SOT: best beers?

Oh, well. There'd be plenty of good company left. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Poor phil

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

Import it from New Zealand...?

They have quite a dairy operation.

Even in the southern Philippines, fresh milk is imported from New Zealand.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Just a generalization to illustrate a point.

You can't dispute the fact that Miller, Budweiser, Coors, etc.. are among the most popular beers in America. They either like the beer or are so weak minded that they believe the advertising - take your pick.

Not disputing that there are bad European beers, I don't get to sample them all so I can't make that judgment. But the ones that make it across the pond are, generally speaking (again) better than US beers.

Newsgroups
default

FYI, ever made beer beef? Salt & Pepper rub a roast, brown it in a frying pan, and put it in a crock pot with one or two cans of Raineer beer. "Good" beers don't do as well.

I believe you are drinking at the wrong Pubs and Microbreweries.

By the way, I think Guiness is a really mediocre beer. IMO it's still in business only because of the hype.

Reply to
Don Bowey

How about vodka, seltzer, and malt powder? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Because they're cheap.

John

Don, I THINK you mean Fat Tire Amber Ale- which has a picture of an old-fashioned "fat tire" bicycle on the label - a product of the New Belgium Brewing Company right here in beautiful Fort Collins, Colorado. About 120 miles north of Colorado Springs.

Fat Tire's pretty darn good, and certainly one of the most widely-known of the local brews, but I pity you poor people who aren't able to get their 1554 Brussels Style Black Ale yet......yummmmm.......

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Vodka, Tang(tm) and lots of ice.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

My intro to Fat Tire was in Colorado Springs in about 1997, in a brew pub that was not yet open for business - they were still battling the State for the right to serve beer in the place it is brewed. The BIG issue is that it cuts out the distributor. The manager said the Colorado Springs brewery was their first.

I think Belgian Ales are in a class of their own. Very pleasant and hard to tell from a desert wine. Pyramid, in one of their Washington pubs, made a Belgian White that I especially liked, but I can't find it around Oregon.

Reply to
Don Bowey

Hmmmm...not sure about a C. Springs version, still. Assuming this IS Fat Tire we're talking about, the Springs brewery was definitely NOT the first, and the manager was either doing a bit of marketing or lying through his teeth (like there's a difference between those...;-)). New Belgium has been here in Ft. Collins since 1991, and are probably the most successful of a pretty fair number of local microbreweries. Read more about 'em at:

Other local beers you may have heard of include 90 Shilling Ale, by Odell Brewing (here since 1989):

and Fort Collins Brewery's Chocolate Stout. Not sure why we've become such a mecca for microbrewers, but we are. Oh, yeah, there's another little brewery that went in north of town a few years back.....sounds like it was named after some lady, Ann Hiser Bush or something like.....;-)

Bob M.

Reply to
Bob Myers

Speaking of "cooking", I recently picked up a bottle (just one!) of something called Hecht Gehlenferla Rauchbier (Germany), and the label also reads: "Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer"

And there's a URL:

(which I haven't visited.... yet.)

I'm pretty much guessing it's going to taste terrible....?? It's possible this baby could give N'Goma a run for the money...

Reply to
mpm

"Smokebeer from Schlenkerla is a dark, aromatic, bottom fermented beer with

13.5 percent original extract, which is equivalent to an alcohol content of 5.1 percent. No doubt: there are stronger beers, but nevertheless, one should not underestimate."

Sounds worth a try.

Reply to
Don Bowey

There are far better stouts than Guinness.

Sam Adams make MANY fine beers. His beers garner MANY overseas awards which used to be held by Euro brands.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

90% of the residents of Golden work at Coors, and 90% of the workers at Coors live in Golden.

Golden gets about 1 1/8 inches of rainfall a year, and nearly ALL the yards are in desert motif.

I'd say that's a good reason to call it "Golden".

One can stand in Golden, watch the HUGE clouds POP over the mountains, and then watch what town in Denver it rains on. Half the time, it dries up before it even makes it to the ground.

Denver is HUGE and flat, for the most part, and has nearly a perfect grid for a street system, and one can tell at ALL times EXACTLY where one is with respect to the downtown Denver capital building by merely looking at a street sign.

A ten thousand block is TEN miles from downtown. It is very simple. The only divergence from a perfect grid layout is where the two rivers converge.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Don Bowey snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net posted to sci.electronics.design:

Ever made beer? It can be quite interesting.

Reply to
JosephKK

John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Oh really. How about you actually do a fresh, real price comparison. Don't tell us, just do it. In the US, popular means overpriced.

Reply to
JosephKK

mpm snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

If you are are not ready for a German Rauchbier give it to me. It is a very different style of beer, there should be the distinctive smoky taste to it.

Reply to
JosephKK

(snip)

No, it's too much like work, My older son used to brew beer, but I'm an occasional wine maker.

Reply to
Don Bowey

No - it's not worth it if the amount of time required to make it exceeds the amount time required to drink it. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise