SOT: best beers?

Please don't attempt to speak or all Americans. We appreciate them enough that we can tell when a highly touted European beer is crap.

Reply to
Don Bowey

We went out to the Bell Tower on Polk street [1] last night, an after-work thing. It's a real dive in a bad neighborhood, and the food is fabulous. The little coasters said CHIMAY so, on your advice, we got one. It's red and yummy. I'm not sure if it was the blue label... the lighting was bad.

John

[1] There's a region of San Francisco where all the streets are named for Bad Presidents: Polk, Jackson, Buchanan, Filmore, Hayes. There's a Bush street, too.

Bush Street, isn't that down on North Beach ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Now, now, don't be prejudiced. Some Australian beer is crap, too.

John

I've got the heating element wound around a clay core that I made by hand - I picked an arbitrary length of Nichrome (it reads 23 ohms at room temperature), and cut up a barrel splice to crimp onto the ends to connect to it; but then it got put on the back burner because I had some actual work.

Thanks! RIch

Reply to
Rich Grise

You probably got the red label. Blue label is dark and, IMO, tastier. I think the alcohol content is >7%. Ah, to be a Trapist Monk....

Mark

Reply to
qrk

My error. I haven't been to Australia yet.

The only really good beer I had on one trip to the U.K. was in St. Andrews, Scotland. I sampled my way there, from London. Don't remember the beer name, nor the brewery (the Firkin something), but it was refreshing.

While I'm wasting bandwidth, I need to promote, again, Terminator beer made by McMenamins. It's only available at their micros in Oregon and Washington. For me it's the best yet.

Reply to
Don Bowey

A follow-up regarding McMenamins:

Don Bowey

Yes, I agree... very useful information here.

The good thing about Google Groups is it keeps a searchable archive. (Unless google groups messes up, which it does now and then.)

I got the La Rossa after going to a friend's house. He recommended that, plus one other beer you can only get at a microbrew/restaurant here in Sacramento (BJ's). So I went to Trader Joe's and bought two 6- packs of the stuff, since he was supposed to come to a party over at our house in a few days. He didn't even show up (but his wife did - she said he was too shy for parties). I still have the stuff in the pantry, and wow it's good...

Before La Rossa I liked Blue Moon Belgian White and Sam Adams.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

The wheat beer sounds interesting; I'll look for it.

John

No, It's closer to South Beach!

We also have Beaver Street, Colon Street, Uranus Street, and Treat Avenue. And Radio Street.

And, of course, there's a Larkin Street, not far from where we work on Otis. We named The Brat with three San Francisco street names, just for fun.

John

I get wheat beer when I forget about a half eaten bowl of breakfast cereal left out for days.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Hops snob!

I can't drink that dark bitter glop that most beer lovers go for. If I can't see through it, I generally can't drink it either. But then, I've been known to put 8 or 9 packets of sugar in my coffee.

Neat beer: Purple Haze from Abita Springs, a few miles from my dad's place north of Lake Pontchartrain. It's a nice wheat beer with just a hint of raspberry.

John

Beaver Uranus Larkin? =:-O

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I always thought those two signs you see as you drive down Market Street would make great names: Montgomery Post and Stockton Ellis.

Tom

Reply to
Tom2000

To me, it ain't beer if it ain't made with Barley.

Wheat beers SUCK!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

To you, everything sucks. How grim.

John

Not that it matters, but in Jacksonville Florida, all the lumber yards are on Beaver Street.... Weird, huh?!

Reply to
mpm

These are anathematical, ersatz beers of the worst sort. If this were all there was on offer in a pub, I'd walk out without a drink.

Reply to
Paul Burke

Paul Burke snipped-for-privacy@scazon.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Maybe you have read a different history of beer than what i have been exposed to. Please explain why these products are anathematical and ersatz when compared to real beer as you are defining it.

Reply to
JosephKK