows big enough and outlives by a certain amount of time its founders becomes more or less the same mess and eventually dies.

Dimiter

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

The old joke is - "communism is man oppressing man. Capitalism is the opposite..."

I've worked at places where just the contract pursuit used up the entire value of the contract.

We can hope they die. They turn into zombies these days. Look at Boing... er, Boeing.

Reply to
Les Cargill